Steven Stamkos and his monster season

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I find it funny how many people wrote off Stammer last offseason, and now he leads the NHL in points. He got very underrated due to the injuries, hopefully people don't continue to do so.

He has actually been almost as good as Kucherov, and that's saying something, because Kuch has been unreal this season.

What are your opinions on Stamkos, his injury history, and how well he is doing this season? Could he hold on for the Art Ross?

Reactions: Sk8M8

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm not sure people were writing off Stamkos, but assumed that his injury history made him playing a full season questionable. Considering he did almost the exact same thing last season (torched the league early) and then missed most of the season due to injury, I sure do hope you aren't jinxing it here.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm not sure people were writing off Stamkos, but assumed that his injury history made him playing a full season questionable. Considering he did almost the exact same thing last season (torched the league early) and then missed most of the season due to injury, I sure do hope you aren't jinxing it here.
He is torching it even more than last year.

Also I don't believe in jinx threads or other silly superstitions.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The ridiculous storyline right now is that Kucherov is carrying Stamkos and is the reason for Stamkos's success.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I find it funny how many people wrote off Stammer last offseason, and now he leads the NHL in points. He got very underrated due to the injuries, hopefully people don't continue to do so.

He has actually been almost as good as Kucherov, and that's saying something, because Kuch has been unreal this season.

What are your opinions on Stamkos, his injury history, and how well he is doing this season? Could he hold on for the Art Ross?
The funny thing is that very many Tampa fans wrote him off and said anything over 8 million would be a horrible contract and if he signs for more than that they hope he signs with Toronto etc. Just like many Toronto fans loved him until he signed with Tampa and then the contract was horrible.... Funny how fast things change. I was pretty neutral on this topic, Stammer is one of my favorite players and i wanted him to sign for NYR but at the same time i was a little scared with his injury history and the amount of bad contracts we have had over the years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He is torching it even more than last year.

Also I don't believe in jinx threads or other silly superstitions.
Good on you. It's ridiculous how many people believe in such nonsense. Some would even disallow calling for "shut out" before the end of the game, as if that's going to affect anything. Incredible, in this day and age.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The funny thing is that very many Tampa fans wrote him off and said anything over 8 million would be a horrible contract and if he signs for more than that they hope he signs with Toronto etc. Just like many Toronto fans loved him until he signed with Tampa and then the contract was horrible.... Funny how fast things change. I was pretty neutral on this topic, Stammer is one of my favorite players and i wanted him to sign for NYR but at the same time i was a little scared with his injury history and the amount of bad contracts we have had over the years.
Well idk about them but I thought 8,5 was a huge steal.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
The ridiculous storyline right now is that Kucherov is carrying Stamkos and is the reason for Stamkos's success.
I haven't heard of such storyline. He is not "carrying" him, but he is a big reason for Stamkos' totals so far. Kucherov is the one drawing the most opposition players on him and leaving Stamkos with more room.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
He really hadn't seemed to have been the same since he broke his leg, so I'm glad to see him re-emerged. He, along with Ovechkin, has been one of my favorite non-Red Wings.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Risky contract for sure, does it look like a steal now? Of course, at the time his play had drastically declined in the 2 seasons leading to UFA.

Hindsight's 20/20, we're talking about a guy who came off a major leg injury, declined 20 points from his usual, another 10 points off that and looked pedestrian on a lot of nights. I'm not going back on it, it was a huge risk at the time but it doesn't mean there was no reward in it as well, we lost a year of it to another injury and are now reaping the benefits.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I haven't heard of such storyline. He is not "carrying" him, but he is a big reason for Stamkos' totals so far. Kucherov is the one drawing the most opposition players on him and leaving Stamkos with more room.
You are certain of that? I've seen Stamkos doing plenty of the drawing himself.

Example:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
You are certain of that? I've seen Stamkos doing plenty of the drawing himself.

Example:

Yeah, I'm not saying he can't create on his own or wouldn't produce without Kucherov. The fact is that Kucherov is the best winger in the whole league atm; I don't think it's a reach to say he has had a quite big of an impact on Stamkos production so far (taking nothing away from Stamkos).

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Well idk about them but I thought 8,5 was a huge steal.

It is a huge steal. What's ignored in all the Tampa fans wrote him off posts is that quite a few of us were "writing him off" because we were worried he was going to sign for $10 million or more. Whatever ridiculous number it was that Toronto, Rangers, whoever fans were throwing around. Some were even saying max contract. I'm happy as hell he stayed, but boy if it had been for those prices I wouldn't be, because we never would have put a team around him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It is a huge steal. What's ignored in all the Tampa fans wrote him off posts is that quite a few of us were "writing him off" because we were worried he was going to sign for $10 million or more. Whatever ridiculous number it was that Toronto, Rangers, whoever fans were throwing around. Some were even saying max contract. I'm happy as hell he stayed, but boy if it had been for those prices I wouldn't be, because we never would have put a team around him.

Exactly, or if he signed a 11m contract and played in that 65 point passenger form, it'd be a laughing stock, anyone who couldn't see risk in the signing at the time is obtuse. This wasn't like signing a 21 year old to 8 year contract, it was a player who seemed like he peaked, had a major injury and lost his long time linemate.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As a Lightning fan, I wasn’t expecting this kind of production. Actually thought it would take a while before he got his feet back under him again and I still think he’s not 100% back yet. It definitely helps having Kucherov there. They are both tremendous players and they work very well together. That’s not always the case. I think they both elevate each other because it’s a game of pick your poison. Namestnikov is complimenting them well too. Also helps having talented D like Hedman, Stralman, and rookie Sergachev there too. A lot of talent on this team.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Tampa is a monster of a team Stamkos can easily win the Art Ross and Hart if he avoids injury

Last edited:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Would love to see him win the Art ross, would make for an awesome story. Sort of like how Malkin came back from ACL tear and won the art ross the following year.

Hilarous to see these two studs be under Toews in rankings by top media "analysts".

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2