Steve Yzerman Appreciation Thread

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm amused at the idea of 22 year olds being considered busts. Jesus didn't do anything 'till he was what, 30?

Yzerman has turned around an entire franchise in 4 years to make us a contender for a long time. He did it without tanking too. At this point a monkey could take charge and we'd still be solid contenders for at least a few years.

The Yzerplan is actually becoming fairly clear now too. Capgeek lays it out quite nicely. Next year Ben Bishop gets his raise from Brewer and Prospal coming off the books. Then after a second year of virtually the exact same team, we slightly retool and give Stamkos his money as Gagner comes off our payroll. Each player's term is pretty much ideal right now, we don't have a single bad contract (Carle is the most debatable, but I wouldn't call it bad), and the retained salary for Gagner really isn't bad at all.

Our Yzer,
Who art in Tampa,
Hall of Famed be Thy name;
Thy Stanley Come;
Thy will be done in Tampa as it was in Detroit.
Give us this day our daily transaction;
And forgive us our doubt, as we forgive those who doubt Drouin;
And lead us not into the Draft lottery,
But deliver us from Boston.
Amen.

I am getting this professionally printed and framed and I'm placing one in every room of my house.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No, people from Tampa, unlike other metropolitan areas with major league sports teams, are fickle and prone to hysterics. It isn't possible for an executive to establish a track record and change people's minds.

This couldn't be further from the truth, the reverse is true, if anything we are way too uncaring.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
The Yzerpsalm 23

The Yzerman is my GM; I shall not want.
He maketh me watch Free Agent Frenzy: he leadeth me to NHL Network
He restoreth my team: he leadeth me into the playoffs for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the draft, I will fear no bad picks: for thou art with me; thy Blackberry and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a team before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my team with stars; my Stanley cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Bolts for ever.

Our Yzer,
Who art in Tampa,
Thy Stanley Come;
Amen.

dhMeAzK.gif

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I haven't heard of very many people crying for Yzerman to get fired. Before this season, I think there was a general belief that we needed to start seeing results on the ice, which we did.

Seriously, there are a couple of moves that were unpopular at the time, and some were reactionary, but there was never a large movement on here to fire Yzerman (except from PhysicalGraffiti).

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Bolts 20:10 - "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Yzer, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Offseasons 20:14: In the near-present, Yzer created the offense and the defense. Now the defense was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of Yzer was hovering over the rink.

And Yzer said, “Let there be defense,” and there was defense. Yzer saw that the defense wasn't that good, and he separated the good from the bad via trade and free agency. Yzer called the good defense "Stralman" and the bad (yea, at everything) he called "Purcell." And there was a competitive team.

Read up on your byzbles.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
For Vinik so loved the Lightning, that he gave them the Yzerman, that whosoever believed in the Yzerplan would not get a lottery pick but would have multiple Stanley cups.

sweetberrywine

Jun 3, 2010
Tampa, FL
Our Yzer,
Who art in Tampa,
Thy Stanley Come;
Amen.

I spent an hour trying to figure out my account info just so I could tell you how hilarious this is. Totally worth it

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Somebody said Lightning fans are bi-polar with Yzerman and that's true.

Everyone denies it now, but through the latter part of the 2013 season and into the summer the popular sentiment was that Yzerman should be fired.

And Lightning fans on this board were livid over the Cory Conacher for Ben Bishop trade.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1377275 Offseason 2013 thread.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1447565 Offseason 2013 pt2.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1394061 Conacher for Bishop trade.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1415719 Top Yzerman Miscues.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1404605 Bishop 2yr extension.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1454995 Vinny's buyout.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1641467 Yzerman extended 4yrs.

Now show us on the big bad threads where the livid fans touched you...

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Oh god... that Conacher/Bishop thread. What fools we were! FOOLS!

Still, even in that thread there was no "FIRE YZERMAN!" talk. There was some "ugh, we could have gotten him for cheaper in the offseason" on top of a few cautious statements and missing Conacher - but there was a lot of "I don't really like it, but let's wait and see." Well, we waited, we saw, and I think we're okay with how it turned out.

That was probably the move that made SFY such a legend. It was a ballsy move, trading a young guy having a good season for a goaltender with question marks, but I think we'll all agree it worked out.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
[nhl]627819&catid=-6[/nhl]

stevie on nhl network.

I browsed through a couple of those threads garm and thank you for proving me calling BS was correct. I had faith in you all. Have only been here since like june last year I would believe this time last year. But you all were level headed everyone was always like you know he did a great job on the depth etc.. Is people still hating on the vinny thing. Am sure there were people on bishop conacher.

Now for me I loved the bishop conacher thing myself. I was on facebook but I believed in bishop where had questions from day one on lindback.

In the few times seeing bishop I thought he handled the rush better handled stick better etc.. I really thought lindback panicked at times in goal and didnt like that even before we got him etc.. Break aways he played afraid. When watching bishop I didnt feel same so was happy was sure one would work out. Wasnt sure which but I rode with bishop from day one and got lucky lol.

BOLT 32 actually called both trades like a year before they happened he also called us drafting vasilevskis a year before it happened lol.

I listen to him on goalies a TON. He was wrong about lindback he figured he would wind up better than bishop. Maybe that does happen in time but my original problems with lindback side to side movement stick handling panicking on rushes has not changed enough yet.

So yes I was happy to let the two of them fight it out and was pretty sure bishop would be better goalie. I was happy conacher was guy we lost cause he has no real defense like others we had.

I know you guys is some haters obviously jamie and PG everyone remembers him got butt hurt somehow and just will not change stance ever. Is sad they hate a man who really basically had no choices the vinny deal we have seen get worse yearly?

No choice. Marty ? He made his own bed?
Downie? He is shell of former self already?

I mean everything controversial stevie has done even TIK for DESJY had a reason.

He will not always be right. He will not always make the best choice or choices we will choose or want!! Yet if he is right more than wrong good things generally happen:)

This is a good group of people level headed sometimes we are right sometimes we are wrong. Each one of us I think has been wrong?

Each one of us has stood up as far as I am aware and admitted to being wrong?

I mean on these boards!!
I am proud of this board and the group and the people.

I let people know about it that I think know hockey love the bolts and can share information with us!! I really doubt I have ever done anything like that in my life lol!!

Says a lot I AM PROUD to be here!! Love this group!!

Last edited by a moderator:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As a man of faith I'm obliged to say you all are breaking the 1st HARD with this YzerGod thread. I understand it's all a joke but don't take it TOO far - one: for other reasons I don't need to say because you all know what follows what I said. And two: as to not look foolish because I think people are going to find us crazy for talking like this. Can you imagine what Red Wing fans would have to say if they saw this thread.

I must confess calling it Yzlam is ****ing hilarious and I personally wish I thought of it.

Carry on guys, I don't mean to de-rail the thread.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
As a man of faith I'm obliged to say you all are breaking the 1st HARD with this YzerGod thread. I understand it's all a joke but don't take it TOO far - one: for other reasons I don't need to say because you all know what follows what I said. And two: as to not look foolish because I think people are going to find us crazy for talking like this. Can you imagine what Red Wing fans would have to say if they saw this thread.

I must confess calling it Yzlam is ****ing hilarious and I personally wish I thought of it.

Winger for life. I aint about to change my name but you all amuse me and love the creativeness!!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

I was so stupid in the Conacher thread and the 2013 offseason thread. Sorry Still All In/Fear Boners :laugh:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Eh, I break at least 6 commandments on a daily basis. One more can't hurt too much.

I covet SO HARD.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Oh god... that Conacher/Bishop thread. What fools we were! FOOLS!

Still, even in that thread there was no "FIRE YZERMAN!" talk. There was some "ugh, we could have gotten him for cheaper in the offseason" on top of a few cautious statements and missing Conacher - but there was a lot of "I don't really like it, but let's wait and see." Well, we waited, we saw, and I think we're okay with how it turned out.

That was probably the move that made SFY such a legend. It was a ballsy move, trading a young guy having a good season for a goaltender with question marks, but I think we'll all agree it worked out.

Hey, speak for yourself. :)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So what's your thought on Hipster Yzerman?

MTafUY0.jpg

(see also NHL.com front page)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad