Waived: [STL] F Jakub Vrana waived by the Blues (cleared)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Your examples are pointless though. Connor Mcgregor isn't the same as replacing Goodrow etc or whatever 4th liner you wanna pick out of a hat. Teams will not want him with their AHL team. Young teams may not want him around their young players. Veteran teams ala the Bruins might have a core not willing to deal with him.

However Connor MacGregor on his own can sell a fight card people wanna watch. your example was apples to oranges.

You completely missed the point I was making, you didn't understand it

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
There need to be a 3 way deal for Vrana to be worthwhile. 50% retention from St. Louis and 25% retention from the 3rd team.
Detroit is already retaining 50%, so the Blues only have 2.65m. They could retain again and try and trade him at 1.3m.

That is almost equal to the buried contract cap hit anyway.

Reactions: LeafChief

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
There is no team in league regardless of who it is that has 23 players better than Vrana, not one.
Vrana might be better suited for a 2nd line spot, might be more talented than some guys playing on the 2nd line, but no one is kicking a guy off the 2nd line to make room for Vrana because of the massive question marks associated with him - and they're sure as hell not playing him on a 3rd or 4th line even if he's vastly better than guys playing on those lines, because he doesn't have the skill set needed to do what those lines are asked to do.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Caps won the Stanley Cup when he was there and he played on a line with Nick Backstrom and TJ Oshie. They had just won back to back Presidents Trophies. Hershey also lost in the Calder Cup finals when he was in the AHL as a member of the Bears. So no I don’t think team success or lack thereof was a factor. He’s 27 with the talent to be a first line winger and he’s been booted off of six teams in three different leagues in nine years.
Not talking about his cup contending playing days obvoiusly. Those teams were outstanding. Its the trade to the wings, then recovery, then to the blues, and now hes completely lost interest. I would want to see him on a contender before I completely write him off.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Vrana should have been legitimately tried on our PP. The PP has cost us games and been an embarrassment, there was no reason not to try a guy with a great shot and one-timer out on the PP. Worst case scenario? Nothing changes. Best case? maybe we get some extra wins, a spark of life into the team and Berube actually keeps his job.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Saw this one coming from 5.75 miles away.
Saw this coming from 1.609 km away

Detroit is already retaining 50%, so the Blues only have 2.65m. They could retain again and try and trade him at 1.3m.

That is almost equal to the buried contract cap hit anyway.
Like any team will trade for him lol. You probably need to take a cap dump In Addition to that retention

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
There is no team in league regardless of who it is that has 23 players better than Vrana, not one.

Regardless of if It's Vegas, Toronto, Chicago, SJ,the NYR or anybody else there is at least 1 player on every single that Vrana is more talented tgen.

He'd get offers.

Define "better." Some fans seem to think that offense is the only thing that matters and if you don't show up on the stat sheet that you're not an important player. If you really wanna get specific, I'm sure there are some players in the KHL or Europe that have "better" offensive skills than many NHL players. But there is a reason they're not in the NHL. Perhaps Vrana will join that group in the near future.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Define "better." Some fans seem to think that offense is the only thing that matters and if you don't show up on the stat sheet that you're not an important player. If you really wanna get specific, I'm sure there are some players in the KHL or Europe that have "better" offensive skills than many NHL players. But there is a reason they're not in the NHL. Perhaps Vrana will join that group in the near future.

Well let's use my team who is the better hockey player Vrana or Ryan Reaves?

What about Vrana VS Bobby Mcmann?

I know the answer and so do you and in the case of Bobby Mcmann there is a very good chance you don't know who that is.

And that's my point every team has at least 1, and probably 2 or 3 players like that that Vrana VASTLY more skilled then, I think there would be teams that would take a chance because the talent is there.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Well let's use my team who is the better hockey player Vrana or Ryan Reaves?

What about Vrana VS Bobby Mcmann?

I know the answer and so do you and in the case of Bobby Mcmann there is a very good chance you don't know who that is.

And that's my point every team has at least 1, and probably 2 or 3 players like that that Vrana VASTLY more skilled then, I think there would be teams that would take a chance because the talent is there.

More skilled, sure but it depends on what role you need filled. I bet the average first line player in the KHL is more skilled than a lot of NHL players. The Blues were already that team to "take a chance" on Vrana, and how did that work out? If another team thinks they can get something out of him, then by all means go ahead.

Reactions: Blueston

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Blues fans, is this just play related (deserved), or is there more reasons for him being waived?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
If he does report to the AHL it may be a good humbling experience for him. I hope he does use it as his last chance…maybe with a new coach now the Blues will call him back up if he does well in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad