Sting and Shaggy

CalEh

Oct 28, 2017
Manhattan Beach, California
...Name a more iconic duo?

I'll wait...

In all seriousness. What is this? Imagine Dragons weren't great but Vegas is known for being tacky. It works there. This is just absurd.

This isn't a slight on Washington or the Caps, as I love their fans. It's more a slight on the game ops or whoever makes these decisions.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

I'll wait...

In all seriousness. What is this? Imagine Dragons weren't great but Vegas is known for being tacky. It works there. This is just absurd.

This isn't a slight on Washington or the Caps, as I love their fans. It's more a slight on the game ops or whoever makes these decisions.[/QUOTE]

the nhl did this

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stingtna.jpg
ShaggyRogers.png

Seems off.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Terrible. What is Washington doing? Sting and Shaggy to perform in front of roughly 1/8 of the white people in DC. Leave putting on the hype to Vegas. They then hand it off to Pat Sajak to f*** around for another 10 minutes?

Reads more like a shot at Vegas from a long suffering franchise who's hosting their first Stanley Cup Final game in 20 years. Not having won one ever. Because as much as I enjoyed the corny show Vegas put on they do drag it out a bit. If that's what it was then at least I can respect it.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I'll wait...

This isn't a slight on Washington or the Caps, as I love their fans. It's more a slight on the game ops or whoever makes these decisions.

we need a better explanation to what the OP is getting at

for example

here in the UK we are unable to watch games live right now

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Terrible. What is Washington doing? Sting and Shaggy to perform in front of roughly 1/8 of the white people in DC. Leave putting on the hype to Vegas. They then hand it off to Pat Sajak to **** around for another 10 minutes?

Reads more like a shot at Vegas from a long suffering franchise who's hosting their first Stanley Cup Final game in 20 years. Not having won one ever. Because as much as I enjoyed the corny show Vegas put on they do drag it out a bit. If that's what it was then at least I can respect it.

you do realize this is all the nhl's call right?
they are the ones who scheduled sting and shaggy and told caps to choose a celebrity for the intro.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Keep in mind that both Imagine Dragons and Sting/Shaggy are touring. They're not picking these artists out of a hat; they're promoting their new material and/or the upcoming concerts. Their bands, sound techs, lighting, etc., are in "tour mode" now, so they're good to go.

Imagine Dragons makes 100% sense, IMO. They're from Vegas. They're on the radio and car commercials. They have a new album out this past year. They're a fairly middle-of-the-road, inoffensive band. Yeah, they're sort of a mayonnaise sandwich, but not everyone is going to like the latest EDM artist.

Sting's more for the older set - i.e. pre-millenial. I'm a proud child of the 80s, so I'll confess my bias. But just scanning the Wikipedia discographies, The Police have 8 singles that are fairly well-known - I mean, "Roxanne", "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic", and "Every Breath You Take" are part of the musical zeitgeist of people my age. With Sting a solo artist, there's also a few singles - "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free" and "Fields of Gold".

I honestly don't know any Shaggy songs other than his two hits in the early aughts - "It Wasn't Me" and "Angel". But he clearly comes with the Sting package.

No, they're not all my cup of tea, either, but I don't think the entertainment planning has been a tire fire. You can argue about whether you personally like them or not, or about the execution - frankly, I didn't pay that much attention to any of the performances. But these aren't "total gong show" artists. It's not like they dredged up Dishwalla. From a Boston point of view, both Imagine Dragons and Sting/Shaggy have been playing in some decent sized venues here lately - ID played TD Garden in 2015 and 2017, and Sting appeared with Paul Simon at the Garden, as well as doing a sold out solo show at the House of Blues last summer, and will be with Shaggy this summer.

Reactions: Chimaera

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sting and/or Shaggy , together or individual are 1000x better than that Imagine Dragons garbage so idk what you're complaining about.

Better then NIckelback, Cee Lo Green, and all the other shit the NHL has trotted out the past few years too.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The NHL mistakenly thinks faded and low-tier "celebrities" boost its legitimacy. Sell your product on the speed, skill, and physicality of the sport, not these silly side-shows.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4