Stastny in need of a shooter?

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014
When are we going to get the C we paid top dollar for a scorer to play with instead of the likes of Berglund, Lindstrom, Porter. The guy can't do anything with a scrub like berglund. Obviously you don't break up Lehtera and Tara. However, when Steen was played with him Steen got overly cute with the puck instead of shooting. Only in house option is Rattie who obviously is a pure goal scorer at the AHL level so far and the other option is trade. We can't rely on Vladdy all season

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes we need to upgrade Lindstrom but no it isn't him and Berglund's fault that Stastny looks like crap. I'll give him some benefit of the doubt that he's learning a new system and such, but I want to see a lot more out of him. Skate harder, battle for pucks harder, maybe try shooting a puck every once in a while, etc. There's a lot of things he could be doing more of that Berglund and Lindstrom really have zero effect on. He needs to step it up.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Statsny was mediocre for a number of years, then had a big season last year as a UFA...doesn't surprise me he's mediocre again.

Blues got hosed on this signing IMO

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Statsny was mediocre for a number of years, then had a big season last year as a UFA...doesn't surprise me he's mediocre again.

Blues got hosed on this signing IMO
Actually I think it's the other way around. He's always been a 60-point good player. Only really had one down year in the shortened season, which doesn't say much.

Do I think in reality he's worth 7 million? No, he's worth no more than 6 million tops, but it's a signing the Blues had to make. We desperately needed to improve at center, and we couldn't bank on Lehtera to play this well because I don't think anyone really expected his transition to be this smooth.

I think Stastny will eventually turn it around. There are worse contracts out there too.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Actually I think it's the other way around. He's always been a 60-point good player. Only really had one down year in the shortened season, which doesn't say much.

Do I think in reality he's worth 7 million? No, he's worth no more than 6 million tops, but it's a signing the Blues had to make. We desperately needed to improve at center, and we couldn't bank on Lehtera to play this well because I don't think anyone really expected his transition to be this smooth.

I think Stastny will eventually turn it around. There are worse contracts out there too.
Totally agree here. He's a tad overpaid but it's not a huge deal to me. Plus, if we lose any of Lehtera or Backes to injury we'll be glad we have him.

That being said I do hope they try to upgrade Lindstoms spot at some point. Berglund's actually been pretty solid lately imo, hope he keeps it up and keeps shooting the puck. I was hoping they would try Pajaarvi with Bergs and Stas for a few games but admittedly he looks pretty useless out there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The years that Stastny had production below his usual amount, he had crap linemates. Every year he's had quality linemates, he's had good production. His goal scoring has been consistent every season, the only thing that changes is his assist totals.

It makes sense because he is a playmaking center. Since he's not an elite playmaking center like Thornton, he can't turn crap into gold, so his assists will fluctuate depending on who he is with, much like when we had Doug Weight.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
In sum, yes.....we still need a great scorer to pair with Stastny. I'm thinking of someone along the lines of the wingers that typically are available at the trade deadline such as Gabby, Vanek etc who were available last year.

Compare two plays last night: Staz makes a great blitz pass to Bergy at the head of the crease and Bergy muffs it. Kopitar makes a great blitz pass to Gaborek at the head of the crease and he buries it for a goal. Gaborek also had the more difficult shot to make and made the play.

Stastny has had a bit of a rough start but he is starting to make a few great plays every game. We need another sniper to accompany Stastny on the second line (behind the STL line).

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If Bergy keeps playing the way he is, why not try Rattie with them? I'd much rather we try Jaskin though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Rattie wouldn't be very good in the NHL right now IMO. He wouldn't be any better than Lindstrom IMO. Hell, even Jaskin wasn't that effective when he was up and I support him. He didn't get much time, but the main reason I wanted him in was because everyone was playing like crap, but Jaskin would at least be physical. Now, the other players are improving, so I don't mind Jaskin not being here.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Rattie wouldn't be very good in the NHL right now IMO. He wouldn't be any better than Lindstrom IMO. Hell, even Jaskin wasn't that effective when he was up and I support him. He didn't get much time, but the main reason I wanted him in was because everyone was playing like crap, but Jaskin would at least be physical. Now, the other players are improving, so I don't mind Jaskin not being here.
Berglund is improving. Jaskin's competition (Lindstrom/Paajarvi) aren't.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Berglund is improving. Jaskin's competition (Lindstrom/Paajarvi) aren't.

I'm a Jaskin supporter and would like him here, but right now, he isn't an improvement over them production wise, and bringing him up would mean we risk losing someone else.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
I don't know, I think the he's kinda underused actually. He plays what, 15-16 mins per game, while Steen and Backes most nights play well above 20 mins. A lot of that is matchups and the fact that Stas hardly gets any time on the PK, but if we could even those minutes out a little, that would help. Trust him with heavy minutes, ie give him a chance to really build some confidence and chemistry with his linemates, and give him time on the ice to really be a difference maker.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yes Stastny's line would be more productive with an upgrade at RW. No, its probably not going to happen soon. The cap space needs to accumulate so that a deadline rental can be obtained with futures without parting with anyone off the roster (OK, maybe someone like Paajarvi). Stastny needs to play better, but he still has PP time to show improved production too.

Berglund is playing very well right now. If he hadn't had a couple posts in recent games, he could very well be on a scoring spree. I think its coming, he just needs to keep it up. I'm not a fan of trading him at the moment, but I think he's going to be gone in the off-season. Trading him for an upgrade at wing still leaves Lindstrom/Paajarvi as the other wing, which is a problem.

SOB needs to be kept intact and let the Stastny line just do whatever it can manage to do. Don't fixate on his numbers. Steen and Oshie finally are starting to play better when they're getting consistent time back with a line that has known chemistry. The STL line also has tremendous chemistry. I say just let the chips fall and don't hand-wring about Stastny's salary. He'll be important in the post-season, and with an upgrade at wing (a shooter) that line could become a serious threat. Meanwhile, the team can win a lot of games with what they have right now.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If Berglund is moved. Depends what he would want and what Tarasenko/Jackman get.

If Radulov signs in the NHL, he'll probably be looking for a long term deal. While we could undoubtedly afford him next season, our cap problems kick in for the 2016/17 season.

Tarasenko, Schwartz and Lehterä currently earn $6m, by the start of 2016/17 it isn't unrealistic to see that at $18m if they maintain anything near their current form. Then Backes, Gunnarsson and Allen are all due raises in that time.

If we want Radulov, then we need to trade Berglund and Backes in the summer. Or be happy to let Backes walk as an UFA in 2016.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Radulov signs in the NHL, he'll probably be looking for a long term deal. While we could undoubtedly afford him next season, our cap problems kick in for the 2016/17 season.

Tarasenko, Schwartz and Lehterä currently earn $6m, by the start of 2016/17 it isn't unrealistic to see that at $18m if they maintain anything near their current form. Then Backes, Gunnarsson and Allen are all due raises in that time.

If we want Radulov, then we need to trade Berglund and Backes in the summer. Or be happy to let Backes walk as an UFA in 2016.

I actually wouldn't expect Radulov to want a long contract. Obviously if he wants a long term, high money deal it wouldn't work out. But if he can be had at around 5 mil for 1-2 years it would be dumb not to bring him in. $$$ should be lost in Jackman and Ott and the cap is set to rise. I also don't see the STL making 18 mill or one of them will be gone anyway.

I just wouldn't want to see the Blues pass up on someone who is more than likely going to be a top 10 winger to keep any one select player.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No Radu here, he's so arrogant and playing only to himself. Same thing is with Kovalchuk. They just have too big ego and they own they KHL teams. No affect coach or GM's they say what they want and everybody follows or they won't play good. If they would come here they would destroy everything. Tarasenko would be come Taylor Hall vol.2 and Backes have to beat up somebody in every practise. Thou I would like to see Backes fighting with Radulov.

I prefer Jagr on trade deadline. What Jagr would cost to us? Would it be Pääjärvi + 2nd round pick/Rattie?

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No Radu here, he's so arrogant and playing only to himself. Same thing is with Kovalchuk. They just have too big ego and they own they KHL teams. No affect coach or GM's they say what they want and everybody follows or they won't play good. If they would come here they would destroy everything. Tarasenko would be come Taylor Hall vol.2 and Backes have to beat up somebody in every practise. Thou I would like to see Backes fighting with Radulov.

I prefer Jagr on trade deadline. What Jagr would cost to us? Would it be Pääjärvi + 2nd round pick/Rattie?

Oh man, really? :laugh:

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014

There's videos of Radulov hitting his coach on the bench. If people actually want that doucher on this team.. idk what to think lol.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's videos of Radulov hitting his coach on the bench. If people actually want that doucher on this team.. idk what to think lol.

I somewhat remember that and also remember hearing he meant to hit the glass (thought I remember the coach saying something about that too). Either way, yeah it was pretty stupid.

Backes and Tarasenko recently got into a fight at practice too, miswell cut them for an incident.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I somewhat remember that and also remember hearing he meant to hit the glass (thought I remember the coach saying something about that too). Either way, yeah it was pretty stupid.

Backes and Tarasenko recently got into a fight at practice too, miswell cut them for an incident.

That's not even remotely comparable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad