News Article: Statement from the Ottawa Senators regarding Eugene Melnyk - MOD Warnings-#9 & #143

Status
Not open for further replies.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
How people are so willing to help to appease some billionaire and get some reward and public recognition, but care less about the common person and their health struggles.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
How people are so willing to help to appease some billionaire and get some reward and public recognition, but care less about the common person and their health struggles.

Which is why its very nice that the donor has remained anonymous, by all accounts to Melnyk himself as well.

That's a quality human being right there . . . i think its in Islam where giving anonymous charity is viewed as one of the highest moral standings.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
Which is why its very nice that the donor has remained anonymous, by all accounts to Melnyk himself as well.

That's a quality human being right there . . . i think its in Islam where giving anonymous charity is viewed as one of the highest moral standings.

Ok everything I said minus the public recognition.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa

Good point, I've experienced nothing but incredible generosity and hospitality from Muslims in my life. They truly know the meaning of giving.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Did you completely miss the part where his public plea resulted in 20 other people getting livers?

Of course you didn't.

It's been all over my facebook too. People just love to complain just to complain.

They also just read what they want to read, all you need is a good headline.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

1) Like it was noted, it was anonymous, so not only was there no recognition, there is no "reward". Part of the screening process for doctors is to avoid people who are seeking a reward/compensation (this is for all donations, not just this case).

2) Over 20 people are still willing to donate to COMPLETE strangers, as in, they are willing to undergo surgery and miss 2-3 months of work for recovery time for someone they have no emotional connection to. That's pretty awesome.

3) It is totally understandable that people are more willing to donate to someone they know (or at least recognize) than someone they don't know. Obviously, most of these people probably don't directly know Melnyk, but they probably have a somewhat informed opinion of him or at least appreciate what he has done for the team. It is much different to go through this process for someone you don't know than someone you know. If I decide to donate my liver to my brother but find out that I'm not a match, am I less of a person for not proceeding to donate to a stranger instead?

Not meaning to single your post out, but I have seen a lot of negative comments around this story, which really there shouldn't be.

The story here should be along the lines of: "Sens owner life saved, over 500 offers for donation received, 25 additional lives also to be saved".

Last edited:

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007
I've seen of the comments online. They are horribly negative. As far as I'm concerned, the story of the two Kingston Ontario twins is no different than Mr. Melnyk's. It's because he's wealthy that people are going to hate on him more. It's embarrassing.

Oct 10, 2010
The donor will get something saying otherwise is just being naive.

I don't know how someone with Melnyk's wealth would be okay with what he got without rewarding that person? It will happen, we just wont hear about it.

It's easy to hide stuff today, especially when you have power - AKA money.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

I don't know how someone with Melnyk's wealth would be okay with what he got without rewarding that person? It will happen, we just wont hear about it.

It must be exhausting to be so cynical about life.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

or maybe the donor is legitimately remaining anonymous. There are good people out there.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I do think Melnyk should at least compensate for the lost wages of being off work. It's ******** and a serious deterrent to anyone considering being a live donor that there's no wage compensation program in place. I literally could not afford to be a live donor with the way it is now.

SenatorArmy*

For all we know the donor could be rich themselves. the donor may not be interested in compensation of ANY kind. It's entirely possible someone did this simply out of the goodness of their heart (and liver). I know it's rare but it happens.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Twenty people passed all the criteria, one was selected for EM and that individual wanted to remain anonymous.

The other 19 have indicated they will remain in the transplant program and are willing to donate to other individuals in need.

These two facts suggest to me that these 20 people aren't in it for anything other than helping to save a life while risking theirs.

To even suggest any of these people were influenced by opportunity is to be ignorant of the process and totally disrespectful of unbelievably courageous and giving people.

IMO there is no excuse for writing this kind of BS.

Oct 10, 2010
or maybe the donor is legitimately remaining anonymous. There are good people out there.

He's obviously a good person and potentially accepting a reward wouldn't change that fact- All i am saying is if i was in EM situation, i would find out who is he and reward him regardless if he didn't want anything.

I am aware he isn't asking for anything and that's cool, but if i was EM - it wouldn't matter to me, and i would want give the the kind person something - because i would feel awful with all my wealth not to treat the donor.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
Twenty people passed all the criteria, one was selected for EM and that individual wanted to remain anonymous.

The other 19 have indicated they will remain in the transplant program and are willing to donate to other individuals in need.

These two facts suggest to me that these 20 people aren't in it for anything other than helping to save a life while risking theirs.

To even suggest any of these people were influenced by opportunity is to be ignorant of the process and totally disrespectful of unbelievably courageous and giving people.

IMO there is no excuse for writing this kind of BS.
Yes, i know all of this.. Doesn't stop Melnyk from finding out who he is and rewarding the guy, which i think he will without anyone knowing about it.
And nothing i said was disrespectful - I was trying to say that i think Melnyk will reward this man despite him not asking for anything.
Potentially accepting a reward doesn't change the fact that donor is an amazing person.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Yes, i know all of this.. Doesn't stop Melnyk from finding out who he is and rewarding the guy, which i think he will without anyone knowing about it.
And nothing i said was disrespectful - I was trying to say that i think Melnyk will reward this man despite him not asking for anything.
Potentially accepting a reward doesn't change the fact that donor is an amazing person.

What you said, and now repeated, is EM wouldn't respect the wishes for anonymity by the person that saved his life and would seek him out to reward her/him.

I don't believe for one second Eugene would ever consider disrespecting that individual in such a fashion regardless of how indebted he felt.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Alright, donor was found. Transplant successful. Other lives potentially saved by the request as well.

Believe we've covered about everything that could be covered by this topic at this point.

Closed unless some crazy other news comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad