News Article: Steve Bégin retires

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/bégin-annonce-sa-retraite-avec-émotion-1.832155

One of the most courageous guy who ever played in the NHL. So little talent, but a heart as big as the Bell Center. He was willing to do anything to help his team, and that includes diving head first in front of a slap shot. Definitely one of my 3 or 4 favorite players of the last 15 years.

In his prime, he was the prototypical 4th liner. The player that would jump on the ice only to hit everything that moves, to pump up the crowd and wake up his teamates. A good forechecker, efficient on PK, always with a positive attitude, etc.

Félicitation pour cette magnifique carrière Steve!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The guy played hard every shift, left it all on the ice...made some bonehead decisions at time, but ya gotta love guys like Begin!

Would be a great asst coach somewhere...

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I hope RDS grabs him right now. He would be one of the best on antichambre. He is just LOVED in MTL

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
He knew how to make chara angry. LOL
Still decent career hopefully he can find some work in the media or something like that.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The guy put his body on the line, played injured, ate the boards for the team. He LITTERALLY took the boards to the teeth once, if you remember that incident.

Any team needs this kind of guy.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
The guy put his body on the line, played injured, ate the boards for the team. He LITTERALLY took the boards to the teeth once, if you remember that incident.

Any team needs this kind of guy.

All retirement kidding aside, you're right. What a trooper tha guy was. Sadly, that series against Philly left a bad taste in my mouth :shakehead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Let's sign him for a day so he can retire as a Hab :sarcasm:

Do we have a Habs retirement chair for him? :sarcasm:

His would have legs of various lengths, rips and tears on the backrest, a broken armrest, a splintered seat and no matter how well you fix it, the chair will always wobble but never collapse.

Merci beaucoup, Steve. Bonne continuation. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd photoshop one if I had the time :laugh:

I don't doubt it. :laugh:

I loved Bégin's going-for-broke approach -- which usually ended with him getting broken. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Ugh the 4 minute high-stick when the period was over. What a terrible collapse.
Loved him until then.

Leading 5-4 at the end of the 2nd, needing a win to secure a playoff spot. Then this unnecessary 4-min high stick penalty, fighting for the puck in neutral zone at the buzzer...

I can forgive him, but that's what I'll remember him for, mostly.

Random cheap shot: Bouillon was -3 in this game.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I hope the Habs invite him this year to make the official face-off for a game. Actually, I think the organization should do this for more players who had great moments in Montreal.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
When he joined the habs, he was a sparkplug that showed the ability to score, but you always knew that his style of play would probably catch up to him sooner than later.

You will never be able to say that he didn't leave it all out on the ice. Good for him.

pine*

4 min high sticking penalty in game #82 vs the Leafs of the 2006-07 season.

Ugh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad