Steam #17 - PC gaming, sales, discussion, etc.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So far, picked up:

My Time At Portia (only 20%, but very new game)
Yooka-Laylee (70%)
Obduction (70%)
The Solus Project (50%)

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
My haul, nothing too crazy, but I got some decent stuff.

Fences $5
South Park: Fractured but Whole $6
Sleeping Dogs definitive edition $2
Grand Total: $13

Sleeping Dogs is actually pretty good. Definitely worth 2 bucks.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yooka-Laylee (70%)

Was pretty good for a while but the levels really let it down. Too much empty space and the level expand system was annoying.
Which is a shame cause I thought they nailed the mechanics mostly and the writing/style was solid enough.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My haul, nothing too crazy, but I got some decent stuff.

Fences $5
South Park: Fractured but Whole $6
Sleeping Dogs definitive edition $2
Grand Total: $13

Sleeping Dogs is actually pretty good. Definitely worth 2 bucks.

Sleeping Dogs is great. Such a shame we never got a sequel.

Got Axiom Verge just now. I just remembered about it!

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I backed Yooka-Laylee and never played it :laugh:. Did the same with Mighty No 9.
I never played Yooka-Laylee but I can certainly tell you not to waste your time with Mighty No 9. It's not as bad as people made it out to be since a lot of that is just losing extra points due to disappointment for the hype, but it is the most average game I think I've ever played. Everything is just so plain.

And wow, I didn't know Sleeping Dogs was only $2. I beat it years ago but that has to be the best thing you can get for $2 on Steam right now. It's probably my favorite open world game in a modern setting. I thought it was better than any GTA game. Axiom Verge is also solid if you're a fan of Super Metroid. It definitely feels like a SNES game so if you want something more modern, it may not be for you.

Figured I'd go through my most played games and recommend some cheap games I really enjoyed if anyone's looking for something else (all prices USD:)

Infinifactory - $5 - Think of a Minecraft puzzle game where you have to set up a factory of conveyor belts, spinning blocks, welders, push blocks, etc to build a specific structure exactly to specifications and send 10 copies of it to a loading bay. It gets really difficult later on but oh so satisfying when you solve the later puzzles.

Rogue Legacy - $3 - I'm not a huge rogue-lite fan but I loved this one. Each character has its own traits like being color blind or whatever. The gameplay is great and for $3, you can't go wrong.

Legend of Grimrock - $6 - Old school grid-based dungeon crawler. Second one is a lot of fun too but a few dollars more. First had better puzzles IMO but second was in a cooler setting and felt like more of a traditional RPG while still sharing the same game play mechanics

Ys Origin - $5 - Plays like a Zelda game but much more action based than being about puzzles. I don't really remember any puzzles tbh. The gameplay is great though, so is the soundtrack. There's so many fun bosses to beat.

Dex - $2 - Think of Deus Ex as a 2D platformer and you have Dex. Some amazing voice acting for an indie game. I loved every minute of it. It took me about 13 hours to 100% and I finished it in 2 days, a rarity for me.

Bayonetta - $5 - Older game but it holds up. Gameplay is incredible, story is ridiculous, port is incredibly well done.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - $4 - Beautifully drawn metroidvania. Definitely one of the best indie games ever made.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I finished Grimrock, Ys Origin, Dust, and Rogue Legacy*. I’ll concur those are all great games, especially at those prices.

Have to check out the others on your list.

*As much as anyone can “finish” a rogue-like game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Might be the first Steam sale I don't buy anything.

I'm making progress on my backlog. I can't sabotage it now. :laugh:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Was pretty good for a while but the levels really let it down. Too much empty space and the level expand system was annoying.
Which is a shame cause I thought they nailed the mechanics mostly and the writing/style was solid enough.

Lo and surprise, Yooka-Laylee is one of the free games on Twitch Prime this month, so refunded my Steam purchase.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I didn't even know they made an expansion for Hitman 2.

If you haven't played Hitman 1 (the reboot, not the original,) just get that. It's the same engine, all 2 does is give you a new set of missions. It's a lot cheaper too. As for 2, if you liked 1, you'll like 2. I didn't get the expansion but looking at the reviews for it, all it really does is add 2 new missions and $20 is pretty damn pricey for 2 missions. They have some sniper challenge stuff to pad the content to try to justify the price tag but who plays those? It's all about the missions. If I were you, I'd just skip the expansion pass and use the $20 elsewhere.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Okay, I done goofed up. I had Fallout 3 on my Steam wishlist, even though the Steam storepage said the game wasn't suitable for Windows OS past 7. Unfortunately, with the Steam summer sale, I got greedy and bought the game anyway. Now, the game freezes at one part. (If you want to know which part, you can send me a comment, and I will post a spoiler on where the freeze happens.) If you know a process that will fix this game on my Windows 10 desktop, I would like you to comment. Any help will be appreciated.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Okay, I done goofed up. I had Fallout 3 on my Steam wishlist, even though the Steam storepage said the game wasn't suitable for Windows OS past 7. Unfortunately, with the Steam summer sale, I got greedy and bought the game anyway. Now, the game freezes at one part. (If you want to know which part, you can send me a comment, and I will post a spoiler on where the freeze happens.) If you know a process that will fix this game on my Windows 10 desktop, I would like you to comment. Any help will be appreciated.

Try going through some of the fixes that pc gaming wiki recommends. They're usually pretty good.

Fallout 3 | PCGamingWiki

Fallout 3 | PCGamingWiki

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seems like it's been a long while since I bought games during a Steam sale, but this time I did pick up:

Ori and the Blind Forest (finally)
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (used my Corgi $$$ here, a FF Tactics type SRPG)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Stellaris

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I didn't even know they made an expansion for Hitman 2.

If you haven't played Hitman 1 (the reboot, not the original,) just get that. It's the same engine, all 2 does is give you a new set of missions. It's a lot cheaper too. As for 2, if you liked 1, you'll like 2. I didn't get the expansion but looking at the reviews for it, all it really does is add 2 new missions and $20 is pretty damn pricey for 2 missions. They have some sniper challenge stuff to pad the content to try to justify the price tag but who plays those? It's all about the missions. If I were you, I'd just skip the expansion pass and use the $20 elsewhere.

Thanks for the response.

Ended up getting just the regular version of 2. Really loved missions 2 and 3, the shaman kill was hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad