steen is overrated

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The Leafs have had many overrated prospects and players, but Steen is not one of them in my books. He seems like the real deal (that is a great 2nd line player, maybe 1st).

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
underscore_boy said:
i think steen is overrated. he's good, but he is soft and doesn't have any moves. he's like jan bulis.

Watch Saturday's highlights, i agree Steen needs to toughen up a bit, and he will, but too suggest he has no moves is a bit off. I think he could be a 30 Goal guy who could approach the 75-80 point mark eventually.

Verbal Kint*

underscore_boy said:
i think steen is overrated. he's good, but he is soft and doesn't have any moves. he's like jan bulis.
Yes, yes he is.

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
I really like Steen... he needs to toughen up and improve his shot, but I think he will become a solid 2 liner and maybe a first liner. I think he'll become way better than Bulis

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Senator Stanley said:
The Leafs have had many overrated prospects and players, but Steen is not one of them in my books. He seems like the real deal (that is a great 2nd line player, maybe 1st).

agree. This guy's hands ae about 10000000% better than Bulis's.

Bulis's hands are almost as bad as Varada's.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
dont be jealous of the leafs. Steen is the real deal. let all the people be jealous of the leafs... i love it.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Senator Stanley said:
I don't think many fans are jealous of the Leafs young core.

Who knows, we do have some decent players, not some TOP NOTCH but its not utter crap like in previous years. But I understand where you are coming from.

I dunno, ya Leafs fans overrate their prospects but imo Steen isn't one of them. He's still pretty young and has way more to develop. I can see him becoming the future captain of this team down the road and developing 1st-2nd line but he's no star yet. He's had a decent rookie campaign :)

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
BeLeafer87 said:
I dunno, ya Leafs fans overrate their prospects but imo Steen isn't one of them. He's still pretty young and has way more to develop. I can see him becoming the future captain of this team down the road and developing 1st-2nd line but he's no star yet. He's had a decent rookie campaign :)

I think that is a fair assesment.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
This is Steen's first year out of Europe. Give him a chance to toughen up a little. In Europe play is much more about finesse and passing with much less of a physical style of play you have in North America. Steen's not the biggest guy, shy of 6ft and under 200 lbs, so he's not going to be an enforcer like Domi. He just needs some time to adjust to the style of play across the Atlantic. You just wait until next year, after his rookie season, before you make comments like this.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Lundqvist#30 said:
Steen's not the biggest guy, shy of 6ft and under 200 lbs, so he's not going to be an enforcer like Domi.

Domi is really big, you're right about that. If he were from the Shire.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Lundqvist#30 said:
Steen's not the biggest guy, shy of 6ft and under 200 lbs, so he's not going to be an enforcer like Domi.

Domi makes Steen look like a veritable giant, so that's probably not the best comparison. ;)

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Rand said:
Domi makes Steen look like a veritable giant, so that's probably not the best comparison. ;)

Yea, but he is over 200 lbs, theres something like a 30 lb difference. But, still bad comparison. All i'm saying is back off until next season. In the 7-0 thrashing against Buffalo, steen made a good move for the last goal to set up stajan. Give him a chance Leafs fans.

The Fuhr*

Steen is an excellent player. He should be good for 30-35 goals a season and hover around the 80 point mark for most of his career. Id love to have him on my team but not over Eaves.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Also, although he does need to get stronger but he isnt shy about throwing hits and getting his nose dirty. Once he does get stronger he should be a decent physical player also.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've never see Steen play soft. He hits and isn't shy about taking them either. His stickhandling and playmaking are great. He is a solid skater and his shot is average but improving. Steen also backchecks hard and will get better defensively as the effort and hockey sense is there. He isn't especially weak on the puck, but as with almost all rookies, there is room for improvement.

He actually has some pretty flashy moves if you watch him on a regular basis. Steen effectively uses a smaller version of the move in his imfamous SEL goal video all the time. You rarely see Mats Sundin dangle anyone but I don't think anyone questions his ability as a top first liner (I'm not saying Steen is in his league, just that not many NHL'ers dangle defensemen 1vs1 on a regular basis).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Steen is the best Leafs prospect I've seen in a long-time. I know that in context, that isn't saying much perhaps, but he looks like a decent 2nd-3rd liner - worst case. And he has certainly shown some nice moves and offensive upside, so I can't say I agree with your statement at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad