Start Your Franchise Draft I

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
One more person needed. I'm just going to randomize for the reasons Gin noted. Feel like it's more of an indicative picture then.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So how does it work once everyone makes their picks? Do we then vote to rank them 1-30 or something like that?

Also couldn't there be more than 1 player on each team that could/would/should be picked in the top 30?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
So how does it work once everyone makes their picks? Do we then vote to rank them 1-30 or something like that?

Also couldn't there be more than 1 player on each team that could/would/should be picked in the top 30?

I'm more or less interested in seeing how this fluctuates over time. Like maybe we do it again mid-season, pre-2017, etc...

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
So are only 1 player per team then? Seems like if you want the most accurate representation then scrap the team idea and just draft players 1-30

I like the team idea purely because, say if the A's started over. They wouldn't take a guy like Miguel Cabrera, but they'd still jump all over a guy like Harper or Trout. So, it forces you to think a bit in certain spots.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I like the team idea purely because, say if the A's started over. They wouldn't take a guy like Miguel Cabrera, but they'd still jump all over a guy like Harper or Trout. So, it forces you to think a bit in certain spots.

Oooohhhh, I see. You are the GM of a team and pick based on that team's current situation/needs. I thought it was if I was assigned the Blue Jays and Astros then I would pick one player off of the Jays and one player off of the Astros. I get it now.

Although if you are starting a franchise and everyone is up for grabs then wouldn't every team essentially be starting from scratch and in that case you just take the best player available. I guess contract/money factors in a bit but not as much in a vacuum.

Or are you talking that the A's would select Harper and he would get added to their current line-up?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Oooohhhh, I see. You are the GM of a team and pick based on that team's current situation/needs. I thought it was if I was assigned the Blue Jays and Astros then I would pick one player off of the Jays and one player off of the Astros. I get it now.

Although if you are starting a franchise and everyone is up for grabs then wouldn't every team essentially be starting from scratch and in that case you just take the best player available. I guess contract/money factors in a bit but not as much in a vacuum.

Or are you talking that the A's would select Harper and he would get added to their current line-up?

Exactly. Every roster is starting from scratch, but if you pick Trout, you're paying him 25m a year, for example. No one is going to pass on him or Harper, but guys like Cabrera will fall into certain places.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Clock starts tomorrow at 9 am EST, however, you can start making picks now. Big McLargehuge has the first pick with the San Francisco Giants.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So... this is what I don't get.

If I was a low budget team like TB or MIA, I should take a good but cost controlled player? And if I was LAD or NYY, I take a star with a huge contract?

Or, should we just take BPA in our opinion?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I was debating this aswell. I think you take those types of things into consideration RS, but if it's elite talent it's a no brainer no matter the circumstances. Obviously there are exceptions.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So... this is what I don't get.

If I was a low budget team like TB or MIA, I should take a good but cost controlled player? And if I was LAD or NYY, I take a star with a huge contract?

Or, should we just take BPA in our opinion?

I too wondered this. Since we are only choosing 1 player and no other players on the roster it kind of seems out of context. Like why not take Miggy and his bazillion dollar contract? If he's your only player what difference does it make about the salaries, positional need or age of player? It's all in a vacuum and we don't really have any frame of reference or incentive to build towards a goal. That's why I don't get the team thing exactly.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Budgets need to be taken into account IMO. I don't see A's for example taking David Price. At least if I had A's I probably wouldn't take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad