Proposal: STL-DET

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Okay what about Dunn for a 2nd and a 4th?
So we drafted Dunn with a second, invested years of coaching and development into him, watched him flourish in the AHL and perform admirably so far in the NHL...yet the Blues are going to trade their 22 year old cost controlled LHD (when we have 2 LHD on expiring contracts) to gain a 4th round pick?

Does that make sense/sound like a good plan to you?

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Okay what about Dunn for a 2nd and a 4th?
As 76 said, we've been patient with Dunn, he's maturing well and we like his game. Like Parayko, he's a keeper.

Personally, I don't think you are off that much with that offer if you were to go after Pietrangelo. Athanasiou fits but you might have to add something else besides the 1 and 2. Consider taking on a contract.

E76

Sep 29, 2018
Woahhhh, Yzerman isn't the Detroit GM yet; don't expect to see anything magical like this until next year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How am I obsessed, because when ever a crazy leaf fan wants petro or parayko I put up a realistic offer blues fans may consider. Ok sounds about right.
You comment constantly on the Leafs. Even when they aren't the topic of a thread.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Uh huh, so it's a no on Parayko and now you want Dunn. That also is a big no, didn't develop him just to help the Wings out.

So again, why do picks help the Blues more than actual players? And if there's a lack of speed here in STL why would we trade either of our 2 fastest, best skating D?

Reactions: 67Blues

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yes. He’s 19 playing 20 minutes a night on Frolunda. That don’t happen unless you can play your ass off.
Look sometimes I agree with you sometimes I don't. At this point onetime trading petro,parayko, Dunn or edmondson, with jaybo gunner leaving is a bad idea. We have no idea how this kid will develop. He could be another schmaltz. It's just not good to move defenseman at this time unless we get a huge over payment

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yes. He’s 19 playing 20 minutes a night on Frolunda. That don’t happen unless you can play your ass off.

Ok thx Perry, so short term my question would then be who replaces Dunn? I see both Bo and Gunn gone after this season and Dunn has a skill set I don't see being easily replaced.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Look sometimes I agree with you sometimes I don't. At this point onetime trading petro,parayko, Dunn or edmondson, with jaybo gunner leaving is a bad idea. We have no idea how this kid will develop. He could be another schmaltz. It's just not good to move defenseman at this time unless we get a huge over payment
I understand your concern. Right now we have eight defenseman. I would re-sign guns. Detroit will find out very quickly that Dunn cannot play defense. I like Dunn. However, he really is horrible defensively. You are getting a high second round pick. Detroit isn’t very good. This guy would be a first round pick in this year‘s draft, if he was available.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Dunn showed that he could play defense in the AHL and last year in the NHL. He was the best defenseman in the AHL at one point. He’s having what we call a “sophomore slump”. Trading him for lesser pieces does nothing for the Blues unless you think that Dunn not only continues to plan as he has his year, but also get worse. Even Dunn at the level he has shown this year is worth more to he Blues than lesser pieces at this point in their hunt for a cup.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Vince Dunn is a freshly turned 22 year old playing 15-18 minutes a night in the actual NHL. That doesn’t happen unless you can play your ass off. He is also almost .5PPG as a left handed defenseman at this age. That is not something we can replace.

I get a second round draft pick is what we actually used to pick him. The thing is there is absolutely zero gaurantee that you pick a Vince Dunn instead of a Tommy Vanelli. There is also no gaurantee that Lindstrom can play at the NHL level.

The only real benefit of a deal like this would be the fact that we would only have 3 defenseman on the roster worth using a protection slot on when Seattle has its expansion draft. At the same time though this would mean that they would use the pick on another roster player.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I understand your concern. Right now we have eight defenseman. I would re-sign guns. Detroit will find out very quickly that Dunn cannot play defense. I like Dunn. However, he really is horrible defensively. You are getting a high second round pick. Detroit isn’t very good. This guy would be a first round pick in this year‘s draft, if he was available.

Dunn really isn’t horrible defensively. He’s average with the ability to make way above average plays. He also is pretty prone to making over aggressive mistakes. His consistency is his issue which can be corrected. He’s generally heavy on the puck carrier which is a good sign from a young defenseman that plays the way he does. He’s also fairly physical.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Vince Dunn is a freshly turned 22 year old playing 15-18 minutes a night in the actual NHL. That doesn’t happen unless you can play your ass off. He is also almost .5PPG as a left handed defenseman at this age. That is not something we can replace.

I get a second round draft pick is what we actually used to pick him. The thing is there is absolutely zero gaurantee that you pick a Vince Dunn instead of a Tommy Vanelli. There is also no gaurantee that Lindstrom can play at the NHL level.

The only real benefit of a deal like this would be the fact that we would only have 3 defenseman on the roster worth using a protection slot on when Seattle has its expansion draft. At the same time though this would mean that they would use the pick on another roster player.
I agree with you. I see another Brian bennning /shatty on our hands. Projecting is a very difficult thing. What is scary Is he is our best option on the power play. My idea of a move would be very shrewd. I think it makes us much better over the long haul. I do view him as inconsequential should we make the playoffs as the blues will be more conservative. Petro and Parayko will eat those minutes cautiously on the PP. Just my alternative perspective. I understand yours as well.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Dunn really isn’t horrible defensively. He’s average with the ability to make way above average plays. He also is pretty prone to making over aggressive mistakes. His consistency is his issue which can be corrected. He’s generally heavy on the puck carrier which is a good sign from a young defenseman that plays the way he does. He’s also fairly physical.
Some of coming up with a deal is getting value of a player from another teams perspective. Not that I would do it....what would I do with my Dunn jersey? He’s getting better....eh....we’ll see.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Some of coming up with a deal is getting value of a player from another teams perspective. Not that I would do it....what would I do with my Dunn jersey? He’s getting better....eh....we’ll see.

I’m not saying he’s getting better. I’m just saying inconsistent play from young defensemen who aren’t superstars should be expected. Especially young offensive minded defensemen in the defensive zone.

It will work out with time. Is it exactly great for right now and where we are currently? Probably not, but I’m assuming a little has to do with the switch in d/breakout schemes that all our entire team has struggled with in the DZ

Getting a value from other teams perspectives is certainly useful. But a lot of the “values” that are put on players are based upon 3 or so viewings of a nationally broadcasted game per year as well looking at stats and trying to perceive the value based off of those stats without having a great knowledge of how to do so clearly and objectively.

The best thing you can generally gather form a fan base is the other teams needs and if the two align. It is definitely a fun excercise though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad