Speculation: Steve simmons: If the leafs sign Tavares, could they trade Nylander?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A Toronto media personality advocating the Leafs trade Nylander? Hardly shocking at this point.

A Dubas led Leafs isn’t going to trade a player like Nylander in his first year as Gm. Young blues chip skilled players are worth their weight in gold to a team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You say that, then continually question why Leafs fans don't like that deal....so, seeing as you keep asking me direct questions, i'll ask you one...you think Nylander for Weber is fair for both teams?

No, the focus was who if not Weber. I was interested to see the other options that could turn the Leafs into a contender. If you want to talk Nylander for Weber. I'm not interested anymore. You guys spoke your piece. Why keep it going? Or are you just looking for a fight and to drag it on?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets face it, he doesnt know what propaganda is. Hes been false on so many levels in this thread.

Lets face it, I doubt you took the time to understand what I am actually saying.

Propaganda:

- Weber has the 2nd worse contract in the NHL
- Weber is declining. It's false. His age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats.
- If you are worried about Weber, you should be even more concerned with the Burns contract. He is also not declining but he has a similar cap hit till age 39 and is due to be paid a lot more money moving forward.

Last edited:

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Lets face it, I doubt you took the time to understand what I am actually saying.

Propaganda:

- Weber is declining. It's false. His age 30+ stats are on par or better than his career stats.
- If you are worried about Weber, you should be even more concerned with the Burns contract. He is also not declining but he has a similar cap hit till age 39 and is due to be paid a lot more money moving forward.

Do you think Weber is as good as burns today/ going into next season?

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto

Propaganda:

Pretty big difference between propaganda and opinion, but...

- 7.8m/year until age 40 for a guy who has never been the fleetest of foot, coming off a major injury to his foot, in a league increasingly reliant on speed, isn't a terribly difficult opinion to defend

- Weber is in the stage of his career where almost everyone faces some sort of age-related decline. If he hasn't declined, it's statistically probable that he will. This is particularly likely given he is not a physical freak (see: Chara, Zdeno) or Nik Lidstrom.

- Nobody is suggesting we trade Nylander for Burns, which I would also decline for the exact same reasons. The Leafs should not be acquiring a guy in his early-mid 30s with a massive cap hit to supplement a core headlined by 20-year olds.

Reactions: Menzinger

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
A Toronto media personality and Leaf fans advocating the Leafs trade Nylander? Hardly shocking at this point.

A Dubas led Leafs isn’t going to trade a player like Nylander in his first year as Gm. Young blues chip skilled players are worth their weight in gold to a team.
FIFY

Thank God Dubas said a few days ago that he is excited to see William grow as a Maple Leaf. He ain't going nowhere.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

Propaganda:

Nope, sadly I've taken the time to see what your actually saying and like a lot of people in here, I'm not buying

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nope, sadly I've taken the time to see what your actually saying and like a lot of people in here, I'm not buying

What’s sad is you are really adding noise on top of noise with no substance. You made a claim that I don’t know what propaganda is but you fail to talk about the example I showed you.

I guess you believe Weber has the 2nd worse contract in the league? Do you or don’t you? Or are you just interested in belittling others with no real discussion?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pretty big difference between propaganda and opinion, but...

- 7.8m/year until age 40 for a guy who has never been the fleetest of foot, coming off a major injury to his foot, in a league increasingly reliant on speed, isn't a terribly difficult opinion to defend

- Weber is in the stage of his career where almost everyone faces some sort of age-related decline. If he hasn't declined, it's statistically probable that he will. This is particularly likely given he is not a physical freak (see: Chara, Zdeno) or Nik Lidstrom.

- Nobody is suggesting we trade Nylander for Burns, which I would also decline for the exact same reasons. The Leafs should not be acquiring a guy in his early-mid 30s with a massive cap hit to supplement a core headlined by 20-year olds.

Do you or don’t you think Weber’s contract is the 2nd worse in the NHL? I strongly believe this is propaganda and yes, this is my opinion.

Weber’s 30+ stats are on par or better than his career averages. He’s the same age as Burns and has a very similar AAV. If you are worried about Weber’s contract, you should be even more worried about Burns. He is more likely to play at age 38 and 39 vs Weber at age 38, 39, 40 where his actual salary is only $1M

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you think Weber is as good as burns today/ going into next season?

Burns is a definite top 10 (most would say top 5) and I think Weber is a fringe top 10 defenseman (10-20 at worse IMO).

The point is not who is better. The point is neither of these players has shown signs of decline. Both are the same age, and very close AAV. However, Burns is due to be paid $54M and Weber $28M. There is a high degree of probability that Weber does not play past the age of 37. His contract was structured that way.

If you are worried about Weber, you should be more concerned about Burns. This all started by a comment.. “Weber has the 2nd worse contract in the NHL” Do you seriously believe that or not?

Weber has shown zero signs of decline. People have been waiting for this decline for a few years now but it has not happened yet

Last edited:

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Biggest problem is Dubas is known for being an advanced statistics junkie.

This isn't to take away from the fact that he OBVIOUSLY knows the game, and knows the value of players; but would Dubas value players like Weber, Suter, Burns or Byfuglien the same way he would value a player like Josi, Karlsson or Pietrangelo?

The sad truth is regardless of Tavares's fate, the Leafs need to address that blue line, especially on the right side; and the only teams that would likely be willing to move a top 4 RD right now is Nashville, Montreal or Calgary (Subban, Weber [ironically], or Hamilton, respectively).

Does Nylander get Subban or Hamilton? Absolutely not.

Could Nylander get Weber? Probably, but even then it's close despite age/contract differences because 1. we don't know what Nylander is demanding and 2. he's a winger and they need a big minute 1D.

I don't think Tavares works in the long term for Toronto just due to cap issues; they could make it work by moving Nylander, but there's no chance that team can stay afloat with Marner likely to be making 8-10m, as well as Tavares and Matthews both taking 12.

The Leafs just simply don't need to add any offensive firepower to their arsenal, they have so much of it in abundance that they need to address their gaping weakness in their own end.

Your underrating Nylander so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad