Statistical Comparison Toronto - Pittsburgh

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Toronto and Pittsburgh have a lot of the same stats!

Toronto Pittsburgh (and LA) are 11-6-0

:leafs

G/G 2.88
G/A 2.35
5-5 GA/GF 1.16
PP% 21.7
PK% 83.8
S/G 26.7
SA/G 36.5

James Van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Nikolai Kulemin - Nazem Kadri - Joffrey Lupul
Mason Raymond - David Bolland - David Clarkson
Fraser McLaren - Jay McClement - Colten Orr

Dion Phaneuf - Carl Gunnarsson
Jake Gardiner - Morgan Rielly
Mark Fraser - Franson
Paul Ranger

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer

:pens

G/G 2.88
G/A 2.35
5-5 GA/GF 1.03
PP% 21.7 (LA PP% = 21.5)
PK% 83.7 (LA PP% = 81.2)
S/G 37.2
SA/G 27.2

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Pascal Dupuis
Jussi Jokinen - Evgeni Malkin (A) - Jayson Megna
Tanner Glass - Brandon Sutter - Craig Adams
Dustin Jeffrey - Joe Vitale - Deryk Engelland

Brooks Orpik (A) - Paul Martin
Matt Niskanen - Kris Letang
Oli Maatta - Robert Bortuzzo

Marc-Andre Fleury
Jeff Zatkoff

I was surprised to see how many stats were the same including special team percentages and goals for and against. I found this looking down the standings of the entire NHL.

Made me want to see an open discussion discussing the play of the 2 teams, from stats, to systems, to players, injuries, coaches, etc...

Discuss.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I've noticed this too, but the similarities stop there. Pens play a far better game, usually. We've mostly looked horrible, even when we've won.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
I've noticed this too, but the similarities stop there. Pens play a far better game, usually. We've mostly looked horrible, even when we've won.

I find that, in general, people tend to believe teams in other cities that they don't watch as often or with as much emotional investment play better than they do.

We've seen this iteration of the Leafs make the Pens look ordinary both this season and last in head-to-head play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if Pittsburgh is even that strong of a team among the true contenders.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
small sample size. discuss when more relevant.

20% of the season is done now, the standings for the most part won't shift around much. One or two teams may blow their tires and fall off a cliff but for the most part the standings an stat position won't change much. Just a bit of back and forth as teams get hot and cold.

BayStreetBullies*

They allow 10 less shots per game than us lol...

And yet both teams have allowed 40 goals in 17 GP. Or maybe the only rational explanation is that the Leafs have been lucky. :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
2x Elite centermen, check
1x Stanely cup winning tender, check
1x Perennial all star D, check
Kunitz, Neil etc, oh wait we don't have very much of any of that. At least not that level, we must be riding a statistical anomaly, ah well heave away.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
2x Elite centermen, check
1x Stanely cup winning tender, check
1x Perennial all star D, check
Kunitz, Neil etc, oh wait we don't have very much of any of that. At least not that level, we must be riding a statistical anomaly, ah well heave away.
1x elite wingers -check
1x Stanley cup winning goalie -check (ps, I take either of our goalies over anything they have)
1x perennial all star defenseman -check

As for the rest, we've got it covered. Do we have a Crosby or Malkin? Nope. Do we have a whole lot more depth? Yup.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1x elite wingers -check
1x Stanley cup winning goalie -check (ps, I take either of our goalies over anything they have)
1x perennial all star defenseman -check

As for the rest, we've got it covered. Do we have a Crosby or Malkin? Nope. Do we have a whole lot more depth? Yup.

You think we are as good as the Penguins.......... ,,, :::(((((((( ---,,' no

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That team is just not firing on all cylinders ATM. If they peek at the right time they are a top contender.

Malkin looks awful.

If you ask people here, neither are we. Nor have been healthy. Yet here we are 11-6.

As for Malkin, he shows up every other season. I think the Pens (much like the Bruins and Red Wings) are highly overrated.

wulfio*

If you ask people here, neither are we. Nor have been healthy. Yet here we are 11-6.

As for Malkin, he shows up every other season. I think the Pens (much like the Bruins and Red Wings) are highly overrated.

I'm pretty sure guys with rings are not overrated.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm pretty sure guys with rings are not overrated.

Well then were set. Bernier has a ring. So does Bolland.

My point? Yes, guys with rings can quite often get overrated. Boston winning a cup in 2011, and Detroit in 2008, Pittsburgh in 2009 have zero relevance on 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad