Value of: Stepan to the Sabres

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Let's just conveniently ignore the fact that Arizona got Raanta too. Who has been a great starter for them and is relatively young. Sucks for them that's he's out the rest of the season.
They also gave up Anthony DeAngelo who has in many NYR fans' eyes been our best defenceman this season. I'm on the fence myself whether that's has been the case or not, but I have always loved his upside and was psyched when we got him in the deal.

Reactions: Lays

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I get okposo is a cap dump. It is a lot of term and $. Is he a serviceable RW still? Is he physical at all? How is his skating? I have only seen a few Sabres games and don't recall if he even played.

Would think the St. Louis pick would have to be on the table.

And Hawerchuk was awesome.

He's been good 5-on-5, gets in on the forecheck and takes the man to create loose pucks. My only issue with him is his decision making on PP1 which is a smidge slow for my liking. He's rebounded nicely from that near-death experience.

How is it possible that the Sabres need cap room to add Stepan with that roster?

Having Moulson's albatros deal still in the minors is a biggie ($5 million). Then having graciously taken crap, err cap dumps from the Blues in the form of Sobotka and Berglund to the tune of another $7.3M? It makes it difficult to make a move.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
Stepan is fine but would require moving prospects and picks which the Sabres absolutely shouldn't be doing.

If Buffalo adds another C it won't be in exchange of high end picks and prospects, the Sabres just can't afford to make that mistake again.

If Arizona is interested in Okposo, Nylander and a non 1st or another prospect, then sure, but if they want 1sts (especially the Blues pick) then Buffalo should look elsewhere.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Stepan is fine but would require moving prospects and picks which the Sabres absolutely shouldn't be doing.

If Buffalo adds another C it won't be in exchange of high end picks and prospects, the Sabres just can't afford to make that mistake again.

If Arizona is interested in Okposo, Nylander and a non 1st or another prospect, then sure, but if they want 1sts (especially the Blues pick) then Buffalo should look elsewhere.

Think that makes it an easy no thanks from the Coyotes then (this fan at least). The only reason I entertained trading Stepan was to jump back into rebuild mode and add more first round picks. Buffalo has three of them and are rumoured to be interested in a C.

Aavvaa

Jul 2, 2018
Think that makes it an easy no thanks from the Coyotes then (this fan at least). The only reason I entertained trading Stepan was to jump back into rebuild mode and add more first round picks. Buffalo has three of them and are rumoured to be interested in a C.
I don't expect Arizona to be interested, and Buffalo isn't rumoured to be doing anything.

Stepan is a fine player than would fit really well in Buffalo, but the Sabres need to take advantage of having four fists rounders in the next two drafts. Those picks could give us serious skill for cheap on ELC's while Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Skinner,etc.. are all making big money. Competing with Toronto, Boston and Tampa is going to be incredibly difficult for the Sabres, and trading away prospects and picks NOW for a guy like Stepan who realistically doesn't move the needle for us, is shortsighted and ignores that Buffalo's window won't actually open for at least another year or two.

These two teams just don't make sense as partners for Stepan.

Reactions: coastal and Heldig

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Mittlestadt is being groomed to be the 2C. Here’s the thing... Phil has him focused on learning the defensive game. He knows the offense is there and will come out as he continues to mature, learn, and grow in confidence. As such, I don’t believe Botts has any interest in trading for a 2C.

I could see them moving on from Nylander and Guhle along with a 1st rounder or 2 in exchange for a legit 2 RHD to put with Dahlin or a legit RW to put with Mittlestadt.

Outside of that, I don’t see Botts making any big moves.

Reactions: Mitts888

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have to believe Arizona won't trade Stepan unless they get 75% of the value back they gave up for him(and that is before factoring in cap dumps)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad