Sting and Shaggy

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If it weren't for the kid dying half way through the song, Tom cochrane's " big league" would be good but I suspect most people in Vegas and Washington wouldn't know who he is.

Didn't the dropkick Murphy's play in the finals when Boston was in it?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Kid rock would never want to join a club that would have him!

It was a joke, but somewhat sad that you think that hack #1 flo-rida is a bigger draw than hack #2 kid rock.

Seriously? Flo-rida? Yikes!

He's no little John!
And I suspect that the demographic that is "paying hockey fans" couldn't pick flo-rida out of a lineup if they had two free guesses, no matter how popular he is.

At the very least, I've seen the kid rock the winged wheel before his all star performance.
Flo-rida is in Keenan Thompson territory.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I was rooting for Vegas until I saw Imagine Dragons performing, then switched to the Caps. And then they did this. What the hell is with the choices these teams make?

ID is at least currently popular, so there's that

Iron Mosher

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not a Sharks fan but I thought them getting Metallica to play back in 2015 was pretty awesome.

James and Lars are fans of the team, too. I saw them walking towards me one time on the club level and had my hair down in metal mode. I tapped Lars in the leg as I was walking by and said, "Whats up Lars?". He turned around and looked at me like, "I think I know that guy". :laugh:

Reactions: Captain And Coke

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Like I said, Flo-Rida at least has the record sales to show for it. He’s slightly ahead of Van Halen and RHCP all time. And Sting/Police for that matter.
He's ahead of the Police, but not The Police and Sting's solo career together. The Wikipedia all time list doesn't show Sting's solo stuff but Sting's solo page says combined with the Police he's sold over 100 million albums. Flo-Rida is currently at 80 million.

I'm not saying this to be a pedantic, I just gotta stand up for my boy Sting! I can't believe the record sales some of these modern acts have compared to legends that have been around for decades. It kills me that Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran have outsold David Bowie and Stevie Wonder.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
1. Sting and Shaggy should not be compared to Imagine Dragons, but Lil Jon, which is who the NHL put in Vegas for Game 1.
2. It is very tough to find a popular act that isn't scheduled for something on the first Saturday in June.
3. Sting is awesome and terrible at the same time. Kinda the same for Shaggy.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I love this stuff... Washington's first trip to the finals and they're in a pre-game pissing match with a city whose main pull is tacky gimmicks... countering an expansion team's pre-game performer with Sting, Shaggy, and Pat Sajak... lmao.

I'm not sure what's more comical between this, or Nashville parading out a different country-pop singer for the anthem and drinking beer out of a catfish.

Of the last 4 first-time Cup contenders San Jose is the only one who acted like they'd been there before.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Not sure why everybody’s hating on the Caps here. Leonsis states rather bluntly in an interview that he’s not trying to get caught up in the pregame antics and make sure the games are started on time.

They found an act on short notice to do an outdoor pregame show for fans and got the puck dropped promptly after lineups and the anthem. WTF is the problem?

Vertain

Mar 28, 2013
Vermont
Sting and Shaggy? You got me - I thought this thread was going to be about a couple of strippers I once saw.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sting is probably the biggest name musician to associate with the NHL in recent memory.
Never should've broken up The Police. What an absolutely terrific band.

He's ahead of the Police, but not The Police and Sting's solo career together. The Wikipedia all time list doesn't show Sting's solo stuff but Sting's solo page says combined with the Police he's sold over 100 million albums. Flo-Rida is currently at 80 million.

I'm not saying this to be a pedantic, I just gotta stand up for my boy Sting! I can't believe the record sales some of these modern acts have compared to legends that have been around for decades. It kills me that Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran have outsold David Bowie and Stevie Wonder.
Sting has actually outsold the Police. I'm not sure why he's not listed there but he's ahead of The Police. Mostly by virtue of the Police only having 5 albums of original material to draw from. 75 million from 5 albums + live and greatest hits stuff aint too shabby. And they were big enough to knock Michael Jackson's Thriller on it's ass for the better part of four months. They were absolutely enormous when they broke up. A f***ing shame they didn't make more albums.

Sting went on to do some cool stuff but most of it is forgettable which is criminal given his talents. What a waste. Fun fact - pound for pound Every Breath You Take is probably the most played song of all time. It's somewhere in the top ten despite being released only in 1983. And no, that doesn't count the Puff Daddy remake which was also number one for a million weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amorgus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Never should've broken up The Police. What an absolutely terrific band.

Sting has actually outsold the Police. I'm not sure why he's not listed there but he's ahead of The Police. Mostly by virtue of the Police only having 5 albums of original material to draw from. 75 million from 5 albums + live and greatest hits stuff aint too shabby. And they were big enough to knock Michael Jackson's Thriller on it's ass for the better part of four months. They were absolutely enormous when they broke up. A ****ing shame they didn't make more albums.

Sting went on to do some cool stuff but most of it is forgettable which is criminal given his talents. What a waste. Fun fact - pound for pound Every Breath You Take is probably the most played song of all time. It's somewhere in the top ten despite being released only in 1983. And no, that doesn't count the Puff Daddy remake which was also number one for a million weeks.

He again did most of his best solo stuff early on but there's a LOT of great singles that have stood the test of time. I just wish he'd step out of his comfort zone more like Peter Gabriel. I haven't checked it out but maybe this union with Shaggy will do him good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad