Speculation: Stepan on the outs in Ottawa already?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
That's actually a really solid idea. Both Dub and Stepan's contracts expire at the end of the year, Dubinsky is on IR, so he wouldn't cost, and Step would give Columbus a center to help fill the gap from PLD (and Stepan's best years came under Torts).

As a Rangers fan, I'd offer Strome for Stepan (either with retention to even up the salaries or with a pick). It offers the Rangers a shorter-term place-holder for that 2C spot and also a veteran PK center, which we could really use.
My joke thought is they swap ADA and Stepan just bc ADA obv had the locker room blow up and stepan reportedly is feuding with the coach.

(Very tenuous string)

But I guarantee you we would HATE current Stepan. We were starting to before we traded him away bc of how bad he was getting

Reactions: smoneil

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I heard one Ranger fan describe him as “cooked” when the trade was made.

He was not really "cooked" when that trade was made but the decline was certainly there.

'round 2019 he was pretty cooked though. We were tired of him for a long time before he was traded. Didn't seem like a good influence on the room, didn't put up points, didn't play as hard as he could have.

Reactions: BHD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stepan for DeAngelo?
No b'c the guy could barely skate when we dealt him and he must be super slow by now.

However, taking into account all factors, a $ deal may work:
Deangelo 4.8 x 2 + Smith at half 2.175 = 6.975 + OTT 2021 4th
for
Stepan 6.5 expiring + OTT 2021 2nd

rationale:
Smith skates enuf to be serviceable
Deangelo's game has holes but he is talented

Stepan does not fit into NYR pivot corps.
Unless moved with retention, he would sit most games.

something like dat.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
No b'c the guy could barely skate when we dealt him and he must be super slow by now.

for

rationale:

something like dat.

Stepan is washed but still probably better than Howden, Rooney, Blackwell, etc. Anyway the point of the deal for NYR would just be to dump DeAngelo and walk from Stepan's expiring contract at season's end. Ottawa gets a defenseman other than Chabot who can make a pass.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Ottawa paying a second for Stephan after the season he had and the cap hit he carries is indefensible. Just this offseason Paul Sastny went for a 4th, Ryan Murray went for a 5th, Erick Haula signed for 1.750/1, Carl Soderburg signed for 1.000/1. There was plenty of options to bring in vets for either less money, lower picks, or both and they choose Stephan who everyone could see was cooked

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
My joke thought is they swap ADA and Stepan just bc ADA obv had the locker room blow up and stepan reportedly is feuding with the coach.

(Very tenuous string)

But I guarantee you we would HATE current Stepan. We were starting to before we traded him away bc of how bad he was getting

Yeah, but we HATE current Strome. And Stepan's contract is over at the end of the season. It halves the length of the hate.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stepan is washed but still probably better than Howden, Rooney, Blackwell, etc. Anyway the point of the deal for NYR would just be to dump DeAngelo and walk from Stepan's expiring contract at season's end. Ottawa gets a defenseman other than Chabot who can make a pass.

doubt the bold
Those guys can skate
Doubt Stepan can any longer

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
QuaintJampackedCivet-small.gif

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Ottawa will probably have another firesale come the deadline.

Stepan probably heads to a contender in need of depth.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa can retain the max on this player,as cap space is the only thing we dont have a problem with

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

for

rationale:

something like dat.
Ottawa fans I apologize, this man does not speak for HF NYR

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It happens, they were probably going to shop him before the deadline at any rate. Might just be accelerated now if it's becoming a distraction. Bad news for all those people who bought Stepan Sens jerseys.

Who the f*** bought a Stepan Sens Jersey?

That's just bad money management.

EDIT: late to the party.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
doubt the bold
Those guys can skate
Doubt Stepan can any longer
The playoffs showed he can still skate. He just has to want to. And he doesn't. Extremely low motor guy in AZ. Just did not seem to give a #. He's a fine placeholder for a veteran team; didn't like having him around the youth. He's a decent playmaker still and reasonably sound positionally. He's just turned into a floater. I think he could turn it around in a different environment (playing games that matter in a room with strong leadership). Aren't many veteran teams that have $6M in capspace or a way to make it for this player... Even at 50%, it'll have to be a creative deal.

Still shocked we got a second for him before the deadline and without retention.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Chiasson and a 3rd for Stepan 50% retained.

Not sure if that when works cap wise, Ottawa should probably hold out and see if they could do better but that's about as high as I'd go.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

for

rationale:

something like dat.
Pick on the wrong side

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Not that I don't believe this story could be true....this is Kypreos after all. He has absolutely no connections to Ottawa and historically loves to rag on the franchise.

Reactions: Yak

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

Rooney and Blackwell have carried this Rangers team this season and Howden got the team hat for the last Rangers win. In a vacuum you're not wrong but those guys are probably as popular with Quinn as can be.

Reactions: bernmeister

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, try Eriksson for Stepan...crap for crap but at least you give both of them another shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad