Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yeah, I remember seeing it on the Steam store and I thought the art style was kind of interesting but that was it, I saw it was kind of an adventure game and wasn't really interested. Then I saw a couple streamers I follow on Twitch play it one day and now I really want to give it a shot. I only watched enough to know I was interested and then shut it off not to spoil myself. It's definitely the kind of game I can wait to play so I may not pick it up here unless there's a bigger sale since my backlog is so big.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Return of the Obra Dinn looks super interesting and a fun game to play with my wife. Hopefully it's part of the sale.
I've had a ton of fun with Obra Dinn @ $20. The visual style isn't for everyone, but there's a ton of filters you can put on it to make it look different. Really good game, IMO.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Not Steam, but if you are interested in games like Hotline Miami or The Messenger, you can get the Devolver Digital pack on Amazon/Twitch Prime for free until January 31st.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
The Messenger is my game of the year for 2018. It is just so damn good. Best retro style game since Shovel Knight IMO.

Hotline Miami is another great game but I suspect most people here already own it by now. It's been so cheap and a part of so many bundles that I can't imagine many PC gamers don't already have it. If you have access though, absolutely give The Messenger a shot.

I think I'm already done with my shopping for the holiday sale. I picked up:

Into the Breach
Battletech
Thronebreaker

I wasn't really planning on picking up Thronebreaker for the price but after thinking about it, I just want to send some more support to CD Projekt Red. I'll definitely play it anyway so I'm not too upset about it only being 20% off but if it was made by any other company, I would have waited for a bigger discount.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I also picked up Into the Breach, and used what Steam credit I had left to nab Sonic Mania.

Stupid backlog will never die. :laugh:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Non-gaming laptop obviously limits your options. Here's some of my favorites for games that should be able to run on laptops easily:

Into the Breach - Turn based tactics roguelike tactics game. Every time you play is different, a game isn't very long but you're not going to beat it on your first few attempts, you fight giant insects off while you try to save the world.

Dex - 2D action/adventure game set in a cyber punk world. Everything is wonderfully voice acted and the story is top notch. Combat is rather bland but is serviceable for sure. The adventure and dialogue options are awesome though.

Guild of Dungeoneering - Kind of a board game where you design a dungeon. It's oddly addictive and also has one of the best theme songs I've ever heard for a video game.

Chroma Squad - Fun tactics game where you control a group of actors making their own TV show similar to Power Rangers. A lot of great humor and the tactics is really fun.

One Finger Death Punch - Really simple game that works incredibly well. Enemies attack you from each side and you just have to either right click or left click for the direction you want to attack. Different enemies require multiple hits and some will switch sides. The game can get pretty hectic but you'll get into a zone and it's incredibly satisfying when you're doing really well.

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 - Everything dies in one hit, it's an incredibly violent top down action game. Since everything dies in one hit, including yourself, you almost have to play it like a puzzle game. You'll die often but learning rooms and what the most efficient way to clear them is just as fun as actually killing everyone.

Slay the Spire - A fun deck building roguelike game where you draw cards each turn and deal damage to enemies by using the cards.

The Swapper - Awesome puzzle platformer that can definitely be played with a keyboard/mouse, that's how I beat it, with a neat story.

There's plenty of platformers that I can recommend too if you want to play them on keyboard and mouse but a lot of them are faster paced and I'd highly recommend a controller so I don't want to go through listing them unless you want more platformers.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Just not FPS. I use a mouse and keyboard to play (I don't have a controller), and I use a non-gaming laptop.
Hexcells it should be really cheap and come in a package with Hexcells Infinite and Plus. It is a puzzle game that is a lot like minesweeper, the levels are designed really well.

Defense Grid: The Aweakening is a really well designed tower defense game that can be pretty challenging.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sproggiwood is is a mildly amusing Rogue-lite I liked.

It's pretty easy but fun to play through once.

Dex - 2D action/adventure game set in a cyber punk world. Everything is wonderfully voice acted and the story is top notch. Combat is rather bland but is serviceable for sure. The adventure and dialogue options are awesome though.

The lead developer of Dex died a few years back. Pretty tragic.

I enjoyed the game, what I played of it anyway. The save system drove me nuts though so I couldn't finish it.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
only spent around $30 during the Steam Xmas sale.

loot this year =

Killer Instinct
Golf It!
Golf With Your Friends
Crossing Souls
Super Blood Hockey

also picked up a Samsung 860 Evo (500gig) SSD from Best Buy during the boxing sale ...was $99. can you believe that this is my first SSD? talk about late to the party.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Wasn't able to get anything this year, but I would have snagged Rainbow Six Siege finally if I was able to.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wasn't able to get anything this year, but I would have snagged Rainbow Six Siege finally if I was able to.

They seem to have a sale on it every 4-6 weeks, so you'll have another chance.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Wow, Into the Breach went from a lot of fun to just frustrating. I can get to the final mission consistently. I can even beat the first part of the final mission consistently with very minimal damage. But you get thrown into the second part, you don't get to pick where you start, you get bad RNG for where your power spawns, and you just get f***ed. I feel like the game is just putting me into impossible scenarios and the final mission is determined before I even take control of my characters in the 2nd stage of it.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Dead By Daylight is Free-To-Play this weekend.
I've had my eye on this game for a while, so this is a good chance for me to try it out and see if I actually want to buy it sometime in the future.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Anybody have any ideas for fun co-op games on Steam? Preferably cheap?

Looking for something new to play with a buddy and not having much luck.

Dumb fun is a plus.

Recently been playing stuff like Human: Fall Flat, Rocket League, Golf It!, and Armello, for reference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad