Speculation: Stepan on the outs in Ottawa already?

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Thought I would bring this back. Let's get Stepan back to the US.
Would the Blue Jackets be interested with Koivu retiring?
Ottawa will retain 50%

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Im sure somebody else already mentioned this, but Elliotte Friedman and Chris Johnson reported that it was family issues for why Stepan wanted out. I didnt hear anything about Stepan and/or the coach not liking each other.

With that said, I dont know who would trade for him at his cap hit. The Arizona Coyotes somehow got a 2nd for him despite his play falling off a cliff last year. Even with the maximum 50% retention the Senators will not get what they paid for him. If they are lucky they will probably get a 3rd and/or a meh prospect maximum.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Im sure somebody else already mentioned this, but Elliotte Friedman and Chris Johnson reported that it was family issues for why Stepan wanted out. I didnt hear anything about Stepan and/or the coach not liking each other.

With that said, I dont know who would trade for him at his cap hit. The Arizona Coyotes somehow got a 2nd for him despite his play falling off a cliff last year. Even with the maximum 50% retention the Senators will not get what they paid for him. If they are lucky they will probably get a 3rd and/or a meh prospect maximum.
I'd be happy with a 3rd or even a 4th. Getting him off the team makes room for Formenton/Logan Brown to make their long awaiting entrances.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
An aging veteran, going downhill fast, with a large cap hit, on the last year of his deal, and has been dealt twice during his last contract

No wonder if he feels his place on the team is nothing permanent, that he's only playing a few weeks before he gets traded again at the deadline

Let's see if he can find motivation to play this season

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Thought I would bring this back. Let's get Stepan back to the US.
Would the Blue Jackets be interested with Koivu retiring?
Ottawa will retain 50%

Blue Jackets already have a gazillion bottom/middle 6 guys

All they need is first line players. Stepan is not a first line player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->