Speculation: Step Back

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I know this may seem like a knee jerk reaction to a bad stretch of hockey but is anybody else of the opinion that the Leafs should be sellers this TDL so that we can move forward next year and for the next 5-10. Furthermore some major changes should be made this offseason to further this change in personnel. I just don’t think we are a good enough team to compete with the TB, Boston, Nashville, Jets, Vegas, etc. as currently constructed.

Personally these players should be moved at the TDL:
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Brown
Ennis
Lindholm

This offseason
Nylander
Marleau

I’m not suggesting we just dump players for the sake of it but if a trade will make us better in the long run (Blue chip or youngish player with upside) I would like our management to worry less about us reaching the playoffs but making us a true contender moving forward.

Thoughts?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Likely scenario is we move some of your column A. But obtain roster players to replace.

(Not that they are in the same deal)

Something like:

Zaitsev OUT
Faulk IN

----
Brown OUT
Ritchie IN

----

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Let's add a dman sooner than later and see where it gets us. Maybe move Brown and Lindholm/Goat out and add a Simmonds, Maroon, Ferland, Ritchie, Crouse and recall Moore.

Simmonds/Ferland Matty Nylander
Hyman JT Marner
AJ Kadri Kappy
Marleau Par/Goat Moore/Ennis

They won't be sellers unless Dubas drives the 18 wheeler off the cliff in the next month.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
there was no selling last season. No way the Leafs sell this season. especially with cap room. That being said I don't think we win the Cup either. Leafs are one dimensional.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I know this may seem like a knee jerk reaction to a bad stretch of hockey but is anybody else of the opinion that the Leafs should be sellers this TDL so that we can move forward next year and for the next 5-10. Furthermore some major changes should be made this offseason to further this change in personnel. I just don’t think we are a good enough team to compete with the TB, Boston, Nashville, Jets, Vegas, etc. as currently constructed.

Gardiner
Zaitsev
Brown
Ennis
Lindholm

This offseason
Nylander
Marleau

I’m not suggesting we just dump players for the sake of it but if a trade will make us better in the long run (Blue chip or youngish player with upside) I would like our management to worry less about us reaching the playoffs but making us a true contender moving forward.

Thoughts?
this will never happen nor should it, but all players mentioned I'm ok with trading. Marleau won't be moving, and I respect that regardless of how his game has fell off. The dream would be the "Orpik" move, free up a ton of cap space and Patty could actually end up with more money, but I doubt it'd happen, the optics aren't good for the player or team. NHL will most likely axe this loop hole going forward.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Leafs won't be sellers.

At this point playoff experience is worth more than a slightly higher draft pick.

Gards will leave via FA
Brown will get moved for cap relief and a mid round draft pick or prospect.
We will be stuck with Zaits
Marleau has a NM clause and won't agree to be traded. I agree with Rumman above the Orpik loophole won't work for Marleau even though I used to think it was an option.

Lindholm and Ennis are both cheap, serviceable 4th line players. Probably stay, maybe Ennis gets a shot on another team.

Nylander remains a tradable contract after July 1 but his trade value is extremely low now. Like 40 cents on the dollar.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Brown
Ennis
Lindholm

This offseason
Nylander
Marleau

Players not worth trading:
Brown, Ennis, Lindholm.

Gardiner trade would give up trying to win a series this year. The players will be mad.

Zaitsev is not tradeable by himself.

Nylander is pure trade bait on a trade bait contract. July 1st I hope i get news. I was sad he didn't get traded this year. I'm sure Dubas tried and nobody offered much. Carolina ?

Marleau could be going to a cap floor team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This thread is a joke, right? WE're going to be sellers with our record? Do you know how much fans pay for tickets?

Reactions: Liminality

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A notable change from last season to this season is the Atlantic Division being much more competitive. The trade deadline is still far enough away that I wouldn't be looking to be sellers unless the team falls to wild card level, or more likely, out of a playoff spot. Can't really see that becoming a reality.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As a person who has watched the NHL for decades, I am shocked people can say the Leafs should give up and have no chance. LOL. The Montreal Canadians could come out of the East right now in the last playoff spot with how Price is playing.
Unbelievable.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
This thread is a joke, right? WE're going to be sellers with our record? Do you know how much fans pay for tickets?

You watch the Raptors the past 3/4 years, great regular season followed by absolute disastrous playoffs. This team isn’t good enough and the problem is most the the TML fans in this city are unwilling to admit it. We are going to be a good team that never wins anything but puts up a hundy spot in points in the regular season and is one and done.

I bleed blue and white like everybody who follows this team but I am pragmatic about our chances of winning a SC with the team as it’s constructed. We have some great pieces but our D is bottom third IMO and if weren’t for FA we would be a bubble team. Those players listed are not core pieces-sure you will come back with Nylander is but given our upcoming cap crunch and the emergence of both Kapanen and Johnsson I think trading Nylander for D help would be our best move.

Reactions: mclaren55

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This does seem ludicrous until the Leaf go into one of there 2nd half "truck off the cliff" losing streaks, stranger things have happened. The way this seasons going I wouldn't be a bit surprised. :sarcasm:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Boston and Montreal needs to sell. Their team as it is right now wont win a cup.

Reactions: egd27

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not advocating we go in that direction and miss the playoffs but if you look at the very big picture across a 10 year period of contention, a step back year has some benefits. Look at Nashville and Tampa the year they had top five picks while being good teams, look at Winnipeg scooping up Laine out of the blue, etc.

It allows your team to scoop up a bonus lottery pick, trade veteran surplus for picks and prospects you otherwise would have held onto, and suppresses salary demands, so in the long run you could be a lot stronger.

In any case it's a work in progress. Whatever trades we make just have to bring back value and whatever contracts we sign can't cripple future growth and upgrades. That's my only criteria. With the core group in place and so young, I'm willing to be patient.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So yesterday there is talk during the second intermission that the Leafs are willing to trade not just their 1st but Lilijgren to get that top 4 RHD. Unless the player coming back is Trouba or Parayko this is just gonna be bad asset Management. At least the word is Kap is off the table.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
So yesterday there is talk during the second intermission that the Leafs are willing to trade not just their 1st but Lilijgren to get that top 4 RHD. Unless the player coming back is Trouba or Parayko this is just gonna be bad asset Management. At least the word is Kap is off the table.
I would assume (hope is probably the better word) that if it's the first and Lilly that it would have to be someone significant coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00