Confirmed with Link: Stephen Johns signs 2-year 1-way contract extension (725k AAV)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Johns has really impressed me so far. I liked what I saw of him in the AHL from a potential standpoint, but I had my concerns with defensive errors. So far, he has looked to have decreased those mistakes at the NHL-level...go figure? You'd think any defensive shortcomings at the AHL-level would be even more detrimental at the NHL-level. He did play with Lindell quite a bit in the AHL, so it is possible that either Lindell or the coaching system CP was making his job harder...just throwing it out there. It could also be more of a compliment to Oduya as a defensive partner. Still too early to make these kind of determinations, Johns still has a lot to prove, but it's something of which we should take note.

If he can keep this play up, he will be a GREAT addition to our blue line. He brings the pain and has the size to make our defense more versatile and sturdy. What we haven't seen yet from him that I have seen of him in the AHL, is his ability to rush the puck. To be honest, that is the skill that stood out the most for me at the AHL level, because in the games that I watched of him in CP he didn't throw quite as many hits as he has on the big stage. The good news is, there could be some additional upside there from a zone-entry standpoint.

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I think the pairing stay as we played so well last game. Though I could see Jordie swapping in for Nemeth. Get Jordie up to speed before we play stronger teams.though that means breaking up some pairs that worked nicely last game because Jordie won't play with kling and is probably the most comfortable on his off side

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I assume he's keeping it simple instead of freestylin' and hotdoggin' because he wants to keep his place, and also because the team already has more than enough offense.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I assume he's keeping it simple instead of freestylin' and hotdoggin' because he wants to keep his place, and also because the team already has more than enough offense.

The reviews I heard about Johns in Texas were more glowing than some here, but there could be a correlation between less ice and fewer mistakes. There often is for young D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad