Post-Game Talk: Still winless and even more royally pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think they go hand in hand. I feel like Hynes takes the philosophy of "the less you play in your own zone, the better chance you have to win" to literally. It's the NHL, you will get stuck in your own zone at times, and if you don't know how to limit chances and actually defend, well you're pretty much ****ed.
Ya, I typed "don't" by mistake. put an edit in my original post.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Even funnier that some people we're debating in the offseason that Severson is just as good or even better then Vats.

But he was great in a 2 week tournament that nobody cares about.

The simple fact that he was a top pairing dman, for team Canada no less, just goes to show you how unimportant that tournament really is or else we’d have 52689 better options to choose from.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Even funnier that some people we're debating in the offseason that Severson is just as good or even better then Vats.
He was most certainly better than Vatanen last year and probably will be better than him over the next 5 years (which is why he definitely shouldn’t be signed). Vatanen is a totally mediocre player.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yes, let’s sign 29 year old injury prone ass Sami Vatanen to a 6 million dollar deal with term. **** that **** to quote Ray Shero.
If Vatanen plays a full season and shows he can be durable then its not a laughable discussion to extend him since our D is a joke, if not then he will get a good return at the deadline.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If Vatanen plays a full season and shows he can be durable then its not a laughable discussion to extend him since our D is a joke, if not then he will get a good return at the deadline.
In my mind, the only way you consider signing him is if he takes a deal like one that Gardiner signed.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So you think Vatanen should make less then Severson? LMAO
Well he is worse, but that’s not even the point. It doesn’t matter what he is at this moment, it’s what you think you’re going to get for the duration of the contract. And I’d wager, not much value whatsoever.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Well he is worse, but that’s not even the point. It doesn’t matter what he is at this moment, it’s what you think you’re going to get for the duration of the contract. And I’d wager, not much value whatsoever.

Vats isn't worst. Vats can actually play a solid game against top competition, without getting his head caved in, unlike your sweetheart Sevo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Vats isn't worst. Vats can actually play a solid game against top competition, without getting his head caved in, unlike your sweetheart Sevo
Except Severson played some of the toughest minutes in the NHL with Andy Greene last season and did quite well. 6 games this year doesn’t undo that. You must think Subban has the worst contract in the NHL if you give so much value to 6 games.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Except Severson played some of the toughest minutes in the NHL with Andy Greene last season and did quite well. 6 games this year doesn’t undo that. You must think Subban has the worst contract in the NHL if you give so much value to 6 games.

While being once again last in terms of GA/60????

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I think they go hand in hand. I feel like Hynes takes the philosophy of "the less you play in your own zone, the better chance you have to win" to literally. It's the NHL, you will get stuck in your own zone at times, and if you don't know how to limit chances and actually defend, well you're pretty much ****ed.

Could have fooled me, considering the team's horrible possession numbers since he's been on board.

Reactions: Take Notes

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You just have no clue what you’re talking about, man. None. We’ve gone over the flaws of that stat many times. He was much better than Vatanen last season, I’m not having this stupid discussion again.
Vatanen was injured many times last season. His second half of 17-18 can be used as comparison since he was on the first pairing and played really well. He was one of the top 3 players with Hall and Kinkaid that season as to why they made the playoffs. He looks more like that through 6 games this season than how he was last season.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Vatanen was injured many times last season. His second half of 17-18 can be used as comparison since he was on the first pairing and played really well. He was one of the top 3 players with Hall and Kinkaid that season as to why they made the playoffs. He looks more like that through 6 games this season than how he was last season.

Total waste of time, but thank you for doing it

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Sevs and Vats both have different strengths and weaknesses. Both are middle pairing dmen. I have no clue how some of you argue about comparing these two so passionately.

This board: Andy Greene is the worst! Bottom pair dman!
Also this board: I'm gonna use Severson's GA/60 to show he sucks even though he played 75%+ of his ES minutes with Greene last season.

I disagree with both of those takes; point is it's hypocritical.

How many times do I need to tell some of you the following: Throughout his ENTIRE coaching career (including pre NHL), Hynes rides his top pair and matches up against opponent top lines as if he has a Hall of Fame pairing. Whoever is in that top pairing role is going to get toasted on a bad team. This isn't hard.

And before someone tries to tell me Vatanen gets played as if he is on a top pair too, 75% of his ES minutes last season were played with Mueller, Butcher, and Santini. All of which were often sheltered from top lines.

Reactions: Triumph

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He’s fine. I don’t hate Vatanen. He’s just not a player I want on a long term deal considering his age, durability, and size. I don’t see him aging all that well considering he’s not even that good of a skater already. If for some reason the market is weird and we can get him on a shorter term deal, I’ll take him.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sevs and Vats both have different strengths and weaknesses. Both are middle pairing dmen. I have no clue how some of you argue about comparing these two so passionately.

This board: Andy Greene is the worst! Bottom pair dman!
Also this board: I'm gonna use Severson's GA/60 to show he sucks even though he played 75%+ of his ES minutes with Greene last season.

I disagree with both of those takes; point is it's hypocritical.

How many times do I need to tell some of you the following: Throughout his ENTIRE coaching career (including pre NHL), Hynes rides his top pair and matches up against opponent top lines as if he has a Hall of Fame pairing. Whoever is in that top pairing role is going to get toasted on a bad team. This isn't hard.

And before someone tries to tell me Vatanen gets played as if he is on a top pair too, 75% of his ES minutes last season were played with Mueller, Butcher, and Santini. All of which were often sheltered from top lines.
Vat's played 41 % of his minutes against elite comp. Sev's 43%

Don't see that as a significant difference.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It's too bad Andy Greene isn't like 5 years younger. He'd really be a perfect pairing for Subban if we knew he could play 20minutes a game.

Then Butcher/Vats Mueller/Severson doesn't look so terrible -

But Mueller has proven he can't play with Severson.

It's unfair to put Seves on his offside when he can't keep the puck out of the net when on his regular side.

Both Vats and Severson are high-risk, high-reward guys - and we simply don't have the guys on the left side who can erase their mistakes.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Yep, And we all saw how well that worked when he made the decision to move Bratt down and Hayden up the lineup to protect the lead in game 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad