Stastny Poll (Blues fan coming in peace)

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You do if all your family and friends are there. Stastny said all his best friends he met at DU and he wants to live in Denver when he retires. Will he leave if he has to, absolutely. But I've been saying over and over again the decision is going to be made long before the market opens. Either he's going to be wanted in Colorado and given a contract that shows appreciation or he's going to look somewhere else. When there is emotion involved you don't get into a bidding war. Either you've decided to stay or you've decided to go.

If this were true every player would play in high school/college/pros in the same area and for the same city. I wholeheartedly agree that there ARE some players out there like that, but you're making a broad assumption that Stastny is one of those guys without knowing the guy personally.

I have family here, I love Colorado, and every single one of my friends is here. But if I got a job making 25% more in Vancouver, I'd take it. Vancouver's the one city I would move to if I had the chance.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Assuming what? That he said he wants to live in Denver when he retires? I heard him say that when he was interviewed during a DU game before the Olympics. Assuming that leaving a team that you've been with for 8 years is going to involve some emotion? That's human nature. I'm not saying it's going to go one way or the other. All I'm trying to say is look at the whole situation from a different angle is all.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
The avs absolutely should go up to 6.5 and I'd argue even 7 per to keep staz around. The impact he has had on making everyone's development smoother in our rebuild was monumental and even know he's excelling taking on the hardest job of any avs forward. As the slightly older brother of this crew, he's a great voice to keep in the lockerroom, and he's an excellent player who fits our team wonderfully. We can afford to hand both him and O'Reilly 6.5 while adding a top 4 dman and keeping Barrie&McGinn, so if that's what it takes we absolutely should. And since I don't see any team being in position to offer staz 7+ and being desperate enough to do it, if they're willing to add a limited NMC, I'm almost certain the avs will be able to make an offer that basically matches any he'll see. So a team would basically need to convince him that he would rather play somewhere else and there's not many clubs that offer both the opportunity to win that Staz has emphasized, the opportunity for personal success and enjoyment, and the financial situation to make the offer more appealing than staying.

This guy gets it. Good post.

I've said it before but it bears repeating -- if the Avs weren't prepared to go as high as $7M, they had no business keeping Stastny beyond the trade deadline, and people should be very concerned about the new regime's asset management. (You could make an argument for not moving him and taking that risk if the team was contending for a Cup run, but it's clear we weren't.)

I'm not saying he will or should get that much. But realistically, that's what a player of his calibre can get on the open market. And trying to refute this point by saying, "well hopefully he signs before he gets an offer from another team" is a bogus counterpoint. Impending UFAs will always have more leverage simply because they are that close to free agency. Their price goes up just because they have the opportunity to listen to other offers if they don't like what they hear. Like Tiger says, it has to be handled more delicately.

I think Stastny stays in Denver, FWIW, because I think Sakic/Roy are prepared to pay for him, else they would've moved him at the deadline. My guess is that he signs for $6.8M, and yes, I'd consider that a hometown discount.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

I've said it before but it bears repeating -- if the Avs weren't prepared to go as high as $7M, they had no business keeping Stastny beyond the trade deadline, and people should be very concerned about the new regime's asset management. (You could make an argument for not moving him and taking that risk if the team was contending for a Cup run, but it's clear we weren't.)

I'm not saying he will or should get that much. But realistically, that's what a player of his calibre can get on the open market. And trying to refute this point by saying, "well hopefully he signs before he gets an offer from another team" is a bogus counterpoint. Impending UFAs will always have more leverage simply because they are that close to free agency. Their price goes up just because they have the opportunity to listen to other offers if they don't like what they hear. Like Tiger says, it has to be handled more delicately.

I think Stastny stays in Denver, FWIW, because I think Sakic/Roy are prepared to pay for him, else they would've moved him at the deadline. My guess is that he signs for $6.8M, and yes, I'd consider that a hometown discount.

7 x 7, limited NMC/NTC, just sign the Man. :nod:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If this were true every player would play in high school/college/pros in the same area and for the same city. I wholeheartedly agree that there ARE some players out there like that, but you're making a broad assumption that Stastny is one of those guys without knowing the guy personally.

I have family here, I love Colorado, and every single one of my friends is here. But if I got a job making 25% more in Vancouver, I'd take it. Vancouver's the one city I would move to if I had the chance.

Sure, that might be great if you're an accountant or an architect or something. But the parameters you've set (Money+City) are simply NOT the only 2 factors that he'd be looking at though:

* is the new team going to be in a position to win a cup within the length of his contract?
* is he going to fit into that team as a top-6 forward?
* is he going to play with good wingers or is he going to re-join David Jones and T.J. Galiardi in Calgary, for example?! :laugh:
* what kind of coach is he going to be playing for? Another 'dump & chase' simpleton like he had to deal with, for FOUR years prior to this one???

It's not as cut & dry as you're making it out to be, at least not in my opinion.

7 x 7, limited NMC/NTC, just sign the Man. :nod:

Guys, it's not going to be that high. I understand that he's set to become a UFA but let's just look at this rationally:

2013 Free Agent Signings
Filpulla - $5M per year (disappointing shortened season but had put up 66pts the year prior)
Weiss - $4.9M per year (injury-plagued shortened season but had put up 57pts the year prior)
Ribeiro - $5.5M per year (had just come off putting up over a PPG 49pts in 48gp with the caps in the shortened season)

Those are all UFA deals last summer, within the new CBA. I've maintained for a long while that his true comparable is Joe Pavelski who is making $6M/year. It might go to $6.25M or $6.5M but that's as high as I can possibly imagine the Avs paying. When you consider these deals:

Kopitar - $6.8M
Thornton - $6.75M
Datsyuk - $6.70M
Marleau - $6.66M
Kane - $6.5M
Toews - $6.5M

I just don't see too many other teams jumping on board offering him that much more than the Avs.

I'll agree with Tigervixxen, if Stastny 'really wants to test out the waters on July 1st', he's as good as gone in my opinion. I think if that were to happen, the Avs would move on from him in that situation.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'll agree with Tigervixxen, if Stastny 'really wants to test out the waters on July 1st', he's as good as gone in my opinion. I think if that were to happen, the Avs would move on from him in that situation.

My gut feel is that they've already given him numbers, and he's going to test the market against them. If he was going to re-sign at lowball, the offer's probably already there waiting ink.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
8 yrs 50 million. Declining in actual salary as it goes with movement protection.

I'm sticking with that until something else breaks in the legitimate rumor mill.

Just seems like the perfect deal to keep Stastny in the Burgandy and Blue for his career as he could get the 1 yr deals after like Hejduk did..

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
My gut feel is that they've already given him numbers, and he's going to test the market against them. If he was going to re-sign at lowball, the offer's probably already there waiting ink.

Well, it's been documented that they've agreed to talk after the season is over so perhaps the Stastny camp has received a preliminary offer to re-sign with the club but agreeing to talk at a later date also suggests there's more haggling to do on both sides.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
I really think the Avs should resign Statsny. Any team that signs him will instantly become better. I would love for the Leafs to get him, but we're stuck with some horrible contracts.:rant:

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Well, it's been documented that they've agreed to talk after the season is over so perhaps the Stastny camp has received a preliminary offer to re-sign with the club but agreeing to talk at a later date also suggests there's more haggling to do on both sides.

As long as the Avs give him a fair offer, that's all we can ask for. Let's just hope the Avs don't low ball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad