Value of: Stepan to the Sabres

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Honestly don’t know the value of Stepan but he would certainly fill our 2C role.
We would need to send money back in the forms of a retained Okposo (20%).
We have the SJ 1st which could be the sweetener as well as Brendan Guhle who was our #1 D prospect before Dahlin.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Great fit, IMO. So tough to gauge the value of players in Arizona though.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
I would say any deal involving Stepan would be something closer to the deadline. Arizona is sitting right on the edge of buying or selling, and need more time to see where they will truly be at.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Honestly don’t know the value of Stepan but he would certainly fill our 2C role.
We would need to send money back in the forms of a retained Okposo (20%).
We have the SJ 1st which could be the sweetener as well as Brendan Guhle who was our #1 D prospect before Dahlin.

Well I'm glad to see you're not just offering scraps. Okposo, a 1st rounder, and a good prospect is nothing to scoff at.

But I think Stepan is too important for Arizona to liquidate him. All of the moves Chayka has made are win-now type moves, and Stepan is their de facto #1C. He can't just be traded without someone else coming in to fill his slot on the roster. He has 2 years left at a decent cap-hit. They'll probably be happy to keep him for that term unless they find a way to land a better C first.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well I'm glad to see you're not just offering scraps. Okposo, a 1st rounder, and a good prospect is nothing to scoff at.

But I think Stepan is too important for Arizona to liquidate him. All of the moves Chayka has made are win-now type moves, and Stepan is their de facto #1C. He can't just be traded without someone else coming in to fill his slot on the roster. He has 2 years left at a decent cap-hit. They'll probably be happy to keep him for that term unless they find a way to land a better C first.
Stepan is the #2C.
He is important to the team but certainly available. Coyotes have been destroyed by injuries this season. Win now has changed to continue rebuilding. They are good defensively with very good goaltending but cannot score. Improving the offense is paramount. Do not think okposo is much help in that regard.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Stepan is the #2C.
He is important to the team but certainly available. Coyotes have been destroyed by injuries this season. Win now has changed to continue rebuilding. They are good defensively with very good goaltending but cannot score. Improving the offense is paramount. Do not think okposo is much help in that regard.
Okposo is a cap dump. Sabres cant take on Stepan without shedding salary. Its Okposo or Moulson. I guess Moulson would be better for the Coyotes.

On a side note Hawerchuk was my favorite player growing up and I have a signed Hawerchuk Jets Jersey. It is how I became a sabres fan.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Okposo is a cap dump. Sabres cant take on Stepan without shedding salary. Its Okposo or Moulson. I guess Moulson would be better for the Coyotes.

On a side note Hawerchuk was my favorite player growing up and I have a signed Hawerchuk Jets Jersey. It is how I became a sabres fan.
I get okposo is a cap dump. It is a lot of term and $. Is he a serviceable RW still? Is he physical at all? How is his skating? I have only seen a few Sabres games and don't recall if he even played.

Would think the St. Louis pick would have to be on the table.

And Hawerchuk was awesome.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I get okposo is a cap dump. It is a lot of term and $. Is he a serviceable RW still? Is he physical at all? How is his skating? I have only seen a few Sabres games and don't recall if he even played.

A 1st and Nylander is an overpayment for Stepan to take Okposo. Moulson has 1 year left at 4m and is out of the NHL.

I am not sure Arizona can even afford a cap dump. Okposo is good for 12-15 goals and 40 points can play the powerplay

Also I don't see the sabres trading Nylander.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

He's absolutely still a serviceable player, good for 40-50 points, just overpaid. The real worry with his contract is a couple years down the road when his production likely declines and he still carries that $6M cap hit. Especially for Sabres fans, knowing we're gonna have Dahlin and Mittelstadt coming off their ELCs and Reinhart coming off his bridge.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A 1st and Nylander is an overpayment for Stepan to take Okposo. Moulson has 1 year left at 4m and is out of the NHL.

I am not sure Arizona can even afford a cap dump. Okposo is good for 12-15 goals and 40 points can play the powerplay

Also I don't see the sabres trading Nylander.
Actually, I was thinking Okposoa (maximum retained) and the St Louis 1st.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What terrible asset management. They paid the 7th OA pick for him did they not? For him to have basically no impact on them even getting out of the basement and then be sold for pennies on the dollar of what they paid for him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What terrible asset management. They paid the 7th OA pick for him did they not? For him to have basically no impact on them even getting out of the basement and then be sold for pennies on the dollar of what they paid for him.
aka sunk cost

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yup. Bad draft choices/bad luck/poor development have really derailed the ill-fated attempt to get competitive right away. In hindsight they needed to stay the path of the rebuild. Now with the injuries piling up it feels like this season is a lost cause despite being one of the better defensive (goals against) teams. Sad fans are struggling with how to fix it (discussion of stealing Matthews with an offer sheet aside).

Of course, this thread means jack with what the team is thinking. I have no idea if Stepan (or any other player for that matter) are on the trade block.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And to think they could have Lias Andersson

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The fact that Okposo’s very generous signing bonus for this season has been paid, and that he deal back dives significantly makes him an attractive option (given considerable retention).

To BUF:
Stepan
Panik (50% retained)

To ARI:
Sheary
Okposo (25% retained)
Picks/prospects (???)
Prospects/picks (???)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How is it possible that the Sabres need cap room to add Stepan with that roster?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Let's just conveniently ignore the fact that Arizona got Raanta too. Who has been a great starter for them and is relatively young. Sucks for them that's he's out the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad