Starting Six: Pittsburgh Penguins All-Time Lineup

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree with Fleury being the starter over Barrasso (will be Murray in the future anyway), Stevens at LW over Straka (although LW is pretty barren in the Penguins history) and Gonchar over Letang. I feel like the article only got the obvious ones right.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The Starting Six series comes to you to dive into the best player at each position all-time for every organization. The biggest and best at each position, with the most memorable moments in franchise history. Here is the Pittsburgh Penguins all-time lineup.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/08/11/pittsburgh-penguins-all-time-lineup/

I would put Barraso over Fleury but honestly think Murray will be the best. The only other player that should be considered is Murphy but that is close with Gonchar. I would go with Murphy though but it is close. Stevens was a beast before the KO on the ice in the 93 playoffs. Arguably the best power forward in the game during his top years.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I disagree with Fleury being the starter over Barrasso (will be Murray in the future anyway), Stevens at LW over Straka (although LW is pretty barren in the Penguins history) and Gonchar over Letang. I feel like the article only got the obvious ones right.

Stevens was a stud so hardly barren. Would have been a Hall of Fame player if not for that KO face destroying hit. He was arguably the best LW in the game at his prime. The Pens also had other great LW's like Robitaille and Straka is not close to near the top.

Letang is pretty good and so is Gonchar and are both great choices but I will go with the Hall of Fame players Coffey and Murphy.

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr
Coffey-Murphy
Murray (Barraso most likely deserves this but I believe Murray will keep his statistical play which will make him the clear pick in just a few years.

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Personally, I would put in Letang over Gonchar (and Murphy) and Barrasso over MAF, though the goalie situation is close. Also, I think it's kind of interesting that Barrasso and MAF are polar opposites personality-wise.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Personally, I would put in Letang over Gonchar (and Murphy) and Barrasso over MAF, though the goalie situation is close. Also, I think it's kind of interesting that Barrasso and MAF are polar opposites personality-wise.

No possible way I have MAF anywhere near my all time roster. I would put Murray's short career over MAF right now. Statistically he was an average starting goalie. Barrasso was a better goalie for his time than MAF but goalies did not have great numbers statistically back then compared to now. I think it is a combination of how the game was played with much more offense and goalie equipment size.

Like I said I will go with the two Hall of Fame defenseman but Letang and Gonchar are both great defenseman.

1st Line, 1st pairing D, starting goalie

Stevens-Lemieux-Jagr
Coffey-Murphy
Murray

2nd Line, 2nd pairing D, back up goalie

Robitaille-Crosby-Recchi
Gonchar-Letang
Barrasso

3rd Line, 3rd pairing

Nedved-Malkin-Kovalev
Hatcher-Zubov

4th Line

Leclair-Francis-Tocchet

That is my starting lineup just from players I am remembering off the top of my head. These are also guys I watched play so people before the mid 80's I did not pick and some should be on this list I am sure. But this team could take on any all time team. Of course I would move guys around to make the best line combos for example I would move one of those 4th line wingers to the 3rd line so each line had that power forward. I would actually move Tocchet on the first line to unite the best 1st line in Pens history. Jagr could help make another line better because Mario was the best player to lace up a pair of skates and only injuries prevented him from getting the credit he deserved as the best player ever. A healthy 66 in his prime was better than a healthy 99.

Playing lineup for forwards.

Stevens-Mario-Tocchet
Robitaille-Crosby-Recchi
Nedved-Malkin-Jagr
Leclair-Francis-Kovalev

So let's call this my best team of the past 25 years team.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

tenor.gif

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I think Letang is easily better than Gonchar was as a Pen, and had a longer tenure here. Really don't see why Gonchar is there.

Hard to argue with he rest of the list.

MM should overtake Fleury after 5+ years of regular season success.

PensWin87

Aug 8, 2017
Stevens Lemieux Jagr
Hossa Crosby Kovalev
Robitaille Malkin Kessel
Tocchet Francis Recchi

Coffey Murphy
Letang Gonchar
Zubov Hatcher

Fleury/Murray

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Stevens Lemieux Jagr
Hossa Crosby Kovalev
Robitaille Malkin Kessel
Tocchet Francis Recchi

Coffey Murphy
Letang Gonchar
Zubov Hatcher

Fleury/Murray

Pretty close to mine but you are kind of cheating with putting a couple RW's at LW. Although if you did build a team it would be the best way to go if some of the RW's could play LW. Same exact D but no way I start MAF over Murray or Barrasso. If I could have the Pens all time team play against the other teams best all time teams no wY would I want MAF in that game for us.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

John LeClair was a 3 time 50 goal scorer and hit 97 points twice. I would have no problem with him on the all time 4th line LW. Like I said in my post I was doing this off the top of my head and just going off players I watched from the mid 80's on. I am sure looking into it further some spots would change. I still would put that team against any other organization.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'd take Murray as of today and Barrasso over Fleury. If we don't care about a player's tenure with the Pens I might take prime Vokoun and prime Thibault over Fleury too.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I'd take Murray as of today and Barrasso over Fleury. If we don't care about a player's tenure with the Pens I might take prime Vokoun and prime Thibault over Fleury too.

Fleury was our starter for 10 years, played in 2 finals and won 1 SC.
MM was here for 1.3 years and won 2 cups.

MM may have accomplished more than Fleury already but you don't just erase what Fleury has accomplished here over a decade.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
John LeClair was a 3 time 50 goal scorer and hit 97 points twice. I would have no problem with him on the all time 4th line LW. Like I said in my post I was doing this off the top of my head and just going off players I watched from the mid 80's on. I am sure looking into it further some spots would change. I still would put that team against any other organization.

This is the problem seen in here, people are taking NHL career success elsewhere and pasting it as Pittsburgh Penguin success. It's not all relevant when talking a single team's all-time greats.

Barrasso as a Penguin doesn't beat out Fleury, and Murray will need to do quite a bit for a long time as a Penguin to oust him as well.

Stevens, Lemieux, Jagr
Straka, Francis, Kehoe
Kunitz, Crosby, Kessel
Kovalev, Malkin, Recchi
Mullen, Syl Apps, Pronovost
Nedved

Coffey, Murphy
Letang, Stackhouse
Carlyle, Burrows
Gonchar, Samuelsson

Fleury/Barrasso

It's not the Stanley Cup all-time pittsburgh team lineup.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Fleury was our starter for 10 years, played in 2 finals and won 1 SC.
MM was here for 1.3 years and won 2 cups.

MM may have accomplished more than Fleury already but you don't just erase what Fleury has accomplished here over a decade.

I said if we don't consider the length of someones tenure, I'd go with a prime Vokoun over prime MAF. Fleury was awful at times.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
25-66-68
77-55 (Murphy)

Love Murray but he has quite a way to go de-thrown MAF's accomplishments as a Penguin. He'll most likely get there at some point just not yet.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
25-66-68
77-55 (Murphy)

Love Murray but he has quite a way to go de-thrown MAF's accomplishments as a Penguin. He'll most likely get there at some point just not yet.

You mean Murray's 2 Stanley Cup rings? What are these accomplishments Fleury has over Murray? A decade of finishing in the bottom third of goalie statitiscs? Fleury has obviously played in more games but id take quality over quantity any day.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Really? Cause all I remember him doing in a Penguins jersey was be slow and mostly useless, and delay Malkin's debut by injuring him in practice. What he did outside of Pittsburgh is utterly irrelevant for this topic.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
You mean Murray's 2 Stanley Cup rings? What are these accomplishments Fleury has over Murray? A decade of finishing in the bottom third of goalie statitiscs? Fleury has obviously played in more games but id take quality over quantity any day.

Wins, Shutouts, playoff wins and yes even 3 SC rings to Murray's 2. Like I said, he will most likely get there at some point but disregarding Fleury's accomplishments over his tenure and saying Murray has been greater in less than 2 yrs is fool hardy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Wins, Shutouts, playoff wins and yes even 3 SC rings to Murray's 2. Like I said, he will most likely get there at some point but disregarding Fleury's accomplishments over his tenure and saying Murray has been greater in less than 2 yrs is fool hardy.

Agree to disagree.

Go Pens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad