Game Analysis: Stay Positive: This is why you never give up -

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Down but not out. Our GDT deteriorated into a real downer last night... but the players on the ice were not listening. Some of us could really take a cue from the players we have invested our time and energy into rooting for. I imagine most of us played hockey or at least some sports growing up. Sports teach us many things... don't forget the lessons.

Lesson #1 Never give up and give your all with a positive attitude to the very end.

That's a life lesson folks.

The Rangers were a great example of lesson #1 last night. Thank You NY Rangers. My kids were loving it and they will remember this lesson. Go for it!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
well today our situation is a little bit brighter than yesterday. the rangers have to go back to dc but if they win that doubt will be in the minds of the caps players--momentum will be on our side and the rangers will be going back home for the final game.

the series was just about in the caps hands but last night the rangers cracked holtby in the final two minutes of regulation and then again in overtime. hopefully that is significant because holtby despite henrik's spectacular goaltending has been the player of the series. if he comes back down more to earth our chances get a lot better.

Vickers8

Never give up...1 faceoff, 1 shift, 1 period, 1 game, 1 win, at a time...we never quit last night

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I feel bad for the rest of the team considering that the two stars can't score to save a life. Kreider is turning into a real playoff beast. Step had a few slow games, but got two primary assists yesterday. Brass, Hagelin always play well in the playoffs. Lundqvist is not even human. But you can't win anything if your two top forwards are not scoring. Didn't watch last night's game except the last two minutes because I wasn't strong enough to stay away from it. Turned on, was about to turn it off, but Kreider scored. Didn't watch the OT. Won't watch the next game either. Nash not scoring means the team is headed nowhere.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
This is a place people use to vent their frustrations so I really don't fault anyone for being negative and pessimistic when we were down a goal with like 10 minutes left in an elimination game. It's just how some people deal with emotions. I'm certainly more positive today than I was yesterday.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
well today our situation is a little bit brighter than yesterday. the rangers have to go back to dc but if they win that doubt will be in the minds of the caps players--momentum will be on our side and the rangers will be going back home for the final game.

the series was just about in the caps hands but last night the rangers cracked holtby in the final two minutes of regulation and then again in overtime. hopefully that is significant because holtby despite henrik's spectacular goaltending has been the player of the series. if he comes back down more to earth our chances get a lot better.

Being down 3-2 is better than being down 3-1, but I don't see how "the rangers cracked holtby." We scored our usual 1 goal in regulation, and it took until the last 2 minutes to do that. Not exactly cracking Holtby there. At least last year the Rangers destroyed Fleury with 5 goals, beating up on his confidence along the way. Then we followed 5 goals with 3 goals. That's a convincing way to win. Getting lucky 100 seconds before the end of the game and then scoring in the OT is not exactly a convincing win.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
It was heartening to see the Rangers not give up. What a tough slog each and every game has been, and my biggest wish is that they remember and implement again what got them the win.
Making things easier on yourself, and using energy wisely, is always a good thing. I always believe in the Rangers, even as I acknowledge flaws in their strategy and wait nervously for them to correct it.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I was done last night. Completely frustrated.

Incredible win. Inspiring.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
This is a place people use to vent their frustrations so I really don't fault anyone for being negative and pessimistic when we were down a goal with like 10 minutes left in an elimination game. It's just how some people deal with emotions. I'm certainly more positive today than I was yesterday.

Pessimism in a 1 goal game is defeatist. We are entitled to think however we want, I would encourage all my friends to be more positive.

I mean, we all hope the team doesnt give up in a one goal game right?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Pessimism in a 1 goal game is defeatist. We are entitled to think however we want, I would encourage all my friends to be more positive.

I mean, we all hope the team doesnt give up in a one goal game right?

It's not defeatist. You have no affect on anything that goes on out there. It's just venting. It's not hard to forgive people for being frustrated and pissed off by the outcome of the story of the 2015 NYR should they lose 1-0 last night. What bothers me is when folks somehow think that what they say matters when it doesn't...at all.

You can vent and be like "Hell I was just pissed" which can actually make for an entertaining read. Or you can vent and be like "I'm only hard on them so that they can succeed" which is delusional as hell. Or they'll post in a way to boost their own egos by offering some kind of ridiculous analysis like "SEE! I called it! This team will never win with Lundqvist!" Which frankly should just an auto ban for trolling either on purpose or out of ignorance. Calling him out for a bad goal is fine but the blanket, foolish statements people make and then argue for 12 pages to derail entire threads is ridiculous.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Being down 3-2 is better than being down 3-1, but I don't see how "the rangers cracked holtby." We scored our usual 1 goal in regulation, and it took until the last 2 minutes to do that. Not exactly cracking Holtby there. At least last year the Rangers destroyed Fleury with 5 goals, beating up on his confidence along the way. Then we followed 5 goals with 3 goals. That's a convincing way to win. Getting lucky 100 seconds before the end of the game and then scoring in the OT is not exactly a convincing win.

not to get me wrong--they were not weak goals that holtby gave up. but letting kreider's tying goal in with less than two minutes to go and when your team is about to clinch is kind of cracking when looking at all the lights out saves he'd been making up to that point. it's comparable to ward's goal in the last second of the first game. the rangers pretty much outplayed the caps the entire night last night--driving the play and holtby was literally stealing the game.

as for the winning goal--a nice setup by stepan to mcdonagh but holtby's stopped a few like that already in the series. holtby went from something like letting in one goal on 95 shots between games 3,4 and most of 5 and then of the last 8 or 9 shots of game 5 he let in two. he stops kreider's shot the caps are in the conference finals. now they have to play another game and fwiw it's been an evenly played series--the rangers win the next one and it will be an even series with momentum going our way. time will tell.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

For a team that was shutout by Holtby for over 3 games worth of ice time... Getting 2 goals in 12 minutes is fairly big.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
There's a reason to be negative and it's important to look at the shortcomings of the team even in victory. if the team is struggling this hard against the Caps, they likely don't have a chance to beat TBL if they advance.

That being said, none of that is gonna make me feel better or change anything. I'll complain about Nash and rant about keeping MSL off the team after the playoffs. I'll forgive kreider and yandle for poor play since they got points, with kreider scoring the huge goal. The only thing that matters here is the cup. Idc if the team flukes into 10 more wins getting outshot 40-10. Just keep on winning.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Down but not out. Our GDT deteriorated into a real downer last night... but the players on the ice were not listening. Some of us could really take a cue from the players we have invested our time and energy into rooting for. I imagine most of us played hockey or at least some sports growing up. Sports teach us many things... don't forget the lessons.

Lesson #1 Never give up and give your all with a positive attitude to the very end.

That's a life lesson folks.

The Rangers were a great example of lesson #1 last night. Thank You NY Rangers. My kids were loving it and they will remember this lesson. Go for it!

Love the optimism, but wayyy too much hindsight here.

I was at the game last night, and it was a thriller, but that doesn't just excuse them. The team blew their load in the first and failed to capitalize on opportunities most teams would with their eyes closed.

They were also downright pathetic in the third period and overtime. Every person in the GDT, at the arena and in a bar watching the game had a right to be disgusted with their performance. They were nervous, tentative and turnover machines. Last minute heroics don't just excuse them from that, because right now this team has been nothing but a complete disappointment this entire playoffs.

They couldn't even get it into Washington's zone after the Caps scored. One of our players finally decided to turn their brain on and realized "hey, instead of holding the puck for 4 seconds like an idiot, I'm actually just going to shoot it", and it worked. There was hardly a 5 minute "push" at the end like we're so used to weathering when we're up by 1 goal.

Last edited:

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Love the optimism, but wayyy too much hindsight here.

I was at the game last night, and it was a thriller, but that doesn't just excuse them. The team blew their load in the first and failed to capitalize on opportunities most teams most would with their eyes closed.

No hindsight. I felt this in the moment last night as well... OK I didnt goto MSG last night, but the benefits of instant replay and multiple angles of every key play ARE A DIFFERENT KIND OF PERSPECTIVE.

NYR were the better team and Holtby is an enigma. Guy has been unreal. He may literally be making saves with his eyes closed using the force... but now they have him thinking.

It was a ONE GOAL GAME and the Rangers prevailed. They didnt give up.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
There's a reason to be negative and it's important to look at the shortcomings of the team even in victory. if the team is struggling this hard against the Caps, they likely don't have a chance to beat TBL if they advance.

EEeek dont think like that. Caps are collapsing infront of a really hot goaltender. The worm can turn just like that...

Rangers could have scored 2-3 in the first and that game turns into a blowout.

You just cant give up.

And yes, they should review whats working, whats not. I think we can agree. With all those bodies infront of the Caps net. SHOOT THE PUCK ON NET....ALOT AND THAN SHOOT SOME MORE.

Make those willing to block shots pay the price and wear them down... and as we head into game SIX that's EXACTLY what may be happening.

Im not delusional, I see what you see to a degree but it's no where near all **** in a one goal game where the Rangers had the puck the majority of the time.

Id like to see them win more face offs

Id like to see them own that spot infront of the crease and tire those dmen out and shoot shoot shoot. Shoot low and let the pinball machine do its work.

No mistakes.

Who is the better team? Who wants it more? Id like the Rangers to prove without any doubt they the answer to both those questions.

Just win

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This is a place people use to vent their frustrations so I really don't fault anyone for being ive and pessimistic when we were down a goal with like 10 minutes left in an elimination game. It's just how some people deal with emotions. I'm certainly more positive today than I was yesterday.

I dont know man there's venting and then there's stupidity. Down 1-0 after first 20 mins? ZOMG same old Rangers, we are screwed, we are done.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015

Gardner McKay said:
For a team that was shutout by Holtby for over 3 games worth of ice time... Getting 2 goals in 12 minutes is fairly big.

Completely agree with these posts. Whether or not we made great shots or got lucky, we beat Holtby twice in little over half a period worth of play. It's huge, IMO.

Holtby has been floating on air, but what goes up must eventually come down. Holtby was served a dose of Gravity last night. Hopefully, last night's game will get in his head...even if just a tiny bit. Anything to make him question himself is a big plus.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not gonna lie I thought it was done after glencriss scored . What a sense of relief when it was tied up. The winner was fantastic top of course

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Yogi was right: "it ain't over til it's over."

Last edited:

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I dont know man there's venting and then there's stupidity. Down 1-0 after first 20 mins? ZOMG same old Rangers, we are screwed, we are done.

Well, to be fair we gave up the goal 50 minutes into a stalemate in an elimination game in a series we've had serious trouble scoring in.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I really hope they can win game 6 and 7. Honestly, it would be amazing just to win this series.

Go in to Washington and steal a game, maybe even score a few goals. One game that's all that matters.

Then come home and clamp down and win.

Hopefully Holtby gets unlucky a bit.

BTW, great job by Girardi last night for shutting down OV. He really shut down basically every rush OV had and was excellent.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Completely agree with these posts. Whether or not we made great shots or got lucky, we beat Holtby twice in little over half a period worth of play. It's huge, IMO.

Holtby has been floating on air, but what goes up must eventually come down. Holtby was served a dose of Gravity last night. Hopefully, last night's game will get in his head...even if just a tiny bit. Anything to make him question himself is a big plus.

I agree with this and am praying to the hockey gods that this is true. Pleasee.....pleaseeeee

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

That being said, none of that is gonna make me feel better or change anything. I'll complain about Nash and rant about keeping MSL off the team after the playoffs. I'll forgive kreider and yandle for poor play since they got points, with kreider scoring the huge goal. The only thing that matters here is the cup. Idc if the team flukes into 10 more wins getting outshot 40-10. Just keep on winning.
Tampa doesn't clog the neutral zone; we would be able to skate freely against Tampa if we make it that far and if Tampa gets by Montreal. Too many ifs involved to even seriously think about this. Premature in my opinion.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Marty will score next match - he looks better for each game. :)
Rangers in 7 now for sure.
A massive boost for the whole team with OT winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->