Waived: Stefan Elliott

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It doesn't matter. He's probably never going to turn into anything here. He didn't even get any PP time in pre-season.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I personally hope for him that someone picks him up. It's pretty clear to me that Elliott will never have a place on this team. He was given a ton of opportunities over the years, and has never really ran with it. I think the best thing for his career would be to go to another organization, that could use an offensive guy, with little to no defensive skills.

I just don't think he'll ever amount to what some people in here had hoped, he just doesn't have the right tool set to be a NHL level dman, I think he should be looked at as a forward much like Brent Burns for SJ, that might help his NHL career.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
According to our own RS, Elliott has been placed on waivers. Hope this is not the end for Stefan with our organization.

Whether it is or it isn't, I suspect we're not going to see him play any significant number of NHL games with our team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With the weak showing this preseason and the last couple years, I would guess he will pass through. If he doesn't, he will get waived by the team that picks him up within the first 20 games.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Let him stay in LE for another year. THEN he'll be ready.

*shakes in corner of room*

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's unfortunate. Several years ago, I thought he'd do big things for the Avs. Thank God barrie worked out and too bad we couldn't get any return for Elliott. I guess he could always clear, but I'd bet someone will take a shot with him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It will always boggle my mind why this guy didn't go the college route instead, especially with the problems he has to gain weight. Something it seems Brandon Hickey has learn.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
How would college have helped with the weight issue? LE just too busy to incorporate a major workout program?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How would college have helped with the weight issue? LE just too busy to incorporate a major workout program?

Less games and more time to concentrate on training. Elliott is one of the very few instances where I think college is better than major junior for player development.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's pretty much proven that the college route produces better two-way and more physically mature players over juniors.

Shattenkirk, EJ, and Toews are perfect examples of this. Even if two of the players only played one college season. Other players, Wheeler, Turris, McDonagh, Keith, Okposo, van Riemsdyk, etc.

Gostisbehere is someone I think Elliott could have developed into if he decided to go to college instead IMO.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It will always boggle my mind why this guy didn't go the college route instead, especially with the problems he has to gain weight. Something it seems Brandon Hickey has learn.

Sure there's a possiblity of things being different but really, "it boggles your mind"?
The road to the NHL is a pretty set direction for Canadian kids. You get drafted to the CHL, you get drafted the NHL, you hope to make the jump from CHL to NHL anad if not you play AHL in between. There are some cases where talented Canadians take the college route but for the most part they do exactly what Stefan did. It really isn't mind boggling.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sure there's a possiblity of things being different but really, "it boggles your mind"?
The road to the NHL is a pretty set direction for Canadian kids. You get drafted to the CHL, you get drafted the NHL, you hope to make the jump from CHL to NHL anad if not you play AHL in between. There are some cases where talented Canadians take the college route but for the most part they do exactly what Stefan did. It really isn't mind boggling.

Don't worry Kento, I follow the Dub. I know what you're saying. BUT you're looking it at a traditional standpoint, I'm looking it at a logical standpoint. Brandon Hickey is a perfect example of knowing his weaknesses and what is the better for his game. Elliott didn't and the reason why he's being waived again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's pretty much proven that the college route produces better two-way and more physically mature players over juniors.

Not sure I agree on the two-way part, but players are usually closer to being ready and more physically mature.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure I agree on the two-way part, but players are usually closer to being ready and more physically mature.
Oh trust me Hench, I'm not saying that college route is better. There are a number of great two-way players that have come from CHL; Getzlaf, Seabrook, Chara, Perry, Crosby, etc. But I was talking more about 2nd, 3rd, and 4th liners. IMO you're better off going to college if you're a 169 lbs defenseman drafted in the fourth round than 6'3" star like Johansen. That is my two cents on it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm surprised he didn't have a better camp. It was his last shot. Don't see him getting picked up, but I don't know the waiver eligible situation with the D that other young teams have. Maybe they can fit him in, and figure they'll give him a shot and send someone else down.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
This really sucks.

After all, I am a bit surprised that even through the years of "re-building", the Avs couldn't offer him more NHL minutes, even if only on the PP and on offensive zone starts.
Maybe it's just me, and I'm definitely not an expert or anything, but I think he might have gotten used to the level and physicality.

Glad Barrie worked out, those two were my favourite Avs prospects to follow over the last years.

Good luck, Stefan (no matter where he ends up).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's been in the WHL two seasons and a NHL/AHL pro for three seasons since being drafted. That's five summers to add bulk. At some point it's up to the guy to make it happen for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad