Steve Downie

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have a question.. has anyone actually seen Downie talking to the refs? I always see him jawing at the opposition. But why would the refs be telling him to shut up and warning Sid & MJ to put him on a leash if he was just talking to opponents? I've never heard of refs caring about that.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Downie is bleeding money because of his reputation. He has third liner hands at least, but because of his reputation he will get close to league minimum... The Pens won't re-sign him.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Now everyone does it to Letang. Dudes going to forget the name of his child within five years at this rate.

Every team (except us) does it to the d-men on any team they're playing. Shane Doan isn't sticking up for his BFF Kimmo.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Downie is bleeding money because of his reputation. He has third liner hands at least, but because of his reputation he will get close to league minimum... The Pens won't re-sign him.

1 million for 14 goals a season playing with mostly scrubs... Why wouldn't you resign the guy. Everyone was whining about Crosby getting abused, so the Pens address it. Now everyone wants to rid the team of the only guy who has consistently stuck up for his teammates.

The penalty situation with him isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and I can count on one hand the amount of penalties he's taken that have truly impacted the Penguins negatively.

Here's the bad news, you live and die by the sword. If you want guys who are bat **** crazy enough to fight anyone who takes runs at their teammates, you're going to have to deal with the drama from time to time.

You absolutely resign Steve Downie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We need more fighters, not 1 less. If you don't re-sign Downie you have to replace him and then some.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
I have a question.. has anyone actually seen Downie talking to the refs? I always see him jawing at the opposition. But why would the refs be telling him to shut up and warning Sid & MJ to put him on a leash if he was just talking to opponents? I've never heard of refs caring about that.

Downie is always talking to refs. You must not be watching closely you can see it on TV. If you watch a game in person, between the whistles when he is on the ice he is always talking to refs. Many times if he gets a penalty, he is also screaming at them from the box. He is probably yelling/talking to them from the bench also.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Downie is always talking to refs. You must not be watching closely you can see it on TV. If you watch a game in person, between the whistles when he is on the ice he is always talking to refs. Many times if he gets a penalty, he is also screaming at them from the box. He is probably yelling/talking to them from the bench also.

Who, on this team, isn't talking to the refs?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
We need more fighters, not 1 less. If you don't re-sign Downie you have to replace him and then some.

No, no, no. That's not what Rutherford said. You don't need fighters come playoff time. That's why Despres and Bortuzzo needed to leave. Lovejoy is perfect because he's a hitter. Crosby and Malkin will get into big scraps if need to be.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Pens certainly need a downie like player, but the downie brand is just too toxic with the refs for him to be effective.

nexguy

Oct 24, 2006
1 million for 14 goals a season playing with mostly scrubs... Why wouldn't you resign the guy. Everyone was whining about Crosby getting abused, so the Pens address it. Now everyone wants to rid the team of the only guy who has consistently stuck up for his teammates.

The penalty situation with him isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and I can count on one hand the amount of penalties he's taken that have truly impacted the Penguins negatively.

Here's the bad news, you live and die by the sword. If you want guys who are bat **** crazy enough to fight anyone who takes runs at their teammates, you're going to have to deal with the drama from time to time.

You absolutely resign Steve Downie.

Absolutely do not resign Downie. Not only has he put us on the pk a rediculous amount of times, we don't get a chance to score because we are down. At least 100 minutes of ev play Downie has taken needlessly from the pens. You can't win in the playoffs with discipline like that. You can also stick up for teammates without being a cancer.

edit: If it were not for the Pens amazing PK this season they would not be close to the playoffs right now. The Pens have fought hard to make up for the fact that Downie is a Pen. Can't keep doing that.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Downie is the Pens fighter then they really need help.

Do we have a fight count this year? I can think of 3 legit fights.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

He's still wearing a scarlet letter in their eyes for breaking a linesman's foot in the minors ten years ago.

Maybe Dorsett can be less detrimental for a similar cap hit.

As an enforcer, type, probably, but you're sacrificing a lot of energy and a **** ton of goals.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He is, and they do. The other guys that could answer the bell (Despres, Bortuzzo, Sill) were traded.

and Despres and Borts could actually play to which didn't hurt. Pens seem to want to play a chippy game without actually having the players to do so. I'd suggest bringing in someone like McQuaid on defense (could have been an option if we'd kept Despres and lost Scuderi) but I think he's going to get Engelland + money. Andy Andreoff is a RFA in LA's system who is a pretty decent scrapper. Andrew Desjardens has a win over Tanner Glass and a draw with Tootoo. Anthony Peluso is an RFA, maybe Winnipeg wont qualify him. Matt Beleskey fights but he's about to make bank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad