Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Edmundson and Bokk is a solid return. Good job, value-wise. But doesn't make much sense from a "fit" perspective. Seems crazy that Carolina ends up with ANOTHER veteran D, and one who has a 3M+ cap-hit. They were overloaded on D after signing Gardiner. So they trade Faulk and get a good return. Great. Except that part of that return is another NHL D. I'm confused.

Doesn't Carolina now need to make yet another trade? To make room for Edmundson?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Canes essentially wound up with a plug-and-play replacement for De Haan and balance out their left side/ride side with Gardiner in/Faulk out. It just took a winding course to get there.

Doesn't Carolina now need to make yet another trade? To make room for Edmundson?

No, because TVR is injured and won't start the season

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Faulk
Edmundson-x (pick one of Fleury, Bean, McKeown, Sellgren, Priskie)

Reactions: cptjeff

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know how much Faulk is really going to help the Blues, but I also don't think they really gave up all that much. Bokk is a nice prospect but I don't think they will miss him given their window is right now.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Bokk is a really great pickup, equivalent to what I thought that Faulk would return with an extension. Was just drafted in the 1st round last year, RH shot. Edmundson may be flipped for more picks. Good trade for both teams!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wow great deal for both sides

Instantly I liked it for STL, then I leaned more liking it for Canes.... I keep going back and forth

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

PerimeterPlier

Mar 8, 2019
Looks like the Canes got a decent deal. Edmundson's going to play for a while, then get traded for a pick at some point before the trade deadline to extract more value. At least I hope so, otherwise this doesnt really solve the logjam on D.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Edmundson and Bokk is a solid return. Good job, value-wise. But doesn't make much sense from a "fit" perspective. Seems crazy that Carolina ends up with ANOTHER veteran D, and one who has a 3M+ cap-hit. They were overloaded on D after signing Gardiner. So they trade Faulk and get a good return. Great. Except that part of that return is another NHL D. I'm confused.

No. Assuming Edmundson stays around, he'll slot in as the #3 LD

Slavin - Hamilton
Gardiner - Pesce
Edmundson - TVR (prospects until TVR returns)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally I'm glad. I don't think Faulk is what Anaheim needs, no matter how many times people parrot that they need a RHD. Kase for Faulk would be trading a good young forward for an older defenseman who will be 30 by the time making contender moves would even matter. And the Ducks shouldn't be duplicating Cam Fowler's contract for Cam Fowler level defensive ability.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Wonder if the fact Carolina was willing to do this, before we get clarity of Buff situation, is indicative of anything?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean there is more risk on Carolina's side, but this seems like a pretty fair deal all around to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad