Confirmed with Link: Stephen Johns signs 2-year 1-way contract extension (725k AAV)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Good stuff. Liking what I've seen so far from him

So next year we have Klingberg, Oduya, Johns and Nemeth signed. I'm one of Demers, Gogo and Rusty will be resigned

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He looked great last night, and has definitely been serviceable in his other starts. Don't think he'll be elite by any means, but he's certainly an NHLer and I'm glad to have him back.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Wondering what this mean for Lindell and Honka as they won't play in the AHL forever.

It means nothing for Lindell if we don't resign Goose or Russell.

Honka is 20...he still had to wait his turn, but if we don't resign Demers or Jordie, he could still crack the roster next year if we have injuries. He's still waiver exempt next year. No worries there.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd be surprised if Nill doesn't let Honka simmer. No reason not to, and its what Detroit did for years.

Lindell probably replaces whoever we let go of Russell and Goligoski.

Johns is the #3 RHD if we bring back Demers, #2 if we don't. I think its safe to say he's secured a spot.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill does seem to look at things long term. So, he seemed to have decided that Kevin had little more upside than what he had shown, whereas Johns and Lindell (and later Honka) still have upside.

When he knows/strongly thinks he is right about a player, he signs them, a la Klingerg and Johns. If he doesn't like a players future, he gives them the one year deal, a la Campbell, Oleksiak, and Dillon, and they are let go or traded for something useful if possible (I think the Demers swap was a bigger thievery than the Seguin deal, really)

It looks to me like when he realized there were no Hedman type D available in trade (and why would there be?) he was going to grow his own D core, and Johns was a bigger part of that deal than Sharp. We took Sharp's contact because we could, and we really wanted Johns. Given Nill's talent evaluation skills, I am not sure John's won't be elite, or very near it. If that's true, and the Stars win the Cup any time soon, then dealing two near zero value parts you wanted to be rid of (and so did Chicago when they got them, although both are doing better now) for a short term scorer and long term shut down D will be looked back as one of the key moves in Nill building a winner.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Stephen Johns (#Stars)
2 yr extension @ $725,000 cap hit
2016: $650,000
2017: $800,000

Sweetheart

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That's a lot cheaper than I expected, wow.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Stephen Johns (#Stars)
2 yr extension @ $725,000 cap hit
2016: $650,000
2017: $800,000

Sweetheart

Imagine the cost savings he will get vs. Demers if he can establish a 2nd pairing role!

Even if resigned the next time around he won't make near Demers UFA money.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Wow is right. Nill has some contracts where he gets bottom dollar and then some where we figure he over pays, like Eakin. Klinger seemed about right.

With Johns, Lindell, Klinger, Nemeth and the vet Oduya holding down the fort next year, all we need is one of our 4 UFA to sign, among Goli, Russell, Demers and Benn. I guess Oleksiak could resign, but I think they trade him for a 7th at the draft (maybe something earlier, but in next year's draft.

I guess only Lindell and Johns would be considered "green" since Nemeth has been here a few years and Klinger is, well, Klinger, already a top flight D man.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Fantastic contract. As long as he doesn't fall off a cliff, our D can be pretty solid next year.

This contract gives us more cap space to sign a more experienced top pairing guy to replace Goligoski.

It also gives us the cap-space to upgrade Jordie.

We'd have A TON of cap-space if we hadn't brought on Russell...assuming that we resign him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
There is one guy in FA that meets that bill, which is Yandle. And he'll probably be getting 7M this offseason.

We didn't lose or gain any cap space by acquiring Russell. If we re-sign him, that's three NHL quality LHDs - Russell, Oduya, and Lindell.

We've got three of the five best UFA defenders on the team right now. Yandle, Goligoski, Demers, Hamhuis, and Russell. If we can bring back two of them, that's a pretty big win for us this offseason.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This contract gives us more cap space to sign a more experienced top pairing guy to replace Goligoski.

It also gives us the cap-space to upgrade Jordie.

We'd have A TON of cap-space if we hadn't brought on Russell...assuming that we resign him.

Actually it doesn't change very much at all. Johns was never going to get more than the 2x900k deals Nemeth and Jokipakka signed, this only saves 175k over that deal. Now we have closer to 8m + the cap increase to retain two of Russell, Demers, and Goligoski, which is about how it was before.

If we spend 20.75m on defense next season like we are now, that gives us:
Russell/Goligoski - Klingberg 4.25
Oduya 3.75 - Demers
Lindell .75 - Johns .75

The two UFAs sign for 10m total for a total of 19.25m. Then sign Jordie or keep Nemeth with the leftover 1.5m as the #7. I doubt we'll carry 8 d again but we could do.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We didn't lose or gain any cap space by acquiring Russell. If we re-sign him, that's three NHL quality LHDs - Russell, Oduya, and Lindell.

Jokipakka was what? $1.1 Mill? Russell is going to be what? $4-5 Mill. We absolutely gave up cap space in getting Russell.

Lindell a "quality NHL LHD"...he's played 4 games and did nothing of any consequence. Let's not christen him quite yet. I think he'll be ok, not great...but he will be a rookie, and you can hardly ever bank on a rookie.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jokipakka was what? $1.1 Mill? Russell is going to be what? $4-5 Mill. We absolutely gave up cap space in getting Russell.

Lindell a "quality NHL LHD"...he's played 4 games and did nothing of any consequence. Let's not christen him quite yet. I think he'll be ok, not great...but he will be a rookie, and you can hardly ever bank on a rookie.

And Russell is a significant improvement over Jokipakka, that's been clear as day in all but one game.

If we're that pent up on cap space, then Nemeth and Oleksiak will be around that same price, and if you think Jokipakka would've been fine, then so are they.

Considering his play in the AHL and what we've heard, along with the small sample size in the NHL, I think its safe to say he'll be a serviceable bottom pairing defender already. At worst at the same level as JJ/Nemeth/Oleksiak.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
All the signs point to Lindell being in the NHL next season, and in Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Benn we have cheap insurance policies if he struggles.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think you want Jordie's first game back to be against Domi and Duclair. The Coyotes are prone to gooning it up a bit, which is another plus for Johns/Nemeth.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, but you don't want his first game back, getting up to speed, against a fast Chicago team either. Think Jordie handles the rough stuff better than the talent stuff, no?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, but you don't want his first game back, getting up to speed, against a fast Chicago team either. Think Jordie handles the rough stuff better than the talent stuff, no?

So stick with the hot group until they give you a reason to make a change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad