Proposal: STH Meeting || Propose Questions Here (additional jersey info in post #494)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I agree. IMO it's pretty much impossible to top having Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, and Won't Get Fooled Again on the same studio album, to speak nothing of the brilliance of other songs on the record, such as Bargain and My Wife.

Yep. "The Song Is Over" kind of gets lost in there, but it's another masterpiece. It's a perfect album with three of the greatest rock musicians - two of whom have a very strong case to be called the best ever on their instruments, and another without question one of the greatest songwriters - plus Roger Daltrey lol.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
A lady asked about the PK being so bad not just this year but the last few years too. Outside of GKJ’s questions that was one of the few legit questions asked when I was listening.

There was about at least three shootout questions that basically were all the same ****.

I'm hoping at the very least it might start the spark that causes management to go "Oh something might actually be wrong here, I wonder what it could be"

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'm hoping at the very least it might start the spark that causes management to go "Oh something might actually be wrong here, I wonder what it could be"
If the organization has to wait until fans point out that the PK sucks, then the entire management group should be fired

Reactions: BernieParent

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yep. "The Song Is Over" kind of gets lost in there, but it's another masterpiece. It's a perfect album with three of the greatest rock musicians - two of whom have a very strong case to be called the best ever on their instruments, and another without question one of the greatest songwriters - plus Roger Daltrey lol.

I think Townshend is the best rock songwriter of all-time, and the amount of great demos/unreleased recordings he has really hammers it home (IMO). It's astonishing. (I place Warren Zevon 2nd and Ray Davies way up there.)

As a guitarist, Townshend wasn't perhaps the most technically proficient on lead, but I'll always prefer interesting to technical precision, which is also why I love Moon. Both were fantastic at rhythm and melodies. And Entwistle is one of the most underappreciated rock musicians in history: Phenomenal musicianship, excellent backing vocals. Could play the french horn. Had some really underrated solo work, too, such as "My Size," "Pick Me Up, Big Chicken," "What're We Doing Here," and "I Believe In Everything."

And, yes, then there's Roger Daltrey, haha. I actually gained a better appreciation for Daltrey watching some of his interviews on YouTube. He's pretty intelligent with a good sense of humor.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think Townshend is the best rock songwriter of all-time, and the amount of great demos/unreleased recordings he has really hammers it home (IMO). It's astonishing. (I place Warren Zevon 2nd and Ray Davies way up there.)

As a guitarist, Townshend wasn't perhaps the most technically proficient on lead, but I'll always prefer interesting to technical precision, which is also why I love Moon. Both were fantastic at rhythm and melodies. And Entwistle is one of the most underappreciated rock musicians in history: Phenomenal musicianship, excellent backing vocals. Could play the french horn. Had some really underrated solo work, too, such as "My Size," "Pick Me Up, Big Chicken," "What're We Doing Here," and "I Believe In Everything."

And, yes, then there's Roger Daltrey, haha. I actually gained a better appreciation for Daltrey watching some of his interviews on YouTube. He's pretty intelligent with a good sense of humor.

He's a great guy, no doubt - just a bit of a screamer haha. And I totally agree with the rest of that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's a great guy, no doubt - just a bit of a screamer haha. And I totally agree with the rest of that.
Daltrey is certainly not the best rock vocalist, though far from the worst. I personally have a penchant for many of the songs Townshend sings himself (e.g., I Can't Reach You, ) -- he hits an introspective element that Daltrey's vocals often fail to convey -- but Daltrey's more powerful voice is useful on a number of the band's more aggressive material. I like when they have Townshend sing the bridge. Makes for a great contrast.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Daltrey is certainly not the best rock vocalist, though far from the worst. I personally have a penchant for many of the songs Townshend sings himself (e.g., I Can't Reach You, ) -- he hits an introspective element that Daltrey's vocals often fail to convey -- but Daltrey's more powerful voice is useful on a number of the band's more aggressive material. I like when they have Townshend sing the bridge. Makes for a great contrast.

Townshend has an AWESOME voice. It's great in "The Song Is Over" and "Behind Blue Eyes," but the stanzas (is that the word I'm looking for? the parts between the chorus) in this are my favorite:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I absolutely love "Slit Skirts." Perfect example of the introspective, vulnerable emotion his voice conveys that Daltrey's doesn't.

Townshend also had a terrific sense of humor in his early writing. He used an unbelievable melody on Odorono, which was a 2:30 mock deodorant advertisement; Little Billy was a 2 minute jingle written for the American Cancer Society about a fat kid who refuses to smoke with his classmates; and Dogs was a ditty about a couple whose hobby is gambling at the dog track each weekend (and includes the soaring chorus, "there was nothing in my life bigger than beer").

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
All that I have read here about the STH meeting shows the immense spectrum of fan perspective. The premise is pretty doomed from the start to get any real insight into current roster decisions and future plans, given Hextall's sphinx-like persona. He certainly isn't going to lay out his thoughts on players or coaches for the public at large.

I'm glad the Finnish scouting was brought up since there's more of a chance to get some actual information on what the club is doing. Yeah, the shootout questions are lob balls, but did anyone simply ask whether the players even practice them? Was there any allusion to advanced metrics in any of the questions?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
didnt see the mid warning/suggestion when i posted the music ideas.
my bad.
I don't see why a thread can't take a natural progression into another topic. It all happened very organically among Flyers fans. BTW, I think Free Fallin' is overrated but love Mary Jane's Last Dance.
I also wonder which poster brought up the Finnish scouting question.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
All that I have read here about the STH meeting shows the immense spectrum of fan perspective. The premise is pretty doomed from the start to get any real insight into current roster decisions and future plans, given Hextall's sphinx-like persona. He certainly isn't going to lay out his thoughts on players or coaches for the public at large.

I'm glad the Finnish scouting was brought up since there's more of a chance to get some actual information on what the club is doing. Yeah, the shootout questions are lob balls, but did anyone simply ask whether the players even practice them? Was there any allusion to advanced metrics in any of the questions?

I think someone gave advanced stats in a question, and Hakstol acknowledged that those stats were all correct but I didn't hear the stats. And no one asked whether they practiced, it was about the order and stuff

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I would've been curious to ask Hakstol and Hextall which advanced stats they value most, if any. (I'm sure they'd dodge it with a "we look at everything, but you have to be careful not to place too much importance in one stat" kind of way, which I actually agree with.)
I also would have been curious to ask if they have learned anything from that microchip they put in players' skates that tracks their movement.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
didnt see the mid warning/suggestion when i posted the music ideas.
my bad.

You are like an Amtrak conductor with all of the derailments in here that are totally all your fault. You would think someone named "Even Steven" would be able to stay on track.

:naughty:

Oh yeah, hockey. Yada yada yada, something Dakotas, Fire Hakstok.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tommy-Who's Next-Quadrophenia is a strong contender.

Did anyone try reading Corsi stats at STH meeting again?

Quadrophenia would be my favorite of the three.
Though Neil Young is the greatest rock and roll songwriter, he's turned out a lot of crap, but once a decade at least one masterpieces (from the 60s to 90s, then he got too eclectic).

I'm sure Ron looks at everything, he's invested in analytics, additional scouts, video, and taken the organization out of the "we've always done it this way" stone age. The man has a plan.

TRUST THE PROCESS.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would've been curious to ask Hakstol and Hextall which advanced stats they value most, if any. (I'm sure they'd dodge it with a "we look at everything, but you have to be careful not to place too much importance in one stat" kind of way, which I actually agree with.)
I also would have been curious to ask if they have learned anything from that microchip they put in players' skates that tracks their movement.

There are companies that compile stats that are not available to the public and provide them to teams for $$$. I think I remember Hextall saying that they use some of that stuff. For example there is a company that tracks offensive zone time. That's not necessarily the same as possession since it probably includes chasing pucks and so on. I think they also track (or attempt to track) stick on puck time. What the Flyers use is anyone's guess but I think it's safe to say they have access to everything the great unwashed (that's us) does, and then some.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm sure Neil Young owes most of that output to his time spent beefing up and gaining man strength. You see a guy like David Crosby (terrible name) who added too much man strength to his core and saw it turn to lard, and Graham what'shisface, the other damned hippie, and Stephen Stills who was probably strong enough in the corners to not get run over, even though he was also a damned hippie.

TRUNCATE THE EXCESS

Reactions: GoneFullHextall

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Quadrophenia would be my favorite of the three.
Though Neil Young is the greatest rock and roll songwriter, he's turned out a lot of crap, but once a decade at least one masterpieces (from the 60s to 90s, then he got too eclectic).

I'm sure Ron looks at everything, he's invested in analytics, additional scouts, video, and taken the organization out of the "we've always done it this way" stone age. The man has a plan.

TRUST THE PROCESS.

I like Neil Young, and I've read your posts about him. I can't buy into him being better than Townshend, or Zevon, or Davies as a songwriter, but I do agree he is very good. Townshend, aside from his stockpile of demos and unissued tracks that would blow almost all musicians out of the water, also released some very good stuff post 1990. Real Good Looking Boy (aside from the sketchy title) released in 2004 is utterly fantastic. I'm also fond of (God Speaks Of) Marty Robbins. But to each his own. I prefer Tommy to Quadrophenia but they are both great. There's less bluster in Tommy, and it isn't as overproduced.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There are companies that compile stats that are not available to the public and provide them to teams for $$$. I think I remember Hextall saying that they use some of that stuff. For example there is a company that tracks offensive zone time. That's not necessarily the same as possession since it probably includes chasing pucks and so on. I think they also track (or attempt to track) stick on puck time. What the Flyers use is anyone's guess but I think it's safe to say they have access to everything the great unwashed (that's us) does, and then some.
Yes, Hextall has said they use various forms of advanced player tracking / stats. There's no question they have access to more data than we plebeians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad