Stastny Poll (Blues fan coming in peace)

mattand1mixtape

Apr 2, 2013
I think he stays. Like a lot of other people have stated, he's on record of saying he wants to be apart of this team. There was also an interview with Duchene talking about the new system Sakic and Roy brought in and he said something along the lines of: "Paulie and I have talked countless hours about what we wanted with this team and the direction we wanted it to go, and now we finally have it." That obviously doesn't mean 100% Stas is staying, but I think he likes the direction this team is going and wants to be apart of it. Plus, who wouldn't want to play for Roy and Sakic?

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Blues fan coming in peace, I want you guys to represent the West.

Do you think your depth at center will factor into his decision any? With Duchene, MacKinnon (who I can only imagine the Avs want to give as much ice time as possible), and O'Reilly (a younger option) you guys seem like you have a log jam in the middle.

I don't know much about his personality, but it seems like he would get pushed to the back in a few years and some guys aren't too fond of that notion.

I think it's a longshot he signs with us and with the young talent he's surrounded with there I wouldn't blame him for re-signing. Just curious.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Blues fan coming in peace, I would want to guys to represent the West.

Do you think your depth at center will factor into his decision any? With Duchene, MacKinnon (who I can only imagine the Avs want to give as much ice time as possible), and O'Reilly (a younger option) you guys seem like you have a log jam in the middle.

I think it's a longshot he signs with us and with the young talent he's surrounded with there I wouldn't blame him for re-signing. Just curious.

His decision? Very doubtful and ROR and MacK are wings right now. Avs decision? Could... If Stastny stays ROR and MacK stay on the wing (ROR will probably stay there regardless). If Stastny leaves MacK probably moves back to center.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
ROR and MacKinnon are doing great at Wing.

If/when MacK gets moved to Center, Staz can play Wing. He's done it before, effectively.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Blues fan coming in peace, I want you guys to represent the West.

I don't know much about his personality, but it seems like he would get pushed to the back in a few years and some guys aren't too fond of that notion.

Nope, not if MacKinnon keeps playing wing. Here is our lineup for tonight. Bolded are players who have and can play center.

Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon
O'Reilly-Duchene-Parenteau
McGinn-Hishon-Talbot
McLeod-Cliche-Bordeleau

And Mitchell, who is injured, is also a center.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
I appreciate the responses. To most Blues fans that's our glimmer of hope to be able to get a #1C without giving away any assets (which after the turrible Miller trade we're running a tad short on).

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I appreciate the responses. To most Blues fans that's our glimmer of hope to be able to get a #1C without giving away any assets (which after the turrible Miller trade we're running a tad short on).

Could St. Louis even afford a market value Stastny? That's gotta be a $7mil cap hit, if not a little higher. He's third in the league for playoff scoring, tied for first in goals (as a playmaker) and just had a strong regular season both offensively and defensively. He's about as young as free agents can be and one of those rare 'makes players around him better' types (admittedly, he can only do so much... Porter, Stoa, Yip, Wolski all wish he could have kept them in the NHL during the Sacco days).

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Could St. Louis even afford a market value Stastny? That's gotta be a $7mil cap hit, if not a little higher. He's third in the league for playoff scoring, tied for first in goals (as a playmaker) and just had a strong regular season both offensively and defensively. He's about as young as free agents can be and one of those rare 'makes players around him better' types (admittedly, he can only do so much... Porter, Stoa, Yip, Wolski all wish he could have kept them in the NHL during the Sacco days).

Yeah, letting go of the dead weight of Roy, Morrow, and Ott clears ~8.5ish M. If we don't resign Miller that is just extra play money.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i think you could have had a pretty good chance if avs hadn't had the season they had and/or blues would have went deeper. now, i think stastny re-signs if avs give him the money.. how much that is, we don't know.

not trying to rub salt in to the wounds or anything. seriously.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
i think you could have had a pretty good chance if avs hadn't had the season they had and/or blues would have went deeper. now, i think stastny re-signs if avs give him the money.. how much that is, we don't know.

not trying to rub salt in to the wounds or anything. seriously.

Nah, completely understand and agree with your point.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The whole center wing thing is more of a moot point for the Avs than other teams. Roy's system does not rely on strict position ideals. Often ROR will take a face off for Duchene or not as often MacK will take a faceoff for Stastny.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He's more laid back, an understated personality. Not just saying this this because I want him to stay but I don't think he'd do as well as the #1C in the spotlight. He seems to do better in a more complimentary, although important role. His fit is good on the Avs where he's not the main focus but is still relied on to do some heavy lifting. If he gets paid $$$$ on a team with a big spotlight that's not the best situation for him. He got a lot of crap in Colorado for getting paid and not putting up superstar numbers and it will be much, much worse elsewhere if he's the big ticket FA? He's not flashy, people will think he disappears if he's not scoring all the time. He's also not going to a poor or rebuilding team for money. He's said several times quite clearly that he's done with losing and he's at a point in his career where actually winning something matters. So the people that throw out Buffalo, Florida, etc as suggestions are wrong, wrong. Anyway, I don't think being THE MAN is his primary objective either. Of course I'm sure he wants to be appreciated, and monetarily so but he's not someone looking for the biggest payday or for the superstar role. He wants to win and be appreciated is my take.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He's more laid back, an understated personality. Not just saying this this because I want him to stay but I don't think he'd do as well as the #1C in the spotlight. He seems to do better in a more complimentary, although important role. His fit is good on the Avs where he's not the main focus but is still relied on to do some heavy lifting. If he gets paid $$$$ on a team with a big spotlight that's not the best situation for him. He got a lot of crap in Colorado for getting paid and not putting up superstar numbers and it will be much, much worse elsewhere if he's the big ticket FA? He's not flashy, people will think he disappears if he's not scoring all the time. He's also not going to a poor or rebuilding team for money. He's said several times quite clearly that he's done with losing and he's at a point in his career where actually winning something matters. So the people that throw out Buffalo, Florida, etc as suggestions are wrong, wrong. Anyway, I don't think being THE MAN is his primary objective either. Of course I'm sure he wants to be appreciated, and monetarily so but he's not someone looking for the biggest payday or for the superstar role. He wants to win and be appreciated is my take.

Totally agree... any team signing him to be THE #1C on the team is going to be sorely disappointed. Stast is an elite #2C that can shutdown top lines and put up 55-65 points. Expecting more than that from him will lead to to disappointment.

Stastny will always do the best when there is a bigger offensive threat at center than he is. Right now he has that behind Duchene. He would have that in Anaheim with Getz (this is the team that I would be most scared of him going to). In St Louis he would be the guy at center, and I think he would struggle.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

This is extremely accurate, and probably what most Avs fans would say that have been fans since/before Stastny came into the league.

Also, the only way he succeeds in a true 'spotlight/offensive' #1 center role is if he has very good wingers who can finish.

Personally I'd actually argue that he currently is our '#1' center (And has been), as he plays against other teams top lines/faces the toughest competition, and is also expected to score at the same time.

Luckily both he and Landeskog are about as perfect as you could ask for in that role. There are only a few centers better at playing a combined shutdown/offensive role in the league, and their names are Toews, and Bergeron.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
To me, if we offer him a minimum of 6 million for 7/8 years and he doesn't stay, then he's welcome to leave. He's already made good money and now he's on a team with a good coach that's going to win things, if he wants to leave for the sake of extra money, I wouldn't want him on the team.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
We've been getting like three Stastny threads a week from Toronto fans since the EJ trade so you have a long way before catching up.

Averick*

This is extremely accurate, and probably what most Avs fans would say that have been fans since/before Stastny came into the league.

Also, the only way he succeeds in a true 'spotlight/offensive' #1 center role is if he has very good wingers who can finish.

Personally I'd actually argue that he currently is our '#1' center (And has been), as he plays against other teams top lines/faces the toughest competition, and is also expected to score at the same time.

Luckily both he and Landeskog are about as perfect as you could ask for in that role. There are only a few centers better at playing a combined shutdown/offensive role in the league, and their names are Toews, and Bergeron.

Stastny has benefited tremendously from MacKinnon's speed during this series. He hasn't had a lot of room otherwise. He could go somewhere else and do ok but Colorado is a tremendous set up for him. There's no doubt about it. Tiger's post was spot on.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I don't see any way he could walk away from this team if the money is anywhere close.

He played college hockey at DU, his dad and two uncles played for the Nords, he's been here his whole NHL career, he met his wife here, and he's surrounded by a ridiculously talented young team. MacKinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Varlamov, Barrie, and Johnson are all probably going to be here a very long time. I think Stastny knows he has a great chance to win a Stanley Cup here, and I think the Avs know Stastny is a huge part of the reason why.

MNRinkRat*

Honestly, I wouldn't count out the Wild when it comes to getting Stastny. If Vanek really wants to cash in, and the Wild choose to go a cheaper route, Stastny could be in play for them!

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Is ROR a center for your team, or his he like Ott in that he is classified on the team site as a center, but spends all his time at wing?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad