Management State of the Bruins -Sweeney 5/18/22, Neely 5/19/22

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Reading the transcript and reading that Brad Marchand has a hip problem which has to be explored further is as worrisome as to whether Patrice retire or not.

If Bergeron does retire, does Krejci want to come back for at least a year so that he can play a whole year with Hall and Pastrnak?

Reactions: Gordoff

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Looks like it’s the usual year round up. Most interesting thing was his contract talk. Will he be back. I’ll bet the farm he is only because I don’t think the higher ups haven’t had time to decide what to do. Coaches are easier to replace. GM’s not so much IMO. All the rest, what do you expect from him regarding this year. Meh. Neely will be interesting. Maybe he’ll get harder questions.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
It’s really dangerous when you get to the point that you start believing your own bullshit.

Sweeney is a very intelligent guy. No disputing that.

I just don’t think he knows how to build a hockey team.

He’s good at components of his job, but it’s not enough.
He followed the Chiarelli path. Say it enough until it becomes true. Trading is difficult. Series of moves, etc.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I take most of what Sweeney says with a grain of salt, because he lies and prevaricates to the media a lot. But taking him at face value, here's just one of multiple issues I have. He says:

"We are going to give Patrice as much time as he necessarily needs. You could look at plans B and C and such, but let’s be honest, you don’t replace that type of player and what he means to our organization. That might take years to replace that player in that sense...He’s given us indications that he’s not going to hold us up in that sense in terms of what we may have to do subsequent to making a decision. But to be perfectly honest, I don’t think there’s a timetable on it.”

“Again, it might be years in the making in terms of you draft a player like that, develop a player like that, and you count your blessings every day. That’s ultimately what it comes down to, to be perfectly honest. That’s how it generally happens for most organizations...It will be no different for the Boston Bruins to find the next type – I don’t know whether or not there will be another one.”

Firstly, of course Bergeron needs to be respected and given sufficient time to make up his mind. But to have 'no timetable on it'? That's absurd. We're talking about the team's 1C, and you want to just wait and see, however long that takes, and only then decide more firmly on what to do if he retires? This is how the Krejci situation happened, and we got stuck with 2C by committee. And yet Don seems to have learned nothing from that and wants to go through it again.

Second, and more importantly, why are we only talking about the future top center of the team and the probable need to draft that player now? Bergeron's 36, with a million miles in his legs, and out of contract, and now you're like 'oh yeah, we need to find that next guy, but it takes years'. Seriously, WTF? With all due respect to Beecher, and Frederic and Studnicka and whoever else before him, they were not picked as prospective future 1Cs. Nobody has been. It's mind-boggling ineptitude and lack of forward planning.

This guy needed to be turfed out yesterday.

Last edited:

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
thanks for providing the transcript. If you typed this all out yourself then more power to you.

with that said, Sweeney really talks in circles sometimes. If I didn't know any better I would look at this text and think it had been filtered through google translate a couple times or something.
Yeah, he's a bullshit artist. Hey Donnie, here's a starting point for your little investigation into what went wrong; Haula is the second line center.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
This team is missing. Something
This team is certainly missing something and it is team toughness . With leaders like Bergeron and Chara ( going back a couple of years to say it is very sad is an understatement)
I have been a DS supporter and I think he brings a lot to the table, however when you look at Someone like Gryz and the money he is making in your top four in a playoff game. You have to ask WHY?????? If DS is ultimately the reason why time to move on

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Second, and more importantly, why are we only talking about the future top center of the team and the probable need to draft that player now? Bergeron's 36, with a million miles in his legs, and out of contract, and now you're like 'oh yeah, we need to find that next guy, but it takes years'. Seriously, WTF? With all due respect to Beecher, and Frederic and Studnicka and whoever else before him, they were not picked as prospective future 1Cs. Nobody has been. It's mind-boggling ineptitude and lack of forward planning.

This is the most frustrating part. Everyone knew this was coming but instead of trying they went with we’ll deal with it when we get there approach which results in this ridiculous answer

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
This is the most frustrating part. Everyone knew this was coming but instead of trying they went with we’ll deal with it when we get there approach which results in this ridiculous answer
I agree he seemed to be caught with his pants down with DK and now this Statement makes you wonder what he was thinking.

Well he's right, It is difficult when u blow all your cap space on 3rd and 4th liners and guys who are no longer in the NHL
Yes he had cap money to spend and blew it on Folingio and Nosek

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I take most of what Sweeney says with a grain of salt, because he lies and prevaricates to the media a lot. But taking him at face value, here's just one of multiple issues I have. He says:

"We are going to give Patrice as much time as he necessarily needs. You could look at plans B and C and such, but let’s be honest, you don’t replace that type of player and what he means to our organization. That might take years to replace that player in that sense...He’s given us indications that he’s not going to hold us up in that sense in terms of what we may have to do subsequent to making a decision. But to be perfectly honest, I don’t think there’s a timetable on it.”

“Again, it might be years in the making in terms of you draft a player like that, develop a player like that, and you count your blessings every day. That’s ultimately what it comes down to, to be perfectly honest. That’s how it generally happens for most organizations...It will be no different for the Boston Bruins to find the next type – I don’t know whether or not there will be another one.”

Firstly, of course Bergeron needs to be respected and given sufficient time to make up his mind. But to have 'no timetable on it'? That's absurd. We're talking about the team's 1C, and you want to just wait and see, however long that takes, and only then decide more firmly on what to do if he retires? This is how the Krejci situation happened, and we got stuck with 2C by committee. And yet Don seems to have learned nothing from that and wants to go through it again.

This guy needed to turfed out yesterday.
A team with 1C by committee and 2C by committee might be the quote of the year during the preseason.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree he seemed to be caught with his pants down with DK and now this Statement makes you wonder what he was thinking.

Yes he had cap money to spend and blew it on Folingio and Nosek
Do you think it’s possible that Krejci leaving this year was a surprise? That he was supposed to do that next year or the year after? If not, why not?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If there is an ounce of sense in the organization you would hope so. Somebody wake up JJ and get Charlie in from playing with his horses and tell them they might lose money next year if Sweengenius stays.

Reading "Boston Hockey Now" (yes, I know) and Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic, it is sadly apparent that the old man and his dopey brood will give Sweeney YET ANOTHER kick at the can.

Supposedly Don Sweeney will sign a one year contract, go for bust (and doubtless achieve it, though not in the way he envisions), and if he doesn't trick the pony, his ass is grass.

Another wasted year.

My hope and expectation is that Patrice will, in fact, retire.

Sweeney will no longer have his straw man.

The Bruins have a nucleus of very good players, even without Bergeron, and Beecher, Lysell, Lohrei, McGlaughlin & Merkulov may help. They have their goaltender of the future, and, at present, a very servicable tandem in net.

What they don't have is anything -- anything at all -- at 1C. They cannot fill that need internally, obviously, and the asking price for a free agent, or trade, will be (say it with me) sky effing high.

Without Bergeron -- and btw, yet again Sweeney floated the fantasy of DK#46 returning, which I rather doubt but if you've got the hot sauce when it happens, hey, I'll eat my hat -- you are talking about Coyle and Haula as no.'s 1 & 2.

Sans, again, bringing in a major 1C (yes, I am aware of the DuBois talk), Messrs Sweeney and Neely are in for A Season In Hell. And I hope they are.

Someone, and I won't say who, actually floated the idea of signing... Jonathan Toewes, his mystery disease, his age, his almost certain knowledge of the Kyle Beach business, and oh, his $10.5 million contract.

As... (wait for it) a "stopgap measure" between Bergeron's retirement and the Cavalry coming (no help there).

And you know what? I can actually SEE Sweeney entertaining the possibility.

The old man wouldn't go for it, of course, but hey, if you've already whiffed, expensively, repeatedly, on terrible free agent signings (thrice concussed -- at least -- Rick Nash, washed up and moribund, for X, Y & Z in assets, anyone?), this wouldn't surprise in the least.

Sweeney will go, eventually.

God help the guy who has to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
It’s really dangerous when you get to the point that you start believing your own bullshit.

Sweeney is a very intelligent guy. No disputing that.

I just don’t think he knows how to build a hockey team.

He’s good at components of his job, but it’s not enough.
Agree He has been very good at signing his core to team friendly deals. He also excels at giving NTC's and NMC's...he's like a NMC machine

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

This guy needed to turfed out yesterday.
There is no Bergeron 2.0. Look around the entire NHL. who is being Bergeron? Bergeron? The skill, the integrity, longevity/loyalty to team ?

Reactions: bbfan419

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hang the playoff appearance banners! We can the the Indianapolis Colts of the NHL.

No.

We can go back to the Sinden era, when the Bruins actually hung "Adams Division Champions" banners at the old Garden.

The gall of that effer. The contempt he had for Bruins fans. How stupid and blindly loyal they were.

Unfortunately, he wasn't half wrong.

At least he's more than half gone.

I was raised Catholic, but have not a charitible bone in my body for Jacobs or Sinden.

They deserve?

Purgatory. (Look it up.)

And the elevator is going down.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
In the last 5 years, where the B's have drafted, was there a known #1 center available? I doubt it.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No.

We can go back to the Sinden era, when the Bruins actually hung "Adams Division Champions" banners at the old Garden.

The gall of that effer. The contempt he had for Bruins fans. How stupid and blindly loyal they were.

Unfortunately, he wasn't half wrong.

At least he's more than half gone.

I was raised Catholic, but have not a charitible bone in my body for Jacobs or Sinden.

They deserve?

Purgatory. (Look it up.)

And the elevator is going down.
The way a good portion of fans talk, you’d think they’d approve of the playoff appearance banners. I’d argue the Bs currently are in purgatory. I mean hell first or second round playoff exit every year. The one year they made it to the Stanley cup since Sweeney took over all the cards fell right in the B’s lap with Tampa and the capitals getting upset. Probably the easiest path they’ll ever have and still couldn’t win it all.

Except this form of purgatory is evil because jacobs won’t change things up as long as the team is making the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad