Value of: Steve Mason or another G signed for 1 more year to NYI

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders are in a tough spot, Greiss isn't good enough to be the #1 and Soderstrom/Sorokin aren't ready to take the reins. If they go the UFA rout, it will likely take a multi year contract to get a decent enough player to start or share platoon duties with Greiss. This isn't ideal because it blocks Soderstrom/Sorokin.

The idea is to trade for Mason because he's only got 1 year left on his deal to keep options open when Soderstrom/Sorokin are ready.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The Islanders are in a tough spot, Greiss isn't good enough to be the #1 and Soderstrom/Sorokin aren't ready to take the reins. If they go the UFA rout, it will likely take a multi year contract to get a decent enough player to start or share platoon duties with Greiss. This isn't ideal
because it blocks Soderstrom/Sorokin.

The idea is to trade for Mason because he's only got 1 year left on his deal to keep options open when Soderstrom/Sorokin are ready.

UFA rights to De Haan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Islanders are in a tough spot, Greiss isn't good enough to be the #1 and Soderstrom/Sorokin aren't ready to take the reins. If they go the UFA rout, it will likely take a multi year contract to get a decent enough player to start or share platoon duties with Greiss. This isn't ideal because it blocks Soderstrom/Sorokin.

This is an interesting idea. The Jets would either need to re-sign Hutch or sign a cheap backup but they will very soon be squeezed for cap space that trading Mason could help free up. I don't think the price would be that high as Mason has been snake bit with injuries all season long and Helly has developed into a full blown starter. What could NYI stomach?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
This is an interesting idea. The Jets would either need to re-sign Hutch or sign a cheap backup but they will very soon be squeezed for cap space that trading Mason could help free up. I don't think the price would be that high as Mason has been snake bit with injuries all season long and Helly has developed into a full blown starter. What could NYI stomach?

Hutch won’t come back. He’s fed up with the Jets moving him up and down and wants a legit shot an at NHL job. However, we could move Mason and sign Mrazek to a 2 yr $1M per deal until Comrie shows he’s NHL ready.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hutch won’t come back. He’s fed up with the Jets moving him up and down and wants a legit shot an at NHL job. However, we could move Mason and sign Mrazek to a 2 yr $1M per deal until Comrie shows he’s NHL ready.
He may or may not be fed up, but he is an NHL backup/ AHL tweener at this point in his career, and he might not get a lot of job offers at the NHL level. No one will guarantee him anything at this point and I'm guessing most offers will be short term and 2-way. If Jets give him the best offer I'm guessing he takes it and tries to hold onto an NHL career. In all honesty I'd prefer a more certain backup quality goaltender over taking a risk that Hutch isn't able to handle that role.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Yikes I’m sure this is the last thing Tavares wants to hear

It's a stopgap.... the guy coming through soon holds the KHL all time best GAA in the playoffs (1.55). Lowest GAA in a season (1.06 as a 20 year old) and 2nd best SV% ever recorded in the KHL in a season (.953 as a 20 year old) to go along with the 2nd most shutouts in a season (10 as a 20 year old). He's 22 and holds the 2nd or 3rd career best GAA in what many consider the 2nd best league in the world.

The other guy coming as soon as next season? Broke Lundqvists record in the SHL for GAA last season on his way to backstop HV71 to a championship as a 21 year old. (1.34 .943SV%). I believe he just barely missed the SV% record.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Eh.... if the Islanders have to retain salary to move Griess they might as well keep him. Factor in his retention added to the cost of replacing him with a similar quality keeper, and you're probably spending the same amount or more. Griess is fine as a backup or limited 1B behind a better G.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Isles probably take a flyer on Mrazek.
If they could get rid of Greiss maybe they would look to trade for someone but right now I don't see us taking on another big salary with JT on the mend.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Lol does Snow at least give Chiarelli some lube this time.

What an awful trade for the Oilers but I guess it is tradition.
Not as tilted if you believe that Talbot overperformed last season and that Sekera is not going to be the same player he was before his injury. Plus they'd free up about $4 million in cap space, get an upgrade on Sekera, and a pick to boot.

Personally I think Sekera is toast, so easy pass for me on that deal. I would be much more interested in Lehner's RFA rights.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Buyout Greiss' NHL contract

Then buyout Sorokin's KHL contract

Sorokin might not be ready? I doubt he'd be worse than Greiss was last year. Tampa, Pittsburgh and Winnipeg handed over the keys to their prized goaltending prospect, how is that working out for those three teams?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Islanders only need to start playing defense to have better goaltending for free of charge.

However, if you are interested in Mason...

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
He may or may not be fed up, but he is an NHL backup/ AHL tweener at this point in his career, and he might not get a lot of job offers at the NHL level. No one will guarantee him anything at this point and I'm guessing most offers will be short term and 2-way. If Jets give him the best offer I'm guessing he takes it and tries to hold onto an NHL career. In all honesty I'd prefer a more certain backup quality goaltender over taking a risk that Hutch isn't able to handle that role.
IMO Hutchison may have an attitude problem. When he's up with the Jets he talks to the media, when he's down with the AHL Moose he doesn't talk to the media. Like there's a lot of media to talk to in Winnipeg?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Honestly, give the leafs a 3rd for Calvin Pickard. He's good enough for a platoon role next year (once the leafs QO him) and you sign a cheap guy like Bernier or just run him with Greiss for a year.

Reactions: iSophagus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad