Confirmed with Link: Steve Patterson named President/CEO

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He was absolutely awful as the AD for UT. Had a bad reputation, seems to have driven several of their programs into the ground, and overall was not successful in many ways.

This hiring puzzles me, honestly.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
He riled up a bunch of oldtime employees and big money boosters because he cut the gravy train. Then other decisions like raising ticket prices riled the student body. I really don't care that the good old boys club at UT hated him. He and the Butcher should get along just fine. I can't think of another place that needed that same sort of cleaning out of the good ol' boys network than the 2016-17 Coyotes.

Patterson is a money/bottom-line guy in every way of the word. Texas is the richest college program in the country and he still insisted on cutting budget in the craziest ways (including CHARGING the band members $200 a year each, as well as numerous other controversial decisions). It's way more than "making the good ol boys mad at him". He was almost universally despised.

If he acted like that at Texas, imagine the things he's going to cut for the Coyotes? I don't have the stat in front of me, but Patterson's employee's resignation rate is insane. He's going to force Chayka to do it his way or the highway.

I have a big time soft spot for the Yotes since the Stars were just in your shoes about 10 years ago, but I hate this hire for you guys. He's not the right guy for the job.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Uhh, this guy was a garbage AD, and was especially bad at forming local partnerships to get anything done on the stadium/arena front for ASU. :shakehead

He was absolutely awful as the AD for UT. Had a bad reputation, seems to have driven several of their programs into the ground, and overall was not successful in many ways.

This hiring puzzles me, honestly.

Patterson is a money/bottom-line guy in every way of the word. Texas is the richest college program in the country and he still insisted on cutting budget in the craziest ways (including CHARGING the band members $200 a year each, as well as numerous other controversial decisions). It's way more than "making the good ol boys mad at him". He was almost universally despised.

If he acted like that at Texas, imagine the things he's going to cut for the Coyotes? I don't have the stat in front of me, but Patterson's employee's resignation rate is insane. He's going to force Chayka to do it his way or the highway.

I have a big time soft spot for the Yotes since the Stars were just in your shoes about 10 years ago, but I hate this hire for you guys. He's not the right guy for the job.

It sounds like sour grapes guys. You can only burn bridges so often before it catches up to you, yet he seems to get the high profile jobs and the way it sounds very well thought of.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think they probably brought him in hoping his valley and ASU ties allow him to make a deal for a stadium. I could care less about this. They aren't getting any public funding and even if they find a scheme that allows them to get a new building, that's years away. The way to success for this team is what they're doing on the ice. Put an entertaining product on the ice that starts to win and the people will come. That's how it's always been here and that's how it's going to stay. That stadium stuff is just noise to be ignored.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
It sounds like sour grapes guys. You can only burn bridges so often before it catches up to you, yet he seems to get the high profile jobs and the way it sounds very well thought of.

Ok, I hope he's changed but I fear you'll see for yourself.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Researching the articles, it seems they sympathize with his decisions but what got him in trouble were his people skills.
They had a 2.8 million dollar debt within the department at one point so he did some things like, raise season ticket prices up 6%, charge for parking which wasn't done before, take complimentary meals away from coaches and families, not allow the coaches wives and children to ride to games in a free van supplied by the department...things any good manager would have done but he just didn't communicate to these people WHY he was doing it.
He seldom if ever met with the coaches or alumni which alienated him from ..well everyone I guess.
Even the Austin newspaper said many things that he did, anyone else in his position at that time would have had to do....
The incident where he pushed that photographer who was trying to photograph BEVO and the team coming through the tunnel bothers me a little.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
ASU was happy to be rid of him.

Well that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, granted I'm not that surprised to hear it either. Everything I've ever read about the guy's tenure with the Longhorns has been a disaster. Plus I mean just look at how that athletic program did under him, went further down the drain.

Just cause a guy has a nice resume doesn't always mean he should the right man for the job. IMO this is the first big misstep under Barroway

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well that's not exactly what I was hoping to hear, granted I'm not that surprised to hear it either. Everything I've ever read about the guy's tenure with the Longhorns has been a disaster. Plus I mean just look at how that athletic program did under him, went further down the drain.

Just cause a guy has a nice resume doesn't always mean he should the right man for the job. IMO this is the first big misstep under Barroway

I don't know this guy from Adam, but his resume is quite impressive. You don't get that by being a dummy. The way some are talking he has been a disaster everywhere he has been. Looking from the outside in, I think this is a great hire.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Or the story I read where TCU's (or maybe Rice) reporter ask him in a press conference why the TCU band didn't get free tickets.
6 out of 10 teams in the conference don't give visiting bands free tickets.
Patterson told the guy he had given TCU 300 free tickets to use as they please.
The reporter pressed him on why the band didn't get free tickets.
Patterson got animated waiving his arms around, trying to explain to the guy that he gave the school 300 free tickets!......a scene which embarrassed the UT President

Chicken---- like this got him in trouble...Id be waiving my arms around too.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
College sports are all about the donors ($). Once he made them mad at UT he was a deadman walking. It's just not how it's done. That big complaint was that he upset the apple cart by running it like a business/prosport model. He was bad there to the extent he ignored the internal politics and reality of boosters/donors/old boy network. I really don't care.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
College sports are all about the donors ($). Once he made them mad at UT he was a deadman walking. It's just not how it's done. That big complaint was that he upset the apple cart by running it like a business/prosport model. He was bad there to the extent he ignored the internal politics and reality of boosters/donors/old boy network. I really don't care.

He may be better in a professional setting (do the Coyotes qualify?) but he is not the man you want to repair local relationships and build bridges.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

In his defense, he walked into a financial mess with Texas.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Seems to me based on reading the reactions of this person I know nothing about that he's probably an upgrade in this position but maybe not as much as we'd like.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

This is what I was afraid of. Didn't take long for this kind of post to come through(and thank you!). I'm hopeful for the best, obviously, but this paints a different picture.

You never know what/who you are really getting. I'm hoping this is a good one for us and we continue on here in Arizona.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

There's way more to it than pleasing the donors. He's a horrible boss and it shows by the amount of people that resign underneath him. I hope for the Coyotes sake that he can keep the existing talent in the ticket sales/front office department because quite a few of the decisions he's going to make will **** them off big time.

In his defense, he walked into a financial mess with Texas.

Texas has been a mess in a lot of ways recently, but financially has not been one of them. It's the richest athletic department in the nation.

This is what I was afraid of. Didn't take long for this kind of post to come through(and thank you!). I'm hopeful for the best, obviously, but this paints a different picture.

You never know what/who you are really getting. I'm hoping this is a good one for us and we continue on here in Arizona.

No problem. I really hope it works out for y'all, but I've seen what this guy has done with an unlimited budget. In my opinion, without ever meeting the guy, he has big time "tunnel vision" and has to do things the way he wants to, regardless of what anyone else says about it.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There's way more to it than pleasing the donors. He's a horrible boss and it shows by the amount of people that resign underneath him. I hope for the Coyotes sake that he can keep the existing talent in the ticket sales/front office department because quite a few of the decisions he's going to make will **** them off big time.

Texas has been a mess in a lot of ways recently, but financially has not been one of them. It's the richest athletic department in the nation.

No problem. I really hope it works out for y'all, but I've seen what this guy has done with an unlimited budget. In my opinion, without ever meeting the guy, he has big time "tunnel vision" and has to do things the way he wants to, regardless of what anyone else says about it.

just remember expectations were and are sky high in Texas and there is a lot more to the story not worth getting into here, some good, some bad. from an AZ perspective, the Coyotes are going from LeBlanc to patterson. This is a clear and major upgrade to somebody well connected in the AZ that can help land a new arena. The local ties and experience are more important then the fish bowl Texas experience that didn't work out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Having lots of money isn't the same as not being a mess. The athletic department was losing nearly $3M a year when Patterson walked in. That seems to get overlooked amid all the outrage over coaches only getting 30 free meals and having to *gasp* pay for others or not getting team-expensed personal transportation for their families to get to games. Or redundant, but long-tenured and popular staff being shown the door or nudged toward it. Or big money donors upset that they couldn't continue to scalp their season tickets without paying a new transaction fee. The horror.
He came in to balance the expenses and income and ran a promodel. There was a lot of push back. Pretty predictable if you've ever seen college athletics up close.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Having lots of money isn't the same as not being a mess. The athletic department was losing nearly $3M a year when Patterson walked in. That seems to get overlooked amid all the outrage over coaches only getting 30 free meals and having to *gasp* pay for others or not getting team-expensed personal transportation for their families to get to games. Or redundant, but long-tenured and popular staff being shown the door or nudged toward it. Or big money donors upset that they couldn't continue to scalp their season tickets without paying a new transaction fee. The horror.
He came in to balance the expenses and income and ran a promodel. There was a lot of push back. Pretty predictable if you've ever seen college athletics up close.

Exactly. In this day and age everyone thinks they are entitled and want hand outs, and scream like hell when the cut backs affects them. I don't know this guy, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let his actions speak for them self.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

They would've been profitable if it weren't for the coaching buyouts. Plus, in 2014, all but 20 FBS programs lost money on the year. The average power 5 school lost 2.7 million a year on athletics (which is right in line with what Texas was at at 2.8).

There are some schools that can't handle a net-loss in athletics, but Texas certainly can (even though they made over 6 million in 2016). It's Patterson's adaptability to a situation that is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad