Recalled/Assigned: Stefan Elliott recalled

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like how our '3rd line' is the weakest defensively out of all 4, when conventionally it's suppose to be the checking line. :laugh: I'd rather see Pajamas over Mitchell or Jones with Staz. He hustles his ass off and actually helps create offense with Stastny.

It was just more of a depth chart than a breakdown of how I would actually do the lines.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This isn't exactly how it works though. Barkov is a C. It's not like a video game where a team will just put the kid on left wing because he's a lefty. Is it the right move for his development? Is it the best fit for his playing style? Is he comfortable there? Etc, etc.

Same goes for MacKinnon. He's a C. Can he play wing? Probably. But the same questions from above can be asked here.

I seem to recall a number of times that Mac has played RW and done well. It isn't ideal, but a year on RW then playing C the following year (assuming one of ROR or Stastny is gone at that point) wouldn't kill his development IMO. A number of players have done the same through the years.

If Barkov or Mac are drafted, then the writing is simply on the wall that one of ROR or Stastny is gone. So long-term, it isn't an issue at all.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think our depth issues are as big as you say they are.

I still love the depth of our FW group. For next year, if Hejduk retires, you can essentially slide Downie in to replace him...leaving us with a very balanced group that would look something like:

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Mitchell - Stastny - Jones
McLeod - Malone - Bordeleau

Ex. Olver and others.....give or take a name or two.

I think a guy like Malone has proven himself he can be a valuable depth guy now, same can be said for Olver.
But what about beyond next year? Downie, Stastny, and Mitchell will be UFA's next summer (good riddance to Mitchell) and if we're trading Sgarbosa, do we have any young forwards to make the jump? I don't see any, given Hishon's concussion issues. I think Jones will bounce back, but who knows if the Avs will try to get out of that contract.

Seth Jones looks like a great prospect, but he won't fix the defense by himself and he's going to have growing pains himself. I don't see a reason to give up out first, Sgarbosa, and another pick to move up a spot or two. The other players available could help this team immensely too.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I seem to recall a number of times that Mac has played RW and done well. It isn't ideal, but a year on RW then playing C the following year (assuming one of ROR or Stastny is gone at that point) wouldn't kill his development IMO. A number of players have done the same through the years.

If Barkov or Mac are drafted, then the writing is simply on the wall that one of ROR or Stastny is gone. So long-term, it isn't an issue at all.

I'm just saying that it's not like a video game where you can plug guys into positions that aren't their natural ones, and expect them to play up to their potential. That's a dangerous thing to start trying to do...and unless the player has elite hockey sense, it could be a rough transition.

The jump to the NHL is hard enough, let alone having top 3 overall hype and expectations, PLUS playing out of your position.

It's not a precedent that this team should start. That's all.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Barkov in particular doesn't have a skillset suitable to playing wing at all. If that was necessary for a year I would honestly he rather played in the AHL until space was made for him.

Mackinnon would probably fine there for a season, even from a developmental perspective, especially since there'd inevitably be periods where he'd get to slot in at C due to injury.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm just saying that it's not like a video game where you can plug guys into positions that aren't their natural ones, and expect them to play up to their potential. That's a dangerous thing to start trying to do...and unless the player has elite hockey sense, it could be a rough transition.

The jump to the NHL is hard enough, let alone having top 3 overall hype and expectations, PLUS playing out of your position.

It's not a precedent that this team should start. That's all.

At worst it would be for ~60 games until the trade deadline next season and that assumes there are no injuries. Philly has done this for years with their centers. Montreal is doing it will Gally. I'll agree totally that it isn't ideal, but it isn't the worst thing to do to a player.

If the choice is play Mac on RW to start the season or leave him in the Q, I will choose RW in the NHL every single time.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
But what about beyond next year? Downie, Stastny, and Mitchell will be UFA's next summer (good riddance to Mitchell) and if we're trading Sgarbosa, do we have any young forwards to make the jump? I don't see any, given Hishon's concussion issues. I think Jones will bounce back, but who knows if the Avs will try to get out of that contract.

Seth Jones looks like a great prospect, but he won't fix the defense by himself and he's going to have growing pains himself. I don't see a reason to give up out first, Sgarbosa, and another pick to move up a spot or two. The other players available could help this team immensely too.

That's pretty far to look into the future, but I do get your point. Overall I think Jones is just too good to pass on that kind of a deal. If a player like Sgarbossa and the team's 'lack of F depth' is the thing holding you back, you're in worse shape than anyone knows.

Is our prospect depth up front anything special? Hell no. But at the end of the day I am very pleased with key guys up front, who are young and proven NHLers. Many teams would be pretty jealous of our forward group with or without Sgarbossa.

For me, I re-signing Downie, so that's not an issue. Who knows about Stastny. If he is traded, I'm sure you would net a capable D first and foremost with a capable depth F also being part of the return. If not, signing a bottom 6 winger is pretty easy. Sure, it's nice to keep all of our prospects but I don't think Sgarbossa is going to be the key to our future. I mean, I think if we're lucky he ends up on a McGinn or Jones level of NHL player.

I think in 18 months time guys like Connolly, Heard could be possibly bottom line players for us, who knows. And who knows about players like Condon, Walker, Meurs, Carey, Nermark etc etc could be by that time. Development of players like them is an in-exact science. And that doesn't even include Hishon. He could be healthy, he might not be even playing hockey anymore.

At the end of the day, I think we're in pretty good shape even if we don't have guys like Stastny or Downie. I don't think the team will just let Stastny walk for nothing. They'll either trade him or re-sign him to a cheaper deal.

At worst it would be for ~60 games until the trade deadline next season and that assumes there are no injuries. Philly has done this for years with their centers. Montreal is doing it will Gally. I'll agree totally that it isn't ideal, but it isn't the worst thing to do to a player.

If the choice is play Mac on RW to start the season or leave him in the Q, I will choose RW in the NHL every single time.

Well, everyone has their own opinion I guess.

Last edited:

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
ROTFL no, it would be pick #2/#3 + Sgarbossa/#32 for pick #1.

If we could trade Sgarbossa + #32 for #1 I'd be all over that no question. Who knows though... Calgary likes second round players better than first round players according the last years draft. Maybe we can get #2 and #3 over all, lol.

Oh, haha.:laugh: Completely misread. Carry on.

It wouldn't be the worst deal out there though, if the Avs really thought that Jones was their guy and he could only be had at #1.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This isn't exactly how it works though. Barkov is a C. It's not like a video game where a team will just put the kid on left wing because he's a lefty. Is it the right move for his development? Is it the best fit for his playing style? Is he comfortable there? Etc, etc.

Same goes for MacKinnon. He's a C. Can he play wing? Probably. But the same questions from above can be asked here.

Absolutely, but it's not that uncommon for players that played center in junior to be moved to wing at the NHL level. It didn't work with Duchene or lets just say Duchene is more effective at center especially now that hes gotten markedly better defensively.

However wasn't Kessel a center? Same with Seguin, so it's quite possible. I think before moving Stastny we'd need to find that out. If we drafted one of Barkov or Mackinnon anyways.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Absolutely, but it's not that uncommon for players that played center in junior to be moved to wing at the NHL level. It didn't work with Duchene or lets just say Duchene is more effective at center especially now that hes gotten markedly better defensively.

However wasn't Kessel a center? Same with Seguin, so it's quite possible. I think before moving Stastny we'd need to find that out. If we drafted one of Barkov or Mackinnon anyways.

I agree with you, was just making a point.

In all honesty I think MacKinnon could be a great winger and might end up being just that. But that's up to the coaching staff, scouting staff and for MacKinnon to decide. Lot's of factors to weigh. Imagine him on a line with Duchene and Landeskog? Wow. Or even him with O'Reilly? Those two could be amazing together.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007

I would think that most NHL ready C's can play W in most situations. If they understand the game, positioning and whatnot it should not be a huge hurdle.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I agree with you, was just making a point.

In all honesty I think MacKinnon could be a great winger and might end up being just that. But that's up to the coaching staff, scouting staff and for MacKinnon to decide. Lot's of factors to weigh. Imagine him on a line with Duchene and Landeskog? Wow. Or even him with O'Reilly? Those two could be amazing together.

Ohh baby.
I've been on the Jones bandwagon for a while, but MacKinnon or Drouin next to Duchene only has the power to shock and amaze.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Mac would slot next to Duchene... PAP has that spot firmly in his grasp.

IF the Avs drafted Mac, this is how I would see the lines (unless Stastny was traded):

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Jones-Stastny-Mac
Malone-Mitchell-Bordy
Olver

That is a hell of a forward group. 7 players in the top 9 could score 50 points in an 82 game season (sans Jones and McGinn who should be good for 40+). A couple might be 60/70+.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We've all decided he's not as godawful terrible as he was in a few games earlier and have continued to support and moved on.

Yeah it's nice to see Elliott show some marked improvement defensively, and even playing with a little more confidence offensively. You can tell Barrie is leading the race but they are both showing growth now instead of just having Barrie look like the only one that can play in the NHL.

Elliott's going to be really fun to watch next year if he can gain some confidence as well as put on some weight/muscle in the off-season. Hes even started to use his body to separate guys from the puck. People forget that hes over 6'0 because of how skinny he is.

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah it's nice to see Elliott show some marked improvement defensively, and even playing with a little more confidence offensively. You can tell Barrie is leading the race but they are both showing growth now instead of just have Barrie look like the only one that can play in the NHL.

Elliott's going to be really fun to watch next year if he can gain some confidence as well as put on some weight/muscle in the off-season. Hes even started to use his body to separate guys from the puck. People forget that hes over 6'0 because of how skinny he is.

i think a lot of this recent play has to do with him finally be fully healthy. sometimes it takes a while for the mental aspect to catch up with your body being ready.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
i think a lot of this recent play has to do with him finally be fully healthy. sometimes it takes a while for the mental aspect to catch up with your body being ready.
I would say being paired with Hejda helped him a lot just as it did with Barrie.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Sure makes a difference when we have both him and Barrie in the lineup. It helps us push the puck up the ice, something that had been a strength of our club in the last couple seasons prior to this one. He showed off his wrister a few times last night, too. Good to see. Keep it up Stef.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sure makes a difference when we have both him and Barrie in the lineup. It helps us push the puck up the ice, something that had been a strength of our club in the last couple seasons prior to this one. He showed off his wrister a few times last night, too. Good to see. Keep it up Stef.

Avs are also much less passive in the defensive zone overall now. Barrie and Elliott don't have the physical ability of O'Byrne but at least they don't have the infuriating tendency to back off the blue line and then back into our goalie O'Byrne had this year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just did the breakdown. Avs are 4-4-2-1 with both Elliott and Barrie in the lineup this season. Not great, but it's definitely an upgrade compared to the rest of the season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Just did the breakdown. Avs are 4-4-2-1 with both Elliott and Barrie in the lineup this season. Not great, but it's definitely an upgrade compared to the rest of the season.

Throw in the puck moving of Wilson and Johnson too, and the Avs would at the very least be more fun to watch, if not completely better. Would hopefully lead to a little more run and gun which had some success with the Avs in the past.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My only gripe with Stefan is he doesnt seem to use his speed as much this year. Remember when he walked through the Sharks d last yr? I havent seen him try that once this year. He needs to move his feet a little more. Hes improving every game though which is a great sign.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad