Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But they don’t advertise the lie online...
Yeah they don't, I know with True you can view their curve chart and it corresponds to their correct lie by their measurements. For example, an MC from True is always a Lie 5, they don't make them in any other Lie for retail.

It's the other manufacturers that I find skeptical in terms of their Lie measurements. For example, I own a bunch of P-38s from retail, CCM's chart says it's a Lie 6 but when I compare it to my MC (Lie 5) and Lie 6 Ultratacks it's definitely not a Lie 6 and to me it's unquestionably a 5 when compared to the True MC.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah they don't, I know with True you can view their curve chart and it corresponds to their correct lie by their measurements. For example, an MC from True is always a Lie 5, they don't make them in any other Lie for retail.

It's the other manufacturers that I find skeptical in terms of their Lie measurements. For example, I own a bunch of P-38s from retail, CCM's chart says it's a Lie 6 but when I compare it to my MC (Lie 5) and Lie 6 Ultratacks it's definitely not a Lie 6 and to me it's unquestionably a 5 when compared to the True MC.

Thank you.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Question about stick extensions. I know you can get them (6 inches) for "Junior" sized sticks. Does anyone know if you can also get them for "Youth" size? The junior extensions are too wide for youth sticks unfortunately. I'd rather not have to buy my boy two new sticks and he's still too small to get into the youth stick market. Any advice or information would be appreciated!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I don't think they make youth butt ends, but you can try looking at the Warrior junior composite butt ends. They have the smallest dimensions that I know of. Depending on the stick, they might work.

As for other options, you can take a wooden junior one and simply file it down to fit. If you have access to some good tools it won't take long at all. My brother makes butt ends from scratch at work using a shop sander there. Only takes a few minutes. But if you don't have the tools, it can take a bit of time to even sand down a ready-made butt end. I've filed down a butt end with nothing but a cheap rasp, and it took me a couple of hours. If I had a decent rasp and a proper clamp, it would probably be a lot quicker, but I can't justify spending the money to fill a once in a blue moon need.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
While we’re talking about extensions... can the composite ones be cut down? I typically use a 63” stick. I just bought a qrl pro (63”) and an AK27 SL (60”) just because I really wanted to try it out. Normally I just cut down a wood one to get the extra 3”,but I try to keep my sticks as light as possible so not sure if it would be worth it to try out a composite and cut it down. I would imagine they are meant to be cut since they seem to only have a 6” option?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
While we’re talking about extensions... can the composite ones be cut down? I typically use a 63” stick. I just bought a qrl pro (63”) and an AK27 SL (60”) just because I really wanted to try it out. Normally I just cut down a wood one to get the extra 3”,but I try to keep my sticks as light as possible so not sure if it would be worth it to try out a composite and cut it down. I would imagine they are meant to be cut since they seem to only have a 6” option?

You can cut a composite extension just like you can cut a composit stick. I have a bunch of composit extensions of various sizes that I use when I'm experimenting with length.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Anyone know where to find TPS sticks? I own two of them though I think they went out of business. Trying to pick another one up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone know where to find TPS sticks? I own two of them though I think they went out of business. Trying to pick another one up.

Ebay or Sideline Swap.

Your odds of finding a TPS stick somewhere in a retail store at this point in time are extremely low. They don't make sticks anymore, and haven't for I believe close to a decade now.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Ebay or Sideline Swap.

Your odds of finding a TPS stick somewhere in a retail store at this point in time are extremely low. They don't make sticks anymore, and haven't for I believe close to a decade now.
Bummer. TPS Responses were beauties.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I can't speak to how they played, but perhaps someone here can suggest an alternative that plays similar.
TPS was folded into the Sherwood family, but I don't think any of the tech or whatever carried forward, so as far as I know, nothing truly succeeded it. I don't think Sherwood's current offerings are a good approximation as stick tech has advanced a lot since TPS was big.

I dunno, maybe consider a True A-series model like the 5.2 or 4.5? I had an R6 a long time ago and I like the A6.0 that I have.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
TPS was folded into the Sherwood family, but I don't think any of the tech or whatever carried forward, so as far as I know, nothing truly succeeded it. I don't think Sherwood's current offerings are a good approximation as stick tech has advanced a lot since TPS was big.

I dunno, maybe consider a True A-series model like the 5.2 or 4.5? I had an R6 a long time ago and I like the A6.0 that I have.

I picked up a current gen True A-series 6.0 a couple weeks ago. Took a couple games to get used to it coming from my Ultra Tacks but once I did I've been very pleased. The stick just does everything well. I've played with more than a few guys who use the 4.5s and I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about them. Whether its the 4.5, 5.2, or 6.0, all solid choices IMO.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I picked up a current gen True A-series 6.0 a couple weeks ago. Took a couple games to get used to it coming from my Ultra Tacks but once I did I've been very pleased. The stick just does everything well. I've played with more than a few guys who use the 4.5s and I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about them. Whether its the 4.5, 5.2, or 6.0, all solid choices IMO.
Yup, the A-series is literally the best jack-of-all-trades stick family out there in my opinion.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yup, the A-series is literally the best jack-of-all-trades stick family out there in my opinion.

Sure seems to be.

If I had one complaint about True it's their blades. And I use the term complaint loosely as it's still a good blade. They got the shaft construction down pat, excellent stuff.

But my previous sticks up to now include a Ultra Tacks, a Trigger ASY, and a RBZ Stage 2. All distinctly different blade types. And I liked all 3 blades better than I do the BRT + blade on my True A-series. if I was in charge of True R&D, blade development is where I would focus on. If they could get their blades on par with the bigger manufacturers, they'd take their sticks to the next level IMO.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012

Is the true mc lie 5 comparable to the Easton 5.5 lie?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Ebay or Sideline Swap.

TPS sticks were so durable for me. Currently use a Warrior now, but I couldn't find anything close as that.

I always knew through google years ago that TPS and their 'technology' went into sherwoods RM stick line (at the time). But many, many years have no passed and I think they've moved on from it. I don't even remember why they merged, I think TPS was bankrupt?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
TPS sticks were so durable for me. Currently use a Warrior now, but I couldn't find anything close as that.

I always knew through google years ago that TPS and their 'technology' went into sherwoods RM stick line (at the time). But many, many years have no passed and I think they've moved on from it. I don't even remember why they merged, I think TPS was bankrupt?
Yeah something like that. Who knows, it may end up being revived as a low end 'house brand' for a retailer, like Hespeler, Koho, or Titan. But obviously it will have none of the old tech.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
How does say, a 75 flex vary between brand? Are they pretty consistent or are certain brands that feel whippier/stiffer despite the same flex rating?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
How does say, a 75 flex vary between brand? Are they pretty consistent or are certain brands that feel whippier/stiffer despite the same flex rating?

For me, the whippiest feeling is Warrior and the stiffest feeling is CCM. Bauer, True, and Sherwood, are very similar to me, especially Bauer and True but they would all fit right in the middle between Warrior and CCM.

But that's my experience. Others have told me they think Warrior feels stiff. Sooo *shrug*

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I’ve seen Bauer offers a 70 flex Senior stick. Any other manufacturers offering something like that? I’m trying to get as close to 75 flex as possible after I cut the stick a few inches.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Like puckpilot said, it's not consistent unfortunately. You must also consider kickpoint, such that, for example, if you push down on equivalent tiered 75 flex Bauer Vapor (which has a low kick), a 75 flex Bauer Nexus (mid kick), and a 75 flex Bauer Supreme (mid-high kick), they will all feel different based on where the stick flexes. A low kick may feel stiffer than a mid because the stick loads below your bottom hand, whereas the mid kick loads at/around your bottom hand.

In terms of brands, companies have been playing around with their kickpoints pretty regularly for years such that it's tough to really say if a particular brand is 'stiffer' than another. Plus each brand usually has 2-3 families of sticks based around different kickpoints anyways, which brings it back to my original point above.

I’ve seen Bauer offers a 70 flex Senior stick. Any other manufacturers offering something like that? I’m trying to get as close to 75 flex as possible after I cut the stick a few inches.

Yes, the Bauer SR 70 flex will be new for next season in their 2019 catalog, and only for the top-end models I believe.

This is only Bauer though.

Please provide more info on what sticks/lengths/kickpoints/amount cut etc. you've tried so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad