Waived: [STL] F Jakub Vrana waived by the Blues (cleared)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yep, I 100% expected to see this after his performance in Chicago the other night.

Was one of the worst performances I’ve seen by a player, just a complete refusal to battle for pucks. That was after he had been scratched multiple times already so he still didn’t get the message. Not acceptable, so he can get lost.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Funny how some folks still blame Berube for his usage. As if every coach hasn't hated Vrana for his lack of compete/effort/caring. This is who Vrana is. We gave him a second chance to prove he is NHLer and he didn't want it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his last NHL game. Good riddance.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
While I agree they coaching staff didn't use him correctly, he didn't give the coaching staff a reason to use him. Probably the worst floater I have ever seen.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Funny how some folks still blame Berube for his usage. As if every coach hasn't hated Vrana for his lack of compete/effort/caring. This is who Vrana is. We gave him a second chance to prove he is NHLer and he didn't want it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his last NHL game. Good riddance.
I mean, right or wrong it's an old school Western Canadian coach with one-track mind. A guy with Vrana's ability should have been given even more rope in the top 6, or top line. Instead, the coach looks for intangibles and then banishes him. You don't acquire players like that and then nitpick their defensive game. You put them on the top line, or don't acquire them. So blame the GM.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I could see Montreal taking a flyer on him with the extra money they have due to injuries and the fact he’s on an expiring deal.

And everyone knows Chicago could use a forward.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
In this respect, all I know about him is that it seems multiple teams have given up on him and he entered the assistance program last year. What's the deal here?

Keep in mind that nothing has been directly confirmed by the organizations or the player...

It's all but guaranteed that his player assistance stint was for drug rehab. The speculation comes after. Right around the time he entered player assistance, he removed all references to the Red Wings from his social media, which later came into question when Detroit waived him.

Essentially, he went to player assistance, came back, Detroit put him in GR for conditioning and eventually waived him. Nobody claimed him, so he went to Grand Rapids. He stayed in Grand Rapids for awhile and Detroit was still competing for a wild-card spot at that point, so it was obvious to everybody that whatever the issue was, it was great enough that Detroit would rather bury a good scorer in the minors while competing for a spot than have him on the roster.

My belief is that Detroit caught wind of a drug problem and told him he was going to rehab. Vrana wasn't open to it and Detroit essentially told him you're either going or we're terminating your contract. (This would spur Vrana dumping Detroit from all his social media) Vrana went to rehab, came back, and either copped an attitude with management about being sent to rehab, or quickly got back into drugs and Detroit decided they didn't want him around all their young influenceable players. Reminder... This is only my speculation.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean, right or wrong it's an old school Western Canadian coach with one-track mind. A guy with Vrana's ability should have been given even more rope in the top 6, or top line. Instead, the coach looks for intangibles and then banishes him. You don't acquire players like that and then nitpick their defensive game. You put them on the top line, or don't acquire them. So blame the GM.
Please. He was acquired for nothing. nobody wanted him and we gave him a chance. he proved unworthy of it. That is 100% on Vrana.

You want to say we shouldn't have acquired him, okay. Not like we gave up anything. Army thought Vrana would bust his butt for one last chance in league. Army was wrong. Didn't work but made sense to take a chance, as we are bad team and can afford it.

And Berube may be nearing end of the line, but I don't blame him at all for Vrana deciding he wasn't NHL player. He is a hockey coach, not a dog trainer.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

So you're saying put a player in the best position to succeed while also limiting his liabilities?? I don't know.... Berube is such a remarkable coach, it was probably better trying to turn Vrana into Bergeron.

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad