Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 9: 500 Goals & 1,100 Points and counting Edition

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Question: “Jon, there’s going to be a lot of conversation about the future of Steven Stamkos. What can you say about your captain and if you can imagine him not wearing a Lightning?”

Cooper: “I don’t know if there will be much conversation. I hope not anyway. He belongs here. We know it. He knows it. But, again, this is two seconds after a game. But he and I have grown up together. He’s a heck of a player. But he’s also, I suppose, in control of his own destiny. I don’t know what’s going to happen. He feels like a Bolt for life, but only he and Julien can answer that one.”

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
There are two guys that should be lifers in this organization and that's Hedman and Stamkos. Vinny's play fell off and that albatross contract made that a no brainer. MSL wanting out or the tension with him and SY wrote the ending there. As for 91 and 77, I don't know how you move on from either.

I will be royally pissed if Brisebois does some low ass offer like here's "X" amount, take it or leave it, and we roll into next year with dead weight but minus 91. I will absolutely be on the fire JBB bandwagon if he keeps plugs like Jeannot and Sheary around but stiffs 91. Stammer is only going to decline, but 40 goals at 34 and a left threat on the PP is like be careful what you wish for thinking "muh depth" or "muh this is a business."

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
There are two guys that should be lifers in this organization and that's Hedman and Stamkos. Vinny's play fell off and that albatross contract made that a no brainer. MSL wanting out or the tension with him and SY wrote the ending there. As for 91 and 77, I don't know how you move on from either.

I will be royally pissed if Brisebois does some low ass offer like here's "X" amount, take it or leave it, and we roll into next year with dead weight but minus 91. I will absolutely be on the fire JBB bandwagon if he keeps plugs like Jeannot and Sheary around but stiffs 91. Stammer is only going to decline, but 40 goals at 34 and a left threat on the PP is like be careful what you wish for thinking "muh depth" or "muh this is a business."
Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov are the three lifers. Kucherov really could teach the young kid some offensive tricks in the future.
If he dont have Stamkos on the team, but keep Sheary and Jeannot I not supporting the lightning with my dollars anymore.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov are the three lifers. Kucherov really could teach the young kid some offensive tricks in the future.
If he dont have Stamkos on the team, but keep Sheary and Jeannot I not supporting the lightning with my dollars anymore.
I don't know, I feel Kucherov is the guy that could potentially want out in the future. He doesn't feel like the kind of a guy who'd be happy to stay around, playing meaningless hockey in the middle of our rebuild. I think he will be chasing more Cups in the later years of his career. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
What Jovel said. I can see Kuch leaving or requesting a trade in the future if we were ad for a couple years.
I don't know, I feel Kucherov is the guy that could potentially want out in the future. He doesn't feel like the kind of a guy who'd be happy to stay around, playing meaningless hockey in the middle of our rebuild. I think he will be chasing more Cups in the later years of his career. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I can’t imagine how bad this team will be without him if they let him go. Unless they use every penny on building a top 7 defensive core

Already a middling 5v5 team that is reliant on the powerplay. How bad would this powerplay be without him?
A good powerplay coach could tweak some things with Hagel on PP1 and probably make it a 17-20% PP, but that's still an 8-10% drop which would definitely mean no playoffs (unless 5v5 somehow magically improves by a ton)

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I mean he can play one timer option. Hagel will play the bumper position.
There's a gulf of difference between technique, timing, and shot power between where 21 stands and 91 stands on the PP. Point has given 0 indications he can nail one timers. He's got a snapshot release but he never hammers a one timer. I legit cannot recall one in his career. He is prone to catching the puck before shooting. That's a sign that a player is not apt at hitting a one timer. Stamkos might miss more nowadays than when he was young, but he still connects. There's no right handed shot on the team capable of just saying oh hey I'm an NHLer I'll play that part.

If you move Point, there's no replacement for him either. Theres no right handed shot. Who goes there, Glendening? Lol. All those things matter. We wouldn't dare put a lefty because it would render Kucherov useless on the right side.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
There's a gulf of difference between technique, timing, and shot power between where 21 stands and 91 stands on the PP. Point has given 0 indications he can nail one timers. He's got a snapshot release but he never hammers a one timer. I legit cannot recall one in his career. He is prone to catching the puck before shooting. That's a sign that a player is not apt at hitting a one timer. Stamkos might miss more nowadays than when he was young, but he still connects. There's no right handed shot on the team capable of just saying oh hey I'm an NHLer I'll play that part.

If you move Point, there's no replacement for him either. Theres no right handed shot. Who goes there, Glendening? Lol. All those things matter. We wouldn't dare put a lefty because it would render Kucherov useless on the right side.
Correct.

The answer is: we shouldn't f*** with it.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I was chearing and watching Lightning from 2017 or 2018,I never saw Stammer played as good as passioned at play offs like this series, he deserves to stay, true captain, give him 7 or 8,5 mil we cant let him go

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
JFBB has already reached out to Stamkos' agent and used the words "very hopeful"

Yeah. I think we're good. We just need to let next year play out and then get as much Syracuse talent as possible up here some time in 2025.

We can probably "sort of" reload but it won't be like we did in 2017

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

+1

This is getting done. JFBB will probably wait several more weeks for what the actual cap number is going to be and submit the retirement contract from there. If I had to guess, he will do a little better than what Malkin got in Pittsburgh and it'll be like 4 years and a $7 million AAV -both a slight discount for the Lightning but also not terrible for Stamkos

Yeah, his number will start with a 7. I'm good with that. Just get it done. We've had to pay the piper for these Cups these last 2 years but there is at least a shred of promise waiting for us in Syracuse and in Michigan State

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

I think Stammer understands it takes discounts to make a better team...but doesn't say he's necessarily wanting to take one this time :laugh:

That quote says he knows he's gotta take one to stick around though.

The JBB quote was good to see though, he knows the importance of Stammer and sees the production, didn't mention anything of needing discount so this should hopefully result in there not being any dumb low-ball offers that sour/anger Stammer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad