Player Discussion Steven Kampfer

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He has which is probably why I'm so jaded
I don't see this as letting down the Bs.

He needed surgery so he got it.

He wants to play next season so he is going somewhere where he can.

From where we sit he looks to be well liked by his team mates.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
When a professional sports team announces that a player elects to have surgery, it's typically because playing with the injury won't cause further damage. However, that does not necessarily mean that he/she/preferred pronoun will play without significant pain and/or limited ability. We have no clue what Kampfer's injury is. We don't know the severity. We don't know whether there are other considerations that are in play in making the decision to have surgery. It's impossible for anyone without any of this information to comment intelligently on his decision about how to take care of his own body and the future of not only his career but of his life after hockey.

Reactions: BMC

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
When a professional sports team announces that a player elects to have surgery, it's typically because playing with the injury won't cause further damage. However, that does not necessarily mean that he/she/preferred pronoun will play without significant pain and/or limited ability. We have no clue what Kampfer's injury is. We don't know the severity. We don't know whether there are other considerations that are in play in making the decision to have surgery. It's impossible for anyone without any of this information to comment intelligently on his decision about how to take care of his own body and the future of not only his career but of his life after hockey.

Didn't DS mention he elected to have surgery on his hand?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My best guess is that the KHL starts their season in August (I think?) and they told him the contract is his if he's ready to go post surgery to start the season. He chose to cash in for one of the last times of his hockey career. Selfishly, I wish that he waited to see this season out and am disappointed. I'd play him over Zboril, Vaak, and even Tinordi. But I'm sure it was a difficult choice. Being down to Vaak, Zboril and Tinordi is less than ideal.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Yes, as I wrote, typically, surgery election means that further damage cannot be done. That doesn’t quantify pain, ability to play or the quality of play.

Sorry, when you said "we have no clue what Kampfer's injury is", I took that as you were not aware that it was elective hand surgery. Since you did, I stand corrected. It's just the way I interpreted your post is all.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Sorry, when you said "we have no clue what Kampfer's injury is", I took that as you were not aware that it was elective hand surgery. Since you did, I stand corrected. It's just the way I interpreted your post is all.
No worries. Sorry I wasn’t clearer. I was referring to the nature of the injury (e.g. soft tissue, broken hamate, etc.).

Reactions: 8thRoundPick

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
My best guess is that the KHL starts their season in August (I think?) and they told him the contract is his if he's ready to go post surgery to start the season. He chose to cash in for one of the last times of his hockey career. Selfishly, I wish that he waited to see this season out and am disappointed. I'd play him over Zboril, Vaak, and even Tinordi. But I'm sure it was a difficult choice. Being down to Vaak, Zboril and Tinordi is less than ideal.

Good post but I think all 3 of those guys will be fine if inserted.

The entire unit has been great.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

is Zboril healthy? I don’t hate that as a #9

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Only 2 Right shot Ds are currently healthy

would have been nice if this guy didn’t bail on the team when we could desperately use him now given the injury situation

Reactions: Alicat

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
B’s should have given him job security then.

Play through injury with a team not giving you job security or don’t suffer and have a job next season making a milly+

tough call, you guys absolutely wouldn’t do the same thing as him *fart noise*

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I’m gonna stave off beating up on the guy simply because I don’t know the circumstances surrounding his surgery/contract, etc.

It doesn’t look good, I admit. But for now it’s conjecture. Kampfer has earned the benefit of the doubt and he’ll get it from this fan until everything is confirmed.
Agreed, not getting on him too hard as we’re not on the in, but certainly looks fishy from the outside.

If they were aware Kampfer would be opting to get surgery I’m sure they would have tried to pickup some more RD depth.

But even with Kampfer it’s a bit concerning that out of the 13 defenseman on roster only 5 are right shot, with 2 of them missed large portions of the year in Miller and Carlo.

I get they’re relying on guys that can play both but why would they think that’s enough?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad