Game Analysis: Stay Positive: This is why you never give up -

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
I agree with this and am praying to the hockey gods that this is true. Pleasee.....pleaseeeee

Yep... Hopefully the Rangers can pepper Holtby with enough shots for a couple to get through. To date Holtby has matched Lundy and possibly exceeded his play. If Lundy truly wants to take the next step he might have to hurl a couple of shutouts (he's more than capable) and take the team on his back yet again. The offense is what it is. The odds are that the Rangers won't score much so their game is simply to avoid breakdowns and limit offensive chances.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I was totally dejected last night and was sure we were done. And for good reason.

Holtby is a machine and we gave up a 2 on 0 that led to a goal. Anyone that doesn't think it looked bleak right then is lying to themselves. As time continued to tick, Holtby looked just as strong.

We scored on 2 deflections and won the game in OT. I'm very happy we live to play another day, but I still don't think we've solved Holtby. We're not gonna get fortuitous bounces like that very often.

Count me in as still worried, but not completely defeated like last night.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
I was totally dejected last night and was sure we were done. And for good reason.

Holtby is a machine and we gave up a 2 on 0 that led to a goal. Anyone that doesn't think it looked bleak right then is lying to themselves. As time continued to tick, Holtby looked just as strong.

We scored on 2 deflections and won the game in OT. I'm very happy we live to play another day, but I still don't think we've solved Holtby. We're not gonna get fortuitous bounces like that very often.

Count me in as still worried, but not completely defeated like last night.

Yup, last night I completely gave up. I am happy for the win but we still have a mountain to climb here. Last night was not convincing, despite how great of a win it was.

I don't think this team will win the cup so I am just looking forward to seeing one more Rangers game till next season.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not so sure that the Capitals can continue their smothering play. The Rangers pushing it harder, the Capitals being a bit less effective -- whatever combination and ratio of each it is -- Holtby is a good goaltender, and I do not deny it. He is part of a team, and I think the Rangers are a better team.

Get the puck, shoot quickly, have movement, screen the goalie, go to the net. This has been good hockey strategy for eons.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I fully expect the Caps to continue their smothering lay. It's the reason I didn't want the Rangers to have to play the Caps in the PO. The Caps have smothered the Neutral Zone all year. Ask any NHL player that has played the Caps multiple times this year and they will tell you that the Caps are a big team that excels between the blue lines. For them to suddenly stop playing this way would mean they are no longer the Caps.

We just need to continue to adapt and do what we're doing:

Forecheck and make big plays like the Fast intercept in the NZ...which is nearly as good as a fast break.

Dump & Chase as often as needed. We have the speed to chase and the work ethic to win board/corner battles after the chase. We've gotten so many chances playing this way, but unfortunately those chances have ended when MSL has whiffed or taken too long, or someone has shot the puck wide, or we've made one pass too many, or Holtby was spinning on his head, etc...

Blitz Holtby on the PP. The 1st PP in the 1st period last night showed a different PP approach. It was a blitzkrieg. Didn't get the result we wanted at the time, but law of averages will catch up & give us goals if we continue that. Some of the shots on that PP were high quality and there is always the chance of rebounds and a screened goalie when you take that approach.

Keep hitting the Caps, who are a bigger team. Kreids & Glass, if not entirely productive this PO, have made themselves felt out there. I doubt the Caps expected all the bumps & bruises they've undoubtedly received at the hands of our checkers. Glass & Kreids have a high number of hits on the Caps. Glass ****ed up Gleason in a fight. Wilson hasn't had the dirty, physical presence I expected. With the exception of the hit on Boyle at the end of Game 3, the Caps are not taking liberties with the Rangers like they took with the Isles.

The first bounces came last night, but we're still overdue for an offensive outburst. We've scored below our regular season PPG in every game this Playoffs. If we continue to play this way and get another 40 shots on net...I'm very optimistic.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I fully expect the Caps to continue their smothering lay. It's the reason I didn't want the Rangers to have to play the Caps in the PO. The Caps have smothered the Neutral Zone all year. Ask any NHL player that has played the Caps multiple times this year and they will tell you that the Caps are a big team that excels between the blue lines. For them to suddenly stop playing this way would mean they are no longer the Caps.

We just need to continue to adapt and do what we're doing:

Forecheck and make big plays like the Fast intercept in the NZ...which is nearly as good as a fast break.

Dump & Chase as often as needed. We have the speed to chase and the work ethic to win board/corner battles after the chase. We've gotten so many chances playing this way, but unfortunately those chances have ended when MSL has whiffed or taken too long, or someone has shot the puck wide, or we've made one pass too many, or Holtby was spinning on his head, etc...

Blitz Holtby on the PP. The 1st PP in the 1st period last night showed a different PP approach. It was a blitzkrieg. Didn't get the result we wanted at the time, but law of averages will catch up & give us goals if we continue that. Some of the shots on that PP were high quality and there is always the chance of rebounds and a screened goalie when you take that approach.

Keep hitting the Caps, who are a bigger team. Kreids & Glass, if not entirely productive this PO, have made themselves felt out there. I doubt the Caps expected all the bumps & bruises they've undoubtedly received at the hands of our checkers. Glass & Kreids have a high number of hits on the Caps. Glass ****ed up Gleason in a fight. Wilson hasn't had the dirty, physical presence I expected. With the exception of the hit on Boyle at the end of Game 3, the Caps are not taking liberties with the Rangers like they took with the Isles.

The first bounces came last night, but we're still overdue for an offensive outburst. We've scored below our regular season PPG in every game this Playoffs. If we continue to play this way and get another 40 shots on net...I'm very optimistic.

I might be seeing things that are not there, or perhaps wishing for them, but I just look at a few little things here and there and wonder if the Capitals can continue that pace after an extreme battle with the Islanders.
I guess we will see. Regardless of what they do, the Rangers need to do the simple direct hockey plays that we all keep talking about.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Tampa doesn't clog the neutral zone; we would be able to skate freely against Tampa if we make it that far and if Tampa gets by Montreal. Too many ifs involved to even seriously think about this. Premature in my opinion.

Yeah. IF it happens it will be a very different game.

But right now the thing is to find a way to play the Caps. It would be nice if they would chillax about scoring, trust their talent, and avoid mistakes that give the Caps easy goals.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
I might be seeing things that are not there, or perhaps wishing for them, but I just look at a few little things here and there and wonder if the Capitals can continue that pace after an extreme battle with the Islanders.
I guess we will see. Regardless of what they do, the Rangers need to do the simple direct hockey plays that we all keep talking about.

Nah, you're seeing correctly, IMO. I totally agree with you in the ways the Caps have played and agree with you that we need to keep doing what we're doing. We're doing so many things right! I just think it's the nature of the Caps to play the style they've been playing. Other than that, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This team is capable of winning the Cup.

Last year's team was as well.

But it's on them to make it a reality.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Although the concept in the thread title, "Stay Positive: This is why you never give up", has kept the tickets and apparel selling for many franchises over the years, I do believe that in this induced parity league, no team is finished until they are officially finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad