Management State of the Bruins -Sweeney 5/18/22, Neely 5/19/22

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
"I don't necessarily feel that's constructive, but it's appropriate."

Well, dont suck and the yahoos on twitter and HFBoards won't tell you you suck.

My takeaway

Sweeney Pres Hockey Ops

Even Gold GM
yeah, this line specifically:
I’ve had a discussion earlier in the year in terms of the indication of where my path will be and that will be determined in short order.

"baby Im getting a promotion, peace bitch"

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I’ve had a discussion earlier in the year in terms of the indication of where my path will be and that will be determined in short order.

Why would Sweeney say peace bitch ? Did he say that? Or Joey from the South Shore

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

107 points
5 straight years advancing in playoffs
A WC lose to a first place team by a goal playing multiple games without their top D defenseman
2019 game 7
2020 President Trophy

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

From article

“I’m under contract right now. I’ve had a discussion later in the year as to an indication of where my path will be. And that will be determined in short order,” said Sweeney.

Exactly how that will be determined is unclear, but we may get a better idea when team president Cam Neely gives his end-of-season address on Thursday.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Interesting that he put all of the onus on the first round exit on the players execution. No mention of having an inferior team.

Again, we knew this going in and breaking down the series in pre-scouting. You’re talking about teams that finished one and two expected goals wise. Two very, very defensively oriented teams that were going to be stingy. It was going to come down to the execution piece, which give them credit, they executed just a little bit more than we did at certain times in crucial games and situations. Discipline, we took too many penalties in this series, takes away – it’s not just that we might have on the surface won a power play, where our power play percentage was a little better than penalty killing wise. They were a very good penalty killing team all year as well. We knew that was going to be a challenge. That being said, it takes away momentum of your own 5-on-5 play when you have to take a lot of energy to kill those extra couple minors here and there. That’s on us for some of those situations. And then getting to the 5-on-5 and the areas of the ice, they used the up top really well, their D found some seams that generally don’t happen in our system so shame on us for the breakdowns overall and we didn’t execute to the same degree. Whether that’s the tip of a whether that’s a key moment of games that I talk about being able to elevate and finish a 2-on-1 versus not because you know there’s just not a lot of trade chance opportunities in the course of the games. The way the games played out, when you got a lead it was difficult to come back. I think six of those games, it spells exactly that way. Game 7, you know the margins are even smaller - you’re entering the series knowing the margins are even smaller and in Game 7 they probably get even smaller. Really, the opportunities just weren’t there. They executed just a little bit better than we did that’s why I describe it as I think we left something on the table.”

I think there are a lot of signs that Sweeney's a poor self-evaluator. When you consistently have the same problem and are unable to fix it, then you clearly don't have a solid grasp of it. Everyone knew the roster wasn't good enough to win a Cup on day 1 of the season and the trade deadline didn't change that. If Sweeney disagrees with that, he's either lying to the public or to himself.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
107 points
5 straight years advancing in playoffs
A WC lose to a first place team by a goal playing multiple games without their top D defenseman
2019 game 7
2020 President Trophy
I really think the frustration is not making that next move with Cap space available, for scoring depth, so Wagner and Trent weren't the only options. This Team, without their #1 AND #2 D-Men dominated the Canes. Mngt obviously put in enough pieces.

The team didn't look exciting or even good at times, but was a playoff lock and took the best team in the East to 7-games.

The future is unknown
2019 F'in still stings.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron is not coming back.

He'll collect his record fifth Frank selke award and go out on top. Book it.
That's my thought.

Sweeney said Bergeron indicated he'd make his decision in time for them to plan to make whatever moves they'd need to based on his decision. So I would think the answer will come in the next week or so.

Maybe Chara will sign a one day contract and they'll retire together.

This is depressing already. Please surprise me, Bergy.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bergeron is not coming back.

He'll collect his record fifth Frank selke award and go out on top. Book it.

No way!

Bergy will be back for half a season (2nd half).. get his 1000 point etc.

Well I would like to think so

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I think there are a lot of signs that Sweeney's a poor self-evaluator. When you consistently have the same problem and are unable to fix it, then you clearly don't have a solid grasp of it. Everyone knew the roster wasn't good enough to win a Cup on day 1 of the season and the trade deadline didn't change that. If Sweeney disagrees with that, he's either lying to the public or to himself.
When the Islanders beat them, there were two key issues identified. Bottom 6 forward group wasn’t good enough and lost matchups, and the left side of the D was poor.

So the GM re-signed Mike Reilly, added 3 new forwards to the bottom 6 (Haula, Nosek and Foligno), and signed Derek Forbort. So to his credit, he looked at those issues and “addressed them”.

Reilly is a soft 3rd pair dman, Forbort is a mediocre 3rd pair dman. Haula is solid at 3C, Nosek is a 4th line with no offensive ability, and Foligno blows.

Because his attempt to fix LD was so bad, he ended up having to pay a lot for Lindholm at the deadline, rendering Reilly basically just injury depth. At a decent AAV with multiple years.

So, to your point, I’d argue they still have the same holes today!

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
It’s fantastic

My takeaway

Sweeney Pres Hockey Ops

Even Gold GM

Colin Mayberry Asst GM

Cam advisor to Owner

Excellent if this is plan

Felger & Mazz probably never heard of Even Gold or Colin Mayberry which means 66.7 % here don’t either
Who was the first person to suggest Evan Gold as the next GM? I can't remember :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

That's my thought.

Sweeney said Bergeron indicated he'd make his decision in time for them to plan to make whatever moves they'd need to based on his decision. So I would think the answer will come in the next week or so.

This is just my feeling:

Bergeron will not want any decision made public before the Stanley Cup is awarded. To Bergy, the game comes first and I don't think he will want his decision taking away from that.

Just my opinion though.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Who was the first person to suggest Evan Gold as the next GM? I can't remember :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

This is just my feeling:

Bergeron will not want any decision made public before the Stanley Cup is awarded. To Bergy, the game comes first and I don't think he will want his decision taking away from that.

Just my opinion though.
True. It's possible he already told the Bruins and just asked them not to blab it yet. That would be very Bergeron-like.

I still hope I'm wrong and he comes back.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That's my thought.

I actually hope Patrice retires.

For his sake, and ours.

As noted in a previous post, Sweeney, if not Neely, will no longer have Bergeron to hide behind.

It's going to be rough sledding regardless. I want the major retool to begin with someone from outside the organization, and a clean sweep of management, as was largely the case when Charlie Jacobs hired Peter Chiarelli all those years ago.

Begin.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

From article

“I’m under contract right now. I’ve had a discussion later in the year as to an indication of where my path will be. And that will be determined in short order,” said Sweeney.

Exactly how that will be determined is unclear, but we may get a better idea when team president Cam Neely gives his end-of-season address on Thursday.tiny and gutless didin't work and they will rebuild in
Once upon a time Cam played the game the way it should be played and did the right thing. Cam can once again do the right thing Thursday by coming out and announcing that Sweeney has been dropped to the bottom of the harbor with Cassidy, that they will rebuild as a modern day "Big Bad Bruins" where players stand up for there teammates and there is no room for soft, passive players. That they will build towards being fast, aggressive and skilled with McAvoy, Tom Wilson and the Tkachuk's as the blueprint for the modern Bruins.

Did Sweeney forget that the Bruins lost to a terrible goaltender? That’s kind of a big deal you shouldn’t really gloss over.
You gloss over it when you created this mess and have no desire to take responsibility for it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It’s fantastic

My takeaway

Sweeney Pres Hockey Ops

Even Gold GM

Colin Mayberry Asst GM

Cam advisor to Owner

Excellent if this is plan

Felger & Mazz probably never heard of Even Gold or Colin Mayberry which means 66.7 % here don’t either
Who's this Cahlin Mayflowah fella?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Did Sweeney forget that the Bruins lost to a terrible goaltender? That’s kind of a big deal you shouldn’t really gloss over.

That wasn't really a factor. Raanta gave up 12 goals on 12.65xG. He didn't play all the great, he didn't play poorly. The Bruins just didn't generate very much. The goaltender had little to do with it. Look at a guy like Jake Oettinger. He gave up 13 goals on 23.11xG. That's what a goalie effecting a series looks like. The flames should have swept the stars, but Otter played out of his mind. Raanta was just kinda there.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
That wasn't really a factor. Raanta gave up 12 goals on 12.65xG. He didn't play all the great, he didn't play poorly. The Bruins just didn't generate very much. The goaltender had little to do with it. Look at a guy like Jake Oettinger. He gave up 13 goals on 23.11xG. That's what a goalie effecting a series looks like. The flames should have swept the stars, but Otter played out of his mind. Raanta was just kinda there.
I thought he played well in Carolina especially in the first periods,he never let the Bruins get the first goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad