Starting Six: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Lineup

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Wins, Shutouts, playoff wins and yes even 3 SC rings to Murray's 2. Like I said, he will most likely get there at some point but disregarding Fleury's accomplishments over his tenure and saying Murray has been greater in less than 2 yrs is fool hardy.

Who would have ever thought that a goalie who plays with 2 generational talents on a stacked team would have the best team stats in his tenure as a penguin?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Mario played quite a bit of left wing (and almost exclusively when he was playing with Jagr), so I probably put him there and have Crosby at center.

Not sure where I come down on Fleury vs Barrasso. Gun to my head, I probably say Barrasso, but I'm not at all confident in that.

Agree on Letang over Gonchar or Murphy, even though a Letang-Coffey pair would be a problem.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Barrasso had his fair share of playoff failures, as well as regular season failures. I'd say Fleury is ahead of him at this point just based on the fact he was more consistent in the regular season for longer than Barrasso was.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Mario played quite a bit of left wing (and almost exclusively when he was playing with Jagr), so I probably put him there and have Crosby at center.

Not sure where I come down on Fleury vs Barrasso. Gun to my head, I probably say Barrasso, but I'm not at all confident in that.

Agree on Letang over Gonchar or Murphy, even though a Letang-Coffey pair would be a problem.

This.

Mario Crosby Jagr
Stevens Malkin Kovalev

Letang Coffey
Murphy Carlyle

Fleury

(Fleury is bettre than Barrasso was. MM is obviously WAY better than Fleury but he's only been here for 1.3 seasons. )

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Leclair, Robitaille, and Hossa have no place near this list, imo.
None of them were here for any significant time, and John Leclair is pretty much the reason Malkin has had shoulder problems since before his 1st regular season.

Stevens deserves that top LW spot.

I don't know how many of you had the opportunity to watch Larry Murphy night in and night out, but he's the steadiest and best all-around defenseman that ever played for the Pens. He was far better defensively than Coffee or Gonchar, and far better at running a powerplay than Letang. Also, he never hurt the Pens with stupid decisions or actions the way Letang can. He played in all situations and was a calming influence on everyone on the ice. He's quite possibly the most underrated defenseman in the history of the NHL.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I was gonna ask whether there was a case for doing this. Seemed obvious to me but I never saw Lemieux play wing.

And, again this might be a new fan thing, but I'm pretty happy to jump the gun and anoint Murray on the basis of those back-to-back cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad