steen is overrated

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Steen is not overrated.

Steen is a great two-way player, and he is gifted offensively too. He's playing the wing right now, but he is a natural centre. He can score goals, but his playmaking skills are great too. He needs to get stronger and bulk up a bit, like most kids.

IMO, he will be a very good second liner, or a good 1st line playmaker, but will need good linemates.

Captain_Cunney

Sep 26, 2005
Bowling Alley
I've witnessed a great deal of leaf fans over-rating their prospects.....but Steen is not one of them. He is a very legit talent with 1st line potential and a 2nd line floor, IMO.

hab

Jan 19, 2006
I think steen will be a good one. fringe first line, solid second line guy. bulis is OK, but he is a third liner two way guy, not a scorer.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
Soft? Alexander Steen maybe isn't the fastest skater, but he sure AINT soft and he sure is not afraid of any physical contact, if you watch the games you'll see that.

And how can he be overrated when NOBODY is talking about him with rookies like Crosby, AO, Phaneuf, Svatos, Lundqvist, Prucha etc. in the league.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
MartinFr said:
And how can he be overrated when NOBODY is talking about him with rookies like Crosby, AO, Phaneuf, Svatos, Lundqvist, Prucha etc. in the league.
Why would anyone put him in with that group. That is overrating him in of itself... he has 17 goals and less than 40 points with plenty of ice time. He belongs in the same group as Patrick Eaves for the Sens and the rest of the 2nd tier rookies this year.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
champben2002 said:
Why would anyone put him in with that group. That is overrating him in of itself... he has 17 goals and less than 40 points with plenty of ice time. He belongs in the same group as Patrick Eaves for the Sens and the rest of the 2nd tier rookies this year.

Steen does not belong in the Phaneuf, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist tier but he would make a good case to be in the same tier as Prucha and Svatos when you consider several factors (based on this year).

As for Eaves, based on his performance this year - he's a tier below Steen although he could end up being a comparable or better player.

The Fuhr*

BlueAndWhite said:
As for Eaves, based on his performance this year - he's a tier below Steen although he could end up being a comparable or better player.

Steen 17 goals and 40 points in 67 games. 18:00 a game and 3:00 a piece on PK and PP. Good numbers on a weak Toronto team. Plays top 6 minutes

Eaves 17 goals and 22 points in 51 games. 10 minutes a games sees 47 seconds on PK and 1:35 on PP. 17 goals on Ottawas 4th line, thats pretty impressive.

Eaves would be putting up much better numbers if he was in TO. Not just that but the style of hockey Eaves plays there would be people out in Leafland comparing his abilitys to that of Gilmour. Steens good but Eaves is better.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
champben2002 said:

Where did I say that he was equal to those players? I'm just saying that he and many other great rookies this year has been out of the spotlight, which isn't a surprise, and that Steen is "soft" is just BS.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Fuhr86 said:
Steens good but Eaves is better.

Perhaps he is producing more goals now, but Steen will be a better player than Eaves. I beleive he has a higher potential and will reach it.

Steen is a centre playing out of his position. He is really a playmaker, but has scored a good amount in his rookie year. Also, a lot of Steen's minutes come on the PK as he and stajan are our best PKers.

Steen is better than Eaves.

Last edited:

Geese_Howard*

Fuhr86 said:
Steen 17 goals and 40 points in 67 games. 18:00 a game and 3:00 a piece on PK and PP. Good numbers on a weak Toronto team. Plays top 6 minutes

Eaves 17 goals and 22 points in 51 games. 10 minutes a games sees 47 seconds on PK and 1:35 on PP. 17 goals on Ottawas 4th line, thats pretty impressive.

Eaves would be putting up much better numbers if he was in TO. Not just that but the style of hockey Eaves plays there would be people out in Leafland comparing his abilitys to that of Gilmour. Steens good but Eaves is better.

how do you know that? what if he chokes in torontos big market, steen has all the pressure on him, eaves has ZERO, if eaves doesnt score, heatly, spezza, alfredsson, havlat, smolinski, shackfer, fisher, redden, chara will score

lets see on the leafs, if Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe, Tucker, I think thats about it, allison and lindros are hurt.

SUPERMAN

Feb 29, 2004
Steeen

Akexander Steen is one of the best young player, 2-ways and a very good representative from Swedish hockey, Frolunda Indians :handclap:

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:

1.) I said that it was based on this year and that Eaves could end up being the better player or comparable.

2.) Nice spin on the numbers.

Eaves 12:32 gets bumped down to 10 minutes a game.

Furthermore, Eaves is 10th in TOI/G for Senators forward but that lists includes Martin Havlat (injured for most of the season) and Tyler Arnason (played all of 13 games for the Senators). When you account for the fact that Spezza and Fisher have both missed 14 games (and I realize Fisher missed a few games before Eaves ever played an NHL game) - I wonder how poor Patrick Eaves keeps finding himself on the fourth line for all his 51 games.

The reality is that Eaves plays much more than his numbers indicate (his 20 minutes of ice-time in the last game at Atlanta for example) and has been given much more ice-time over the course of his 51 NHL games.

There are other factors that have to be considered, you can't just make assumptions that if you switched player X with player Y, the production would be more. If Steen plays on the first line, he usually draws the top defensive pair of the opposition. If Eaves is a fourth line scrub as you say, he won't have to worry about going up against the Charas of the world.

Steen is IMO a much better defensive player (at this stage of their development), as physical as Eaves but is inferior to Eaves when it comes to scoring goals. THIS YEAR, I believe Steen has been the superior player. In the future, it looks to be rather close.

But you're right - when you play with the numbers, present inaccurate facts and make wild assumptions - Eaves is better.

The Fuhr*

BlueAndWhite said:
1.) I said that it was based on this year and that Eaves could end up being the better player or comparable.

2.) Nice spin on the numbers.

Eaves 12:32 gets bumped down to 10 minutes a game.

Sorry, I did not mean to do that. I used Schuberts minutes by accedent

Edit: Also Eaves has played on the line of Vermette-Kelly-Eaves most of the season. Thats Ottawas fourth line. Recently when the injury bug hit Ottawa he got a promotion to a better line.

Transported Upstater

I don't think Patrick Eaves is a better all-around player than Steen. Does that make me an idiotic homer overrating my "Bulis like" player?

Steen >> Bulis.

Steen > Eaves (right now, that may or may not be the case in the future)

Steen << Mike Fisher (my favorite Senator player, along with Volchenkov; I only brought Fisher up because of a thread months ago on this board)

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
TransportedUpstater said:
I don't think Patrick Eaves is a better all-around player than Steen. Does that make me an idiotic homer overrating my "Bulis like" player?

No, Steen is as good an all-around player as they get (for a rookie).

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
a toronto fan on the caps official msg boards (i wont name names ;)) posted that he would never trade steen for ovechkin.

it was quite entertaining. i just thought i'd put that out there.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:
Edit: Also Eaves has played on the line of Vermette-Kelly-Eaves most of the season. Thats Ottawas fourth line. Recently when the injury bug hit Ottawa he got a promotion to a better line.

Somehow I have a hard time believing that Eaves has played on the fourth line for most of the season - esp considering the ice-time stats and injuries Ottawa has had.

If Vermette-Kelly-Eaves are Ottawa's fourth line - where do guys like Varada and McGrattan (when he suits up) play ?

Slink

Jan 31, 2004
Newmarket, ON
Can anyone find the video of that amazing deke Steen did back in Sweden a few years ago? I remember it being posted on the Leafs board before he came ove to North America.

The Fuhr*

BlueAndWhite said:
Somehow I have a hard time believing that Eaves has played on the fourth line for most of the season - esp considering the ice-time stats and injuries Ottawa has had.

If Vermette-Kelly-Eaves are Ottawa's fourth line - where do guys like Varada and McGrattan (when he suits up) play ?

Before Arnason Arrived
Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson
Schaerfer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Smolinski-Eaves/Mcgrattan
Vermette-Kelly-Mcgrattan/Eaves

After Arnason Arrived
Schaerfer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Arnason-Smolinski
Vermette-Kelly-Eaves

When Havlats back no more Varada, switch Smoke over to LW and place Havlat on RW.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Fuhr86 said:
Before Arnason Arrived
Schaerfer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Smolinski-Eaves/Mcgrattan
Vermette-Kelly-Mcgrattan/Eaves

After Arnason Arrived
Schaerfer-Fisher-Neil
Varada-Arnason-Smolinski
Vermette-Kelly-Eaves

When Havlats back no more Varada, switch Smoke over to LW and place Havlat on RW.

How does the full time second line winger like Neil average the same ice-time as the full time fourth liner like Eaves ?

And how does a third liner like Varada averages 3 minutes less than Eaves ?

Patrick Eaves may have begun his NHL career on the fourth line but he has spent very little time there, the numbers prove that.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
See, there are plenty of people that overrate Steen! It is completely fair to say that they are basically even at this point. The stats differance between the two are difficult to interprate, but they put the two players in about the same category. Those people that are saying that Steen>Eaves are just showing their bias (and overrating Steen), just as the opposite would show Sens bias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->