News Article: Steve Mason late scratch in Edmonton

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I don't believe this for a second. This is a CYA moment. What good does it do Seravelli to break that story if it wasn't so? Makes no sense.

First off... if you read the article it starts off talking about body languages telling us so much... and then he tells of what he perceived and what he believes it to tell us. It is not reporting what happened as much as it is what the writer perceives to have happened based on what he observed from a distance without the aide of hearing what was said. It is to me a perfect vehicle to stir the pot and gain an edge over the other Beat Writers and Bloggers.

You are being very naïve if you believe that the Beat Writers of newspapers are not scrambling for their jobs and not without agendas at times... What good does it do for a Beat to write articles slanted one way or another? For one thing it often brings notoriety and, as you can see here, it gets their name out there and brings reads... Another thing it does is serve whatever bias they may have. In this case it may very well be that he wants to help Mason as he sees him being treated wrongly... or he may have a grudge against Berube for something or another... or merely because he sees Berube as not being good for the Flyers... I'm not saying that any of this is the case with Frank... only that it is naïve to not even consider it. The whole thing is that he reported a reached perception and did not report facts... The article did indeed stir up the crap that was there, but it was based on zero facts, as I see it... Frank heard nothing and really doesn't know exactly what happened in the distance.

There have been many cases of reporters running players out of Philly... some recent... I honestly believe that Mike Richards had battles with the Beats and their writing reflected that, as well as did their presser questions.

There are enough facts and signs out there without having to manufacture any... or report on perceived body language as was admittedly the case here.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't believe this for a second. This is a CYA moment. What good does it do Seravelli to break that story if it wasn't so? Makes no sense.

... so you have no clue how writers make money?

Page views.

Write an article that causes a buzz, people want to read about it, they read your story.

They don't get paid for writing quality stories, they get paid for writing popular stories.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
... so you have no clue how writers make money?

Page views.

Write an article that causes a buzz, people want to read about it, they read your story.

They don't get paid for writing quality stories, they get paid for writing popular stories.
But if the article isn't so, the players and team staff will freeze the writer from stories. There's no sense in that for a writer.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The amount of conclusions being jumped to in this thread are ridiculous. No one knows what happened with Reese as no official comment has been made other than "No comment". Mase most likely won't be moved, he likes it here. Berube will most likely be moved, Hextall didn't hire him. Hartnell wasn't traded because of Berube. He doesn't fit Hextall's team vision a few years down the line. You guys should know not to trust Philly beat writers by now.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
If that were the case none of the current beat writers would still be here. :laugh:

I wonder how Carchidi withstood his feud with Richards. :shakehead ;)

To be honest since there is the Freedom Of the Press and there are NHL League Rules/Procedures to be answered to... not mention backlash and law suites that could be brought if a writer is singled out, no matter the reasoning... I don't think the Flyers could limit any credentialed reporter. A while back wasn't there a stink about Goalies (Bryz) being held back from talking at a certain time and the Flyers had to be sanctioned by the League and had to reverse their position?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

To be honest since there is the Freedom Of the Press and there are NHL League Rules/Procedures to be answered to... not mention backlash and law suites that could be brought if a writer is singled out, no matter the reasoning... I don't think the Flyers could limit any credentialed reporter. A while back wasn't there a stink about Goalies (Bryz) being held back from talking at a certain time and the Flyers had to be sanctioned by the League and had to reverse their position?

yes there was something to that were they tried to shelter Bryz... and they ended up having to reverse and let him speak to reporters..

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I'd say it's one thing to heavily imply at something, criticise a coach-player as part of personal opinion or blow an incident that was already out there out of all proportion. They've all done that. This though, was a specific incident that Seravalli witnessed. I really don't think he'd make it up. I have no doubt he embellished it somewhat to make it sound more juicy, but I think the basics of it did happen.

No, but it certainly helps Seravalli to have a good relationship with the Flyers. If he wrote something that was entirely untrue, then maybe they may give an exclusive to another reporter or they might be un-co operative when it comes to 1-on-1 interviews and the like.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I'd say it's one thing to heavily imply at something, criticise a coach-player as part of personal opinion or blow an incident that was already out there out of all proportion. They've all done that. This though, was a specific incident that Seravalli witnessed. I really don't think he'd make it up. I have no doubt he embellished it somewhat to make it sound more juicy, but I think the basics of it did happen.

No, but it certainly helps Seravalli to have a good relationship with the Flyers. If he wrote something that was entirely untrue, then maybe they may give an exclusive to another reporter or they might be un-co operative when it comes to 1-on-1 interviews and the like.

Twice now Seravalli has had his articles flat out called incorrect... either total or basically... this one and IIRC the one on the 'separation of ways' with Jeff -- I believe that it was the PDN article specifically were the said it was totally incorrect and these things are reported because they don't know anything about it -- Now, will Hexy, Berube (in the time he has left) or the Organization as a whole come down on Frank in some manner? What can they do? I don't believe that they give exclusives to any Beat Writer as they report en masse or through a message... maybe CSN or another TV/Cable station might get an interview or such... That said, I don't doubt that they might 'unofficially' 'leak' out something to a favored scribe or blogger who scratched their backs in the past... and who is to say that they haven't erased Seravalli off their list of whose been good already?

The main things these Beats/bloggers have going for them is that they follow the Team/Players on a regular basis and have access to the Locker Room and at time Management... besides that, their knowledge and foresight may be below many of the better fans of Hockey and the Flyers... If you get a chance you may want to look up the background of some of them and the circumstances in which they were selected. I know some of it but I don't want to get into specifics at this point as I don't think it is proper here and now.

If Seravalli had reported on what he KNEW, and expounded on it in an analytical theory, that would be all well and good... and we could either take it or leave it... But what Frank did was observe from afar, without hearing anything, and make assumptions based on body language -- to my knowledge he is not trained in that field -- He know nothing of what was said as Berube and Mason passed upon entering the bus... which we can only assume Seravalli had no access to for the trip... It has been reported that Berube and Mason met after the Calgary Game and before leaving the Arena for the bus, and that said what had to be said and were fine with that... they alluded to the fact that they were past the event. This is backed up by both people involved and both have stated that Mason was not snubbed. Who are we to believe... the only two people who know firsthand the events that transpire... or... a person who saw they go to the bus and watched their silent body language and assumed whatever he felt suited him best?

I have no doubt that there is fire behind the smoke of the Goalie related events of the past couple of weeks... but the more and more I read and hear about it, the more I feel that the snub/body language 'report' is totally bullcrap.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Twice now Seravalli has had his articles flat out called incorrect... either total or basically... this one and IIRC the one on the 'separation of ways' with Jeff -- I believe that it was the PDN article specifically were the said it was totally incorrect and these things are reported because they don't know anything about it -- Now, will Hexy, Berube (in the time he has left) or the Organization as a whole come down on Frank in some manner? What can they do? I don't believe that they give exclusives to any Beat Writer as they report en masse or through a message... maybe CSN or another TV/Cable station might get an interview or such... That said, I don't doubt that they might 'unofficially' 'leak' out something to a favored scribe or blogger who scratched their backs in the past... and who is to say that they haven't erased Seravalli off their list of whose been good already?

The main things these Beats/bloggers have going for them is that they follow the Team/Players on a regular basis and have access to the Locker Room and at time Management... besides that, their knowledge and foresight may be below many of the better fans of Hockey and the Flyers... If you get a chance you may want to look up the background of some of them and the circumstances in which they were selected. I know some of it but I don't want to get into specifics at this point as I don't think it is proper here and now.

If Seravalli had reported on what he KNEW, and expounded on it in an analytical theory, that would be all well and good... and we could either take it or leave it... But what Frank did was observe from afar, without hearing anything, and make assumptions based on body language -- to my knowledge he is not trained in that field -- He know nothing of what was said as Berube and Mason passed upon entering the bus... which we can only assume Seravalli had no access to for the trip... It has been reported that Berube and Mason met after the Calgary Game and before leaving the Arena for the bus, and that said what had to be said and were fine with that... they alluded to the fact that they were past the event. This is backed up by both people involved and both have stated that Mason was not snubbed. Who are we to believe... the only two people who know firsthand the events that transpire... or... a person who saw they go to the bus and watched their silent body language and assumed whatever he felt suited him best?

I have no doubt that there is fire behind the smoke of the Goalie related events of the past couple of weeks... but the more and more I read and hear about it, the more I feel that the snub/body language 'report' is totally bullcrap.

Fair enough. I don't think he has been frozen out with regards to information, I think I've seen a few bits of inside information some of his articles in the past. If he was to be frozen out, was being beaten to stories and had a complete relationship breakdown with the org, then I imagine he wouldn't be in a job for much longer.

I'd also say it's in Mason and Berube's interests as much as anyone to make sure they try and move on from the story qnd not blow it up anymore. They have just as much reason as Seravalli for making up their own version of events.

But I don't know really. I don't know Seravalli's motivation. If he received some bogus information from a source on the previous article, then obviously he needs to be a lot more careful about what he prints. But he's still getting a second hand account. I would hope though that he still has a modicum of integrity and wouldn't completely make up something he claims to have seen first hand.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Fair enough. I don't think he has been frozen out with regards to information, I think I've seen a few bits of inside information some of his articles in the past. If he was to be frozen out, was being beaten to stories and had a complete relationship breakdown with the org, then I imagine he wouldn't be in a job for much longer.

I'd also say it's in Mason and Berube's interests as much as anyone to make sure they try and move on from the story qnd not blow it up anymore. They have just as much reason as Seravalli for making up their own version of events.

But I don't know really. I don't know Seravalli's motivation. If he received some bogus information from a source on the previous article, then obviously he needs to be a lot more careful about what he prints. But he's still getting a second hand account. I would hope though that he still has a modicum of integrity and wouldn't completely make up something he claims to have seen first hand.

From all I know all accredited 'reporters' have access to the 'inside' information that they release... and all at the same time. Frank gets what the others get... If he was on a naughty list I would assume that he would not get any calculated leaks nor special access interviews... and they would not go out of their way give him any 'treats'.

Berube and Mason may well indeed have more reason to bend the truth... but the fact will always be there that they were the only ones fully privy to the goings on between the two at all times and Seravalli in the latter article was privy to nothing but a fleeting glance of one part of their interaction... and with no context in relation to other interactions, I might add... and that fleeting glance was from afar and he heard nothing. Again, I must stress that Frank relied on his (assumingly) untrained perception of the body language of each person. I also believe that Hextall IIRC also stated that the two did discuss the matter immediately after the game and before they left to cat the bus... At that point I would assume that a busy head coach may have had to be a bit hasty in finishing up all his post game activities and get his stuff and himself on the bus before it was to leave... I would hope that everything would have been taken care of by the time they boarded the bus. This is all pure logic to me and assumption of their professionalism. Mason wanting to chat with Berube at that point rather than alone in the Arena makes little sense to me. Seravalli observing is all well and good... but his reporting based on unsubstantiated information is not. Frankly, I'd give much more credence to his earlier article than to this latter one.

That said, the earlier article contained info from unnamed sources and them being in that status carry little real weight... they cannot be questioned nor can they be asked follow up questions... But at least it is not all based on what Frank took from body language.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00