Stastny Poll (Blues fan coming in peace)

DaddyPadre

Jul 5, 2013
I come in peace just wondering what you guys think will happen with Paul. I know blues fans are dying to see if they can get him if he comes available. However, i was kind of confused reading some of Adater's tweets around deadline about him maybe being moved? I was curious if he likes the AVS and the situation how come he would just sign to avoid all this? Just some thoughts wanted to hear non Blues fans opinions too

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Dater is kind of an idiot. Many Avs fans do not rely on his coverage. Heck a bunch of volunteers from Europe Eurolanche do a better job interviewing and writing articles than the Denver media. Stastny is probably going to stay here with the emergence of the Landy- Stastny- MacKinnon line. He has ties to Denver and the franchise so he will probably resign at a lower amount.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Can't trust what Dater says about Stastny, all Dater has done for the last forever years is complain about Stastny and how he is overpaid. The guy could put up 200 points and win the Selke and Dater would still find something to complain about with Stastny.

I think he stays with Colorado though. He is happy here and I believe he is on record saying that he wants to be apart of this teams future. I think he might be willing to take a slight pay-cut (not much) and I don't think Roy/Sakic will low-ball him.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
I would've traded him at the deadline, because I think he's a goner. The closer a player gets to free agency, the higher the price goes up.

I like Stastny, but I'd rather them just go with Duchene/MacKinnon at center anyways and spend the money elsewhere.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I would've traded him at the deadline, because I think he's a goner. The closer a player gets to free agency, the higher the price goes up.

I like Stastny, but I'd rather them just go with Duchene/MacKinnon at center anyways and spend the money elsewhere.

The only guy who can replace Stastny's role on the team is O'Reilly, which means Duchene looses his linemate who covers for him defensively.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO

This would be the only chance we would have to sign him. The Avs needing to spend money on defense and allow Stastny to walk to do so. I'm not saying it's a likely scenario but it's the only way I see us getting him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This would be the only chance we would have to sign him. The Avs needing to spend money on defense and allow Stastny to walk to do so. I'm not saying it's a likely scenario but it's the only way I see us getting him.

The Avs have plenty of cap room to spend money on a defensemen and bring back Stastny. They don't have to choose.

Averick*

There's really not a defenseman free agent that's worth spending the kind of money that would also rule out signing Stastny. On top of that, the front office has always been resolute about using it's prospects. The Avs have Siemens, Bigras, and possibly Elliott coming through the pipeline.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

PAP and Wilson will pack their bags long before Stastny.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He's said he'll take a discount to stay in Colorado. It'll depend on what he views as a discount. Anything less than $6.5 gets a deal done.

If they can't work out a deal, I think St. Louis is his likely destination, but I highly doubt he chooses St. Louis over Colorado outright.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's said he'll take a discount to stay in Colorado. It'll depend on what he views as a discount. Anything less than $6.5 gets a deal done.

If they can't work out a deal, I think St. Louis is his likely destination, but I highly doubt he chooses St. Louis over Colorado outright.

I pretty much agree with this. If he takes the same contract he has now I consider it a hometown discount.

One thing I will say though, even though people like this make a lot more money than the average person, they value their salaries and goals very similar.
If I start off at a job making 50,000 a year, I eventually want to grow and make more.
Stastny has been making 6.5 or whatever it is for a few years now and even though it's a lot of money, he is at the age where athletes make the most they will ever make. He is hitting UFA for the first time after a season where he arguably played the best hockey of his life. Even though he will take a hometown discount for staying here I still think he will want to make more than he is getting right now. He's had a great career and he definitely would want to see a few more dollars on each of his paystubs. Even if it isn't a lot more, I think he deserves to see himself rewarded for his career so far.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm not much of a pro-Stastny guy, but I think he stays.

The only circumstance where he doesn't stay is if he's asking too much money and they can't agree to financials. But whether that happens or not is anybody's guess. There has been little to no information about any type of negotiations between the two parties. And any information that does leak out to media is pretty questionable from this team. They tend to stay very silent.

Averick*

I pretty much agree with this. If he takes the same contract he has now I consider it a hometown discount.

One thing I will say though, even though people like this make a lot more money than the average person, they value their salaries and goals very similar.
If I start off at a job making 50,000 a year, I eventually want to grow and make more.
Stastny has been making 6.5 or whatever it is for a few years now and even though it's a lot of money, he is at the age where athletes make the most they will ever make. He is hitting UFA for the first time after a season where he arguably played the best hockey of his life. Even though he will take a hometown discount for staying here I still think he will want to make more than he is getting right now. He's had a great career and he definitely would want to see a few more dollars on each of his paystubs. Even if it isn't a lot more, I think he deserves to see himself rewarded for his career so far.

Yeah, and 6.5 million doesn't go as far as it used to. A box of cereal at the grocery store isn't getting any cheaper.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah, and 6.5 million doesn't go as far as it used to. A box of cereal at the grocery store isn't getting any cheaper.

Like I said, it's not about how much it is. It's about growing, succeeding and earning more.

I make more than enough money right now that will allow me to live a very happy and comfortable life but if I get better at my job I will expect compensation to for that. Not because the price of food inflates, but because I have earned it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Yeah I pretty much agree with this sentiment.

If he had disappointed in the playoffs, then there would be a tougher decision but he's been exceptional...especially when you consider our injury situation AND he's brought his game to another level when the team needed him the most.

The rumors out there that the Avs are only going to offer $5M/yr is a joke and I don't believe to be accurate at all. It may certainly have been a starting point in negotiating a new deal but I highly doubt the Avs expected him to accept that offer or that it's their last offer.

In all reality, I'm quite certain there are teams that would be willing to offer him $7M per year and would use this year's playoffs to justify paying him that kind of money. Stastny said he'd be willing to give the team a discount to stay with this group. I've said it before, I think this gets done at $6M per year for 5 to 8 years but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a bit more than that.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

In order to spend money elsewhere, you have to have something to spend money on. There's no UFA defender worth the money Stastny will get, nor anyone on the Avs with a contract impending that will get anywhere near that much besides EJ and we have two years to budget for his raise.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pretty confident he'll be with the Avs long term. He's good friends with the whole team, plays a very important role, is well liked by the coach and management, lives in Denver and has since his early college days, and has already stated he wants to stay here and is willing to take less to be here.

Only reason he hasn't been signed yet is because we haven't started talking a contract with him yet. Were waiting until the season is over.

He'll sing for somewhere around 5.5-6M as the #2C for the next 5-7 years. ROR will remain on Wing, and Mackinnon will remain on the Wing.

In saying that, if he doesn't resign with Colorado, I dont understand why Blues fans feel like its a guarantee he signs with them. Other then it being his home town theres litterally zero other reasons why he would sign with them. If anything its pretty obvious he doesn't like the Blues team and likely wouldn't sign with them. Denver is his home more so then St. Louis.

I think if he leaves the Avs, it will be so he can become the go to guy on a team like NJD, FLA, CBJ, etc. Other wise he has no need to leave.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
In order to spend money elsewhere, you have to have something to spend money on. There's no UFA defender worth the money Stastny will get, nor anyone on the Avs with a contract impending that will get anywhere near that much besides EJ and we have two years to budget for his raise.

True, but what kind of contract does he want. Do we still want to be paying a 30+ year old center $6+ 3-5 years from now (or longer)? I'm not sure he's going to take a hometown discount either. Teams always get carried away in free agency, so he has leverage and will probably want market value at least, if not more. Maybe with the cap going up it's no big deal, but I'm always weary of overpaying aging players to term.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I come in peace just wondering what you guys think will happen with Paul. I know blues fans are dying to see if they can get him if he comes available. However, i was kind of confused reading some of Adater's tweets around deadline about him maybe being moved? I was curious if he likes the AVS and the situation how come he would just sign to avoid all this? Just some thoughts wanted to hear non Blues fans opinions too

I believe that the Avs would love to get him back, will try to get him back, but will ultimately be outbid by some other team with a great need at center.

Not sure whether that will be StL or not, as they have a number of pretty good young forwards on that team. 4 or 5 of whom they'll need to resign over the next two offseasons. And they really need to sign a goaltender also. So my guess is some other team will sign him via UFA. :(

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Pretty confident he'll be with the Avs long term. He's good friends with the whole team, plays a very important role, is well liked by the coach and management, lives in Denver and has since his early college days, and has already stated he wants to stay here and is willing to take less to be here.

I believe him when he says that, but I have a feeling it really doesn't mean very much. It would be interesting to do another poll, and ask Avs fans what that discount really means. Is it $1M per season? $500K per season?

My personal opinion is that Stastny would take a hometown discount that would be no more than 5% of his contract (and only then if he had a no-trade clause, but that's a bit of a different topic). So, I'm guessing Stastny could get a UFA contract offer like Bergeron's on the open market ($6.5M per), and 5% of that is $325K.

So, my opinion on Stastny's "discount" would be $300K per season. That's it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
True, but what kind of contract does he want. Do we still want to be paying a 30+ year old center $6+ 3-5 years from now (or longer)? I'm not sure he's going to take a hometown discount either. Teams always get carried away in free agency, so he has leverage and will probably want market value at least, if not more. Maybe with the cap going up it's no big deal, but I'm always weary of overpaying aging players to term.

6mil seems to be the sweet spot for his contract. I like the idea of offering it to both Stastny and ROR because it will create a hometown discount # for more of our players.

MacKinnon in a few years might be worth more than 6mil with the inflated cap situation, but 6mil could be his cutoff since all of his peers will make it. EJ could see himself making 5.5-6mil because the best players on the team got it as well.

With Duchy, Landy and Varly all in the 5.5-6mil range, we can afford to pay our top players that value going forward. Especially when guys like Phaneuf and Kessel are seeing 7 and 8mil respectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad