Rumor: Steve Moses (CLB/EDM interested)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The first thing that popped into my head besides..whatever?....was the name Tony Salmelainen....Same size guys and the stats are fairly comparable. If we can bring this guy in and eventually convert him into another Spacek I'd be all over that bandwagon:naughty:

now we are on the same page

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Worth a gamble IMO.

Just watched that highlight, not only does he have very good top end speed, but his acceleration is very good as well. At worst he maybe a Gerbe clone.

Nathan Gerbe is a full time, 30 point NHLer. The worst case scenario with an unheard of prospect is certainly much, much, much worse than that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nathan Gerbe is a full time, 30 point NHLer. The worst case scenario with an unheard of prospect is certainly much, much, much worse than that.

He's not really unheard of - just led the KHL in scoring, arguably the 2nd best hockey league in the world - and he's not really a prospect, as he's 25. I don't see the harm in signing him to a 2 year deal and seeing what he's got at this level.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Eliteprospects says:
Typical sniper: shoots a lot and has nice scoring touch. Is small in size but competes hard. Very fast and good skater.

If he competes hard and has some defensive ability, he could even be a little spark plug with Hendricks and Gordon on the 4th line.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's not really unheard of - just led the KHL in scoring, arguably the 2nd best hockey league in the world - and he's not really a prospect, as he's 25. I don't see the harm in signing him to a 2 year deal and seeing what he's got at this level.

I don't see the harm either.

But the worst case scenario is most certainly worse than a career 3rd liner in the NHL.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I don't see the harm either.

But the worst case scenario is most certainly worse than a career 3rd liner in the NHL.
Have any of these "gamble" signings ever damaged the team that made them? The best case scenario is you get a guy like Lehtera who fits in really well with the team. In the worst case scenario, you get a guy like Kontiola who struggles for a bit and goes home or you get a Petrell who floats around as a fourth line tweener.

If Moses is looking to come over and his skating is legit, I think we'd be silly not to take a chance on him assuming he would come somewhat cheap.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Have any of these "gamble" signings ever damaged the team that made them? The best case scenario is you get a guy like Lehtera who fits in really well with the team. In the worst case scenario, you get a guy like Kontiola who struggles for a bit and goes home or you get a Petrell who floats around as a fourth line tweener.

If Moses is looking to come over and his skating is legit, I think we'd be silly not to take a chance on him assuming he would come somewhat cheap.

Worst case scenario as in the player just doesn't pan out. As I said, there's no harm in taking a risk on a player. By all means do it. Just there's probably a better chance than not that he doesn't pan out.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I don't know why no one is commenting on other KHL guys like Artemi Panarin. The guy is 23, 5'11 170 and put up 62 pts this year in the KHL.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Worst case scenario as in the player just doesn't pan out. As I said, there's no harm in taking a risk on a player. By all means do it. Just there's probably a better chance than not that he doesn't pan out.
Yep, most of these European gambles don't pay off. I'm guessing they have a similar success rate to signing college players as free agents. At the same time, you can strike out ten times in a row and if you end up with one stud, it's all worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad