Marlies Discussion: State of the Union Address/Update

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Hear me out. I know there's a sticky above with Marlies talk, but I really want to promote the team and the AHL Marlies. The arena was maybe 1/3 empty last night. The team deserves a lot more support. It's great entertainment, affordable (beer & food), no long line ups for concessions, and the speed/skill-level is still top notch. It really is worth your time to drive-in or take the Go Train 🚃 to see a game.

I was at game last night. They kicked the crap out of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (not reflected in the score). This is well-rounded/well-coached team.

Here's a few things I noticed:

Woll is back in net. He's 5-0 since his return and .932 SV%. He had one big gaff in the 1st period, but settled in nicely. He made some 10 bell saves too.

Both Logan Shaw and Alex Steeves are big contributors in for this team in terms of points. Shaw stands out more, but I wish Steeves was a little more present in the game.

Hollowell is very good. Very smart. I don't think he made a single mistake all night. I think he's going to be a fixture in the NHL. With Toronto? Maybe.

I think maybe the most eye-opening thing was how mediocre/low key SDA is. I know his statistics make him look like a contributor, but his game is rather soft. I'm not saying he can't be better, but he is a name that Dubas brings up in terms of noteworthy prospects.

Also both Gaudette/Clifford have a major impact on this team. In no way am I saying that they should be playing for the Leafs, but they are great players to stand behind in an AHL game.

I just want to hear from some of you about how the season is going, the prospects, etc. Have you been to a game recently? What are your observations?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Go Leafs
Go Marlies

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've always been a fan of the Marlies and enjoy going to their games. I moved closer to CCC about 5 years ago, making it very easy for me to get to games, perfect timing to see the Calder Cup in person.

I enjoy the intimacy of the arena, I think their concessions are quite decent. I like the Game Day atmosphere, different from the Leaf games as they should be. Most of all, I love scouting prospects there. I went to my first game a couple weeks ago since the 2018-2019 season, COVID being a big reason it had been so long. I remembered why I loved it so much. I want the same as you do, but there are a few barriers.

The first regarding the game you mentioned. Mid-week right before the holidays. I'm not surprised it was only 1/3 full. Mid-week is tougher for most and I'm thinking now people are doing last minute shopping, getting last minute work done before the holidays. I'm guessing games during the holidays should pick up. The game I went to was on a Saturday, about 4,500, still a bit low but not horrible.

I still think CCC is not in the greatest spot. Being at Exhibition Station is helpful if you take the GO. I think for those who take the TTC, it's a bit of a pain vs. going to Union for SBA. I know over the years the TTC and the Marlies have done a better job coordinating getting streetcars there for the end of the game. It used to be brutal waiting in the cold for them. But it is still a bit of a pain to get to and from.

Another issue, some people just don't like minor league sports and or prospects like others. May not overly appeal in such a major league city.

But ya if you have a family and need something more affordable than the Leafs and have the time over the weekend, it is definitely worth it. I will say though, I did notice the ticket prices have quickly risen lately. As they have for all aspects of life. But the price range used to be about $11-$45. It's now about $19-$65. Again not horrible or not a crazy bump, but what it's done has really inflated the price of the mid-range seats, which went from about $25-$45, that to me is a bit of a jump.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad