WJC: Statsy's WJC Pool IV

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
No bonus for hat-trick?:naughty:

Surprised I'm in third since my goalie has played just 1 game:P

I was horrified that I had seemingly drafted the wrong one between the two Canadian goalies. However, when all is said and done, they both ended up with the same pathetic total of 2 points. I don't feel quite as bad about that now. :laugh:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Yeah, another huge day for me! After all, it looks like I can do it! I am still 2 points ahead of Khabby (stupid Switzerland! :laugh:). W. Nylander is officially out of the tournament (yeah tough break for you, Khabby) but I have skipped whole 1st round so there's that, it's somewhat even between us. :laugh: But yes, Nylander would be definitely one of the best players.

Remaining players for Khabby: Timashov, Holmstrom, Lazarev, Saarela, Juolevi, Vehvilainen (I think Kahkonen will start the next game).

Remaining players for me: Laine, Schmaltz, White, Werenski, Nedeljkovic.

It will be interesting to see if someone can make a jump and compete with me and Khabby, otherwise I would say it's all between me and Khabby for the first place.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not sure if I have issues in my life with priorities or not... but what I do know is that I just stayed up through the middle of the night to follow teenagers playing hockey in a relegation round on a live ticker. :laugh:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Yeah, another huge day for me! After all, it looks like I can do it! I am still 2 points ahead of Khabby (stupid Switzerland! :laugh:). W. Nylander is officially out of the tournament (yeah tough break for you, Khabby) but I have skipped whole 1st round so there's that, it's somewhat even between us. :laugh: But yes, Nylander would be definitely one of the best players.

Remaining players for Khabby: Timashov, Holmstrom, Lazarev, Saarela, Juolevi, Vehvilainen (I think Kahkonen will start the next game).

It will be interesting to see if someone can make a jump and compete with me and Khabby, otherwise I would say it's all between me and Khabby for the first place.

I think the Finns will go back to Vehvilainen.

Unless Russia plays Samsonov and Kapanen wakes up, I'm done. Schveshnikov and Kapanen worsf picks this tournament (preformance-wise).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
no bonus points for knowing Soderstrom was probably the best goalie to have while everyone else thought Soder/Sand strom were 50/50? :sarcasm:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
no bonus points for knowing Soderstrom was probably the best goalie to have while everyone else thought Soder/Sand strom were 50/50? :sarcasm:

Soderstrom is older, that's why they went with him. They never really gave a chance for Sandstrom to show himself. I think he's as good as Soderstrom. Personally I think that Sandstrom (while being younger) is already better than Soderstrom now. At least based on statistics and play in their respective leagues. One is playing SHL and one is playing Allsvenskan. Sandstrom will be the starting goalie for Sweden next year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Soderstrom is older, that's why they went with him. They never really gave a chance for Sandstrom to show himself. I think he's as good as Soderstrom. Personally I think that Sandstrom (while being younger) is already better than Soderstrom now. At least based on statistics and play in their respective leagues. One is playing SHL and one is playing Allsvenskan. Sandstrom will be the starting goalie for Sweden next year.

well sure, but that's what you picked based on no? Based on who you think will get the starts not based on who you think should. I expected Soderstrom to get the call for most of the games because he had experience from last year and I expected Sweden to win the tournament(changed now that Nylander is out, I think USA will beat them in the final) so that's why I wanted him.

Though adding 9 points(Soderstrom - Blackwood - Fleury(assuming whoever I replaced him with at the end gets nothing)) wouldn't put me in the lead so oh well.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
well sure, but that's what you picked based on no? Based on who you think will get the starts not based on who you think should. I expected Soderstrom to get the call for most of the games because he had experience from last year and I expected Sweden to win the tournament(changed now that Nylander is out, I think USA will beat them in the final) so that's why I wanted him.

Though adding 9 points(Soderstrom - Blackwood - Fleury(assuming whoever I replaced him with at the end gets nothing)) wouldn't put me in the lead so oh well.

Yes, sure, it's true. You pick the player, who is going to make the best impact on team now, not the player who is going to be better moving forward. I really had no idea about them. I thought that they will give them similiar chances (for example one will play against USA, and one against Canada) but that's not what they did. In the best scenario (for Sandstrom), I thought that they will go with one who's playing in Swedish top league despite being younger.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Well, I guess it's bonus points for me then. I was so sure that Soderstrom was going to be the starter that I actually thought that was what Tom was asking for even though he wanted Sandstrom. Soderstrom is a year older AND a returning player. He would have had to have sucked big-time to lose the starter spot. However, it's worth noting that he actually did early on, and only the illness to Sandstrom prevented the goaltending change. There is lots of luck involved in this tournament, and therefore this hockey pool.

Tomsburninghat

Dec 13, 2013
British Columbia
It's bad enough I ended up with Sandstrom but really that's not the reason my team stinks. Virtanen was my first overall pick and he's been terrible as far as points go and stupid penalties. He's property of the Canucks which is my team and it just shows why he needs to stick in the minors and not come up yet. He's immature and doesn't have the skill...yet. He IS tenacious and WILL be a force in probably a couple of years but for now...he cost Canada the last game. My defence has been brutal as well and frankly if you can't get at least 3-4 points from each of your guys then you won't win. My first D was Aho for Sweden...oh well...sometimes luck is not in your court. Go Finland!!!

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
It's bad enough I ended up with Sandstrom but really that's not the reason my team stinks. Virtanen was my first overall pick and he's been terrible as far as points go and stupid penalties. He's property of the Canucks which is my team and it just shows why he needs to stick in the minors and not come up yet. He's immature and doesn't have the skill...yet. He IS tenacious and WILL be a force in probably a couple of years but for now...he cost Canada the last game. My defence has been brutal as well and frankly if you can't get at least 3-4 points from each of your guys then you won't win. My first D was Aho for Sweden...oh well...sometimes luck is not in your court. Go Finland!!!

You definitely caught some bad breaks this year. The Aho injury, the Merkley and Guryanov cuts. And it hasn't stopped yet, by the way. Adam Ollas Mattson, your injury replacement for Aho, was also just taken out of the tournament with injury. :help:

But just think how things would have turned out if you had gone with Soderstrom and the OTHER Sebastian Aho! :laugh:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Standings (After Day 9)

Rank | Team Name | Goals | Assists | Win Pts | SO Pts | Pool Points
1|Tade|17|25|6|2| 50 |
2|Khabby|12|30|4|2| 48 |
3|AwesomePanthers|17|19|2|0| 38 |
4|Huffman|14|19|4|0| 37 |
5|WeThreeKings|11|13|8|4| 36 |
6|Canada4Gold|12|20|2|0| 34 |
7|Statsy|10|21|2|0| 33 |
8|Tomsburninghat|7|18|2|2| 29 |

Here's an update that includes the last relegation game as well as the two points that got missed for Forsbacka Karlsson. Khabby picked up a point from Timo Meier and Tomsburninghat got 3 from Dennis Malgin. Huffman's two points from JFK allow him to leapfrog WeThreeKings into 4th place.

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax

Haha, I would take making a pick 8 spots lower if it meant I would have that player the whole tournament, So thats not all that even ;) but that can happen to any player in a pool!

In the end, I think I can still win this thing without a major player

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Haha, I would take making a pick 8 spots lower if it meant I would have that player the whole tournament, So thats not all that even ;) but that can happen to any player in a pool!

In the end, I think I can still win this thing without a major player

I really feel for Tade. He missed that whole first round and got stuck with that bum Patrik Laine. :nopity:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad