Confirmed with Link: Steve Patterson named President/CEO

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If you want me to agree that an AD position where he needs to tiptoe around donors was a bad fit, I'm all in. I just don't think his performance was disastrous as much as it was unpopular. I think you can make an argument that his unwillingness to play realpolitik surrounding the cartel speaks to him being out of touch with how the SEC works, and hence, a bad hire. That doesn't really concern me as it relates to his job as NHL CEO.
None of that means he'll be great in Phoenix or is an extremely personable guy. I just think the whining from UT surrounding him is just that. Whining. (I don't mean you. I'm talking about all the outraged staff and boosters at the time -- "My God, Steve fired him must like that. He's been here forever. He's like family". " I can't believe how we're being treated as donors for the past 22 years" etc) My cousin is a UT alumn and hates him, too. Hehe I've spent a lot of time in New Braunfels and Greune. A little less time in Austin. Nice area.

Anyway, his popularity in and surrounding Austin doesn't really bother me. He just needs to balance the books. Or help close the gap, in reality. He's pretty highly regarded as a brain, if not a personality. I look forward to seeing what happens. I don't think he's a shoe-in for success or anything. I'm just saying in context the UT uproar means nothing to me.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If you want me to agree that an AD position where he needs to tiptoe around donors was a bad fit, I'm all in. I just don't think his performance was disastrous as much as it was unpopular. I think you can make an argument that his unwillingness to play realpolitik surrounding the cartel speaks to him being out of touch with how the SEC works, and hence, a bad hire. That doesn't really concern me as it relates to his job as NHL CEO.
None of that means he'll be great in Phoenix or is an extremely personable guy. I just think the whining from UT surrounding him is just that. Whining. (I don't mean you. I'm talking about all the outraged staff and boosters at the time -- "My God, Steve fired him must like that. He's been here forever. He's like family". " I can't believe how we're being treated as donors for the past 22 years" etc) My cousin is a UT alumn and hates him, too. Hehe I've spent a lot of time in New Braunfels and Greune. A little less time in Austin. Nice area.

Anyway, his popularity in and surrounding Austin doesn't really bother me. He just needs to balance the books. Or help close the gap, in reality. He's pretty highly regarded as a brain, if not a personality. I look forward to seeing what happens. I don't think he's a shoe-in for success or anything. I'm just saying in context the UT uproar means nothing to me.

I'm worried though that the way he does business will lead to the best talent in the organization jumping ship to the Suns, Cards or DBacks or to another NHL team. People hate working for Patterson. He certainly will improve the financial aspects of the organziation, but it'll come at a big cost in my opinion.

And it's not as though he has a glowing endorsement from his professional stops, either..

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
An old acquaintance of mine is a retired hospital CEO. I once asked him why hospital CEO's changed jobs so often. He told me that in his line of work, due to having to make tough decisions about manpower, friends come and go but enemies accumulate. I think its the same for Steve Patterson's line of work. I take the negative comments about him with a grain of salt.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
An old acquaintance of mine is a retired hospital CEO. I once asked him why hospital CEO's changed jobs so often. He told me that in his line of work, due to having to make tough decisions about manpower, friends come and go but enemies accumulate. I think its the same for Steve Patterson's line of work. I take the negative comments about him with a grain of salt.
Spot on!

Texas was as "country club" as you can get. Barroway has proven he's all about closing the AZ country club (the CC with no money, unlike UT).

Patterson has essentially one job.....get the arena deal done. He'll likely leave shortly after no matter the outcome.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I think you can make an argument that his unwillingness to play realpolitik surrounding the cartel speaks to him being out of touch with how the SEC works, and hence, a bad hire.

(he wasn't in the SEC...unless you were referring to the Securities Exchange Commission? Although it's likely the SEC is wackier than the Big XII in many ways.)

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Hopefully, Steve Patterson still has it after his lengthy service, trials and successes.
The worst that can happen is if the club suddenly realizes they have the hockey equivalent of a Tony Larussa on their hands.
The Dbacks could weather that storm and respectively handle their mistake.
The Coyotes can't afford that kind of luck.
I sure hope he still has the energy and the right stuff to handle the incredibly tough job he has before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad