Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Not Steam...but make sure you download Subnautica on the Epic Games store for free today if you don't already have it. It's a really great game.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I love strategy/sims where you need to build & manage finances (thinking of the old Sim games like City/Tower): Are there any games out there that anyone would recommend like that? Nothing super complicated, I don't have a ton of time to learn in depth mechanics, but a basic sim/building game. Not really concerned with what you are building, just looking for that kind of management game.

Any ideas/recommendations? Planet Coaster & Skylines from a year or 2 ago (when the last sim city fiasco happened) are a little too "much" for me.

I haven't played this one, but Parkitect is getting great reviews.

Reactions: Bocephus86

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
anyone played Insurgency Sandstorm. I just watched a stream of it randomly and it looks cool as hell. sadly I missed the open beta last weekend but yeah

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I haven't played this one, but Parkitect is getting great reviews.

I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Big plus that its only 30 bucks &, like you said, the consensus of reviews is "overwhelmingly positive".

First review says its the spiritual successor to Roller-coaster Tycoon: Sold.

Edit: I'll report back on how it goes.

Reactions: Beau Knows

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I love strategy/sims where you need to build & manage finances (thinking of the old Sim games like City/Tower): Are there any games out there that anyone would recommend like that? Nothing super complicated, I don't have a ton of time to learn in depth mechanics, but a basic sim/building game. Not really concerned with what you are building, just looking for that kind of management game.

It's from a few years ago now, but Banished is a not super in depth builder that's pretty amusing for 50 hours or so.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It's from a few years ago now, but Banished is a not super in depth builder that's pretty amusing for 50 hours or so.
Oh I like the look of this one too. Might grab both, I have a fairly open weekend.

Honestly just looking for a casual game; the vast majority of games I play are grand strategy & RPGs, really just looking for something that I can play while watching TV...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think I'm going to give it a shot tonight. Big plus that its only 30 bucks &, like you said, the consensus of reviews is "overwhelmingly positive".

First review says its the spiritual successor to Roller-coaster Tycoon: Sold.

Edit: I'll report back on how it goes.
I might do the same. I just couldn't get into Planet Coaster

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
anyone played Insurgency Sandstorm. I just watched a stream of it randomly and it looks cool as hell. sadly I missed the open beta last weekend but yeah
I have it. I played it a bit when it was first released in early access with a lot of performance issues and haven't really played it much since. It's a really good game, a lot of it is map knowledge and strategy since any gun will kill you in pretty much 1-2 shots. You can get the original for dirt cheap pretty often and it plays very similarly if you want to get an idea. Sandstorm is just on a bigger scale with bigger maps, updated engine, and a few extra features thrown in.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I have it. I played it a bit when it was first released in early access with a lot of performance issues and haven't really played it much since. It's a really good game, a lot of it is map knowledge and strategy since any gun will kill you in pretty much 1-2 shots. You can get the original for dirt cheap pretty often and it plays very similarly if you want to get an idea. Sandstorm is just on a bigger scale with bigger maps, updated engine, and a few extra features thrown in.

I got the original Insurgency yesterday for free with my chrono.gg points, since it gives an extra 10% off Sandstorm. I might get it if I end up with Steam gift cards after xmas, which is common

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I picked up Parkitect yesterday and played for about 3 hours. I only did the tutorial, the first challenge/campaign "mission" & then I jumped into a large, open scenario (sandbox w/ cash management). I drove that park out of business because I am incapable of making a coaster that isn't too terrifying for my park go-ers, unless I build a boring mini-coaster, so I spent like 12k on a sweet coaster no one wanted to go on. I even rebuilt parts like 4/5 times but couldn't find a good balance so it was just a money pit.

I may need to play another couple scenarios to figure this out haha. But it is very fun, and fairly deep (supply management, pricing on each ride, keeping the workings of the park hidden from the public etc).

I read some beginner guides last night after driving my first sandbox park out of business & have a few ideas now (I tend to grow too fast & spend most of my starting money almost right away; my plan is to expand much slower this time around).

If you did like RCT, you will like this game. Hopefully they patch in a first-person view of rides (at least coasters) at some point.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I posted this in the deals and steals thread but just in case some of you frequent here more than there, I wanted to get it in another place.

Not Steam related but, Subnautica is currently free on the Epic Games Store until Dec 27th

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I posted this in the deals and steals thread but just in case some of you frequent here more than there, I wanted to get it in another place.

Not Steam related but, Subnautica is currently free on the Epic Games Store until Dec 27th

I already posted, but its worth a repost since im having alot of fun with it :D

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I was told Steam Winter Sale begins today. Looking forward to seeing the deals.
There's actually a couple games I want to pick up this sale which I'm kind of excited for. Normally it's like "Let's see what games are cheap enough for me to buy."

I definitely plan on picking up Into the Breach and Battletech. I might pick up Thronebreaker and Return of the Obra Dinn if there's a deal on them but neither have been on sale yet. There's a few other games on my wishlist that I can definitely see myself picking up if they end up 75% off.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Return of the Obra Dinn looks super interesting and a fun game to play with my wife. Hopefully it's part of the sale.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm planning on being stingy this winter sale, but I do have ~$15 in Steam credit just sitting there...

There's actually a couple games I want to pick up this sale which I'm kind of excited for. Normally it's like "Let's see what games are cheap enough for me to buy."

I definitely plan on picking up Into the Breach and Battletech. I might pick up Thronebreaker and Return of the Obra Dinn if there's a deal on them but neither have been on sale yet. There's a few other games on my wishlist that I can definitely see myself picking up if they end up 75% off.

Obra Dinn seems like a really cool game, but I'm worried about the headaches. :laugh:

Into the Breach and BattleTech interest me as well. I'm also still hoping for a sale on NieR: Automata...

...my backlog is still too big.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad